1999 Deville rattles when turning right
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By rodnok01
  • 1 Post By MoistCabbage
  • 1 Post By rodnok01
  • 1 Post By Ranger
  • 1 Post By Ranger
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Deville rattles when turning right in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am new here so I will start with a question that someone hopefully can answer. My Cadillac rattles when ...
    morty9614 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

Cool 1999 Deville rattles when turning right

I am new here so I will start with a question that someone hopefully can answer. My Cadillac rattles when turning right ONLY. Not that nasty grinding noise you usually get when you have dry wheel bearings or bad ones. Sounds like a small pebble inside an empty soda can ! Not pebbles plural...but singly. Ok...this id just plain weird what I am about to ask. Considering laws of gravity and motion, I am being told it's my starter bendix . Like it touches my flywheel as my " boat " ebbs toward the right as I turn. Like a ball on my dash, it will roll to the left as the car turns right. This is FUNNY to me ! Like the bendix is not retracting enough. I have had the front end checked too. No problems with rack & pinions, knuckles, axles etc. Somewhere oin the Internet ( I forgot the URL ) the mechanic says while rare, this can indeed happen ! Uhh...its a major job playing " let's hope this is it ma " to replace the starter on a Northstar. I can do it myself, but its still a pain. ( good vid on You Tube for starter replace on a Northstar too ). Any input will be appreciated ! Thanks....Terry ( morty9614 ) Yes...I am a mortician ! ( we LOVE our black Caddys ) !!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: 1999 Deville rattles when turning right

Not sure where you sound is coming from but there has been a couple with starter contacting flexplate when turning. Rare for sure.
    morty9614 likes this.

Thanks for responding. I have not pinpointed the exact source but....I need to find those sites where others have had this issue. My " ball-on-the -dash " analogy is wrong. When the boat tilts right, the ball will roll the same way. Car starts just fine, its just that annoying noise. The flex plate....will that be solved with an all-new starter ? I already bought one. If I have to pull the intake manifold to adjust a flex plate, I may as well replace the thing. Knock sensor too while I am at it. I will keep you posted as to my progress on this matter. Thank You.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The flex plate isn't something that gets adjusted. It's a large, circular steel plate bolted to the output shaft of the engine. There are teeth around the perimeter that the gear on the starter pinion gear engage with. The starter has a spring in it that keeps the pinion gear retracted until you turn the key, and retracts it when you release the key from the start position. If the spring breaks, the pinion gear will chatter against the flex plate teeth.

.....Yes, a new starter would be the fix, IF that's the problem.
    morty9614 likes this.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Knock sensors rarely if ever go bad on N* engines.
    morty9614 likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by morty9614 View Post
    I am being told it's my starter bendix . Like it touches my flywheel as my " boat " ebbs toward the right as I turn. Like a ball on my dash, it will roll to the left as the car turns right. This is FUNNY to me ! Like the bendix is not retracting enough.
    I would almost put money on it. It's not that it's not retracting enough. It has a broken return spring and, like MC said, the starter pinion is reacting to centrifugal force and is free to slide back and forth. You could replace the starter or just the spring.
    morty9614 likes this.

I Finally got the courage to explore my 1999 DeVille noise issue. Ranger...you are awesome ! Sure enough, when I pulled the starter out, the little ratchet gear thing slid up and down on the shaft for the bendix. There were no flex plate as I saw but I was not looking for one. Probably was inside. Taking off the intake was pretty cool considering I am a Shadetree with a Budweiser mechanic ! Just common sense, tagging hoses, drawing sketches where certain screws/clips attach etc and it went fine. Never in a million years would I have suspected THIS ( starter bendix ) as the source of my noise. Thanks to wonderful forum members for your input !

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Now take it to an alternator/starter rebuilder and get it repaired for about $20.
    morty9614 likes this.

Cool idea ! That way I have a spare. Now I have heater issues which I will post a thread about sometime today.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.