93 Deville preignition or pinging
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 93 Deville preignition or pinging in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've tried everything I could think of and I can't get this pinging to go away. I always run premium, ...
    Jonathan11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Coupe Deviile

93 Deville preignition or pinging

I've tried everything I could think of and I can't get this pinging to go away. I always run premium, I even put octane booster in it.
    Checked the timing, changed the egr valve and egr solenoid, rodded out the egr ports in the throttle body and shot compressed air
    through the ports with the egr valve off, Checked fuel pressure, doesn't have a vacuum leak, did a decarb on the engine, I'm not getting
    codes, I'm out of ideas. Is there a way to check the spark control module? Is there anything else with the egr system? Is there a knock sensor circuit? Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

scooter500 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 sedan deville

Re: 93 Cadillac Deville preignition /pinging please help

Yes, there is a knock sensor. They are going for as low as $21 on ebay. Here's a recent post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-diagram.html

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville
    Not on a 4.9

Jonathan11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Coupe Deviile

I keep hearing mixed feedback on that. rather or not there's a knock sensor. Most people tell me there isn't and a mechanic told me he'd be surprised if there isn't.

----------

Is there anything else on the egr system other than the valve and the solenoid? I rodded the egr ports out and the ports were caked with carbon. Is there a better way to clean those ports?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 93 Deville preignition /pinging please help

Octane "booster" - read the fine print. May boost octane up to X points ........ where X is a decimal, as in 87.0 octane to 87.2 octane "boost". Forget about using the stuff.

When does the ping occur ?? All the time, all rpm, or only on light to moderate acceleration or - if at speed - moderate throttle application ?

EGR usually pings during the above operations - bad timing or a bad (carbon tracked or cracked) distributor cap may ping almost all the time.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The 4.9 DOES NOT have a knock sensor.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    When was the car tuned up? A weak ignition spark will cause a spark knock very easily.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

[QUOTE=Jonathan11;11140489]I keep hearing mixed feedback on that. rather or not there's a knock sensor. Most people tell me there isn't and a mechanic told me he'd be surprised if there isn't.[COLOR="Silver"]

Your mechanic is wrong. I own a 93 deville and I can guarantee there is not a knock sensor on it.

houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Octane "booster" - read the fine print. May boost octane up to X points ........ where X is a decimal, as in 87.0 octane to 87.2 octane "boost". Forget about using the stuff.

When does the ping occur ?? All the time, all rpm, or only on light to moderate acceleration or - if at speed - moderate throttle application ?

EGR usually pings during the above operations - bad timing or a bad (carbon tracked or cracked) distributor cap may ping almost all the time.
    toluene from any hardware or paint supply store is the best octane booster that u can buy, i always use it in my turboed hayabusa to help prevent detonation read\the link below

http://sportscarforums.com/f13/tolue...oice-3257.html

Jonathan11 / Ranger / All, Real sorry! Part is actually listed for a 4.9L, plus Chevy went to those ~87... am really surprised.

If you can find it and post a picture of it on your car, I for one would be very interested to see it. It certainly is not shown or listed in any of these diagrams.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...014&SortKey=12

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...013&SortKey=15

I was thinking if there is no knock sensor then it makes sense that high octane is stated as required, even though the stock compression on a new 4.9L engine wouldn't seem to require high octane.. I'll keep pumping high(er) octane! Newb question... has anyone ever retarded timing to 9* or 8* to compensate in a knock situation like this?

I don't think that would help as the PCM controls the timing. You only set the base timing and the PCM takes it from there. I'm guessing it would compensate for your compensation.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

It's not just compression that makes cars need higher octane it's also how it's tuned for performance.

The computer might not compensate for the lower timing. That's usually what the knock sensor is for so the car can push the advance to it's limits. It was said around here before that you can set the timing a couple degrees lower if you aren't running premium gas. I'd just leave it alone and work on what the real problem is, but you're already trying to do that.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It's probably severely carboned up from a lifetime of slow driving. If it was mine I would run it hard (race a couple Mustangs) to see if it comes out of it. There could be something wrong with the PCM too. I would try another PCM 2nd. My 92 would never ping and I always ran regular fuel. Good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.