03 DTS fuel gauge reading funny
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 03 DTS fuel gauge reading funny in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When I got to work I had slightly under 1/8 tank gas. When I left to go home I looked ...
    DSNCB919 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum

03 DTS fuel gauge reading funny

When I got to work I had slightly under 1/8 tank gas. When I left to go home I looked down when leaving parking lot and it claimed I had 7/8 then 2 miles later 1/2 and sat there for a while.. I saw in an older post to add fuel additive does this really work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 03 DTS fuel gauge reading funny

No. You are going to need a new sending unit. The good news is that you have an access panel in the trunk so there is no need to drop the tank.

Is it plug and play? this seems like a easy diy

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

It's essentially a straight swap. SOME of the newer pump modules include a heavier electrical connector and pigtail that must be spliced and crimped onto the existing body wiring. Older models had a square 4-pin connector that, it was thought, might create a high resistance connection, so the larger blade flat connector came into service. That's an extra half hour of wiring play.

You might have a bit of grief trying to loosen the lock ring - use a brass drift and a hammer - no sparks wanted here ......... Or, rent a lock ring tool at a large parts store.

Look in my albums - there are pictures of a pump module. The Community tab, Albums, the red Seville.

Thanks

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

I have '03 DeVille and recently had this problem. I bought EOM sending unit. Like Ranger says, there is an access panel in the trunk, which makes the job pretty dang easy. The ONLY tricky part is that lock ring, that can be a real PITA, but you just gotta work it slowly off, and then back on when done. Of course, you also gotta be EXTRA careful of the immense fire hazard, especially once you start working around that lock ring. I made sure to do mine outside, in the fresh air, so that fumes would not build up....

Good luck!

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Use a brass drift to remove the ring (if you don't have the removal tool), no sparks.

Do you have any pics? It also hasn't done it since and only happened that once but I still might as well replace

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you go to the RockAuto parts site and get into fuel pumps for your car, in one of the brands listed there is a YouTube of the replacement process.

Click on the little INFO tab for each pump module - a larger picture pops up. Some of the module (brands) have additional pictures, accessed by the < and > arrows on the picture. One or two pump brands has the YouTube video embedded there. There's also a picture sequence down in Tech Tips. Either surf through the many pages of threads or Google something like "cadillac forums seville devlle fuel pump replacement".

Here's a long shot that works occasionally - Chevron TECHRON is a powerful fuel system cleaner (a component of Top Tier gasoline) that also attacks sulfur deposits on the fuel level sender variable resistor strip - the deposits interfere with the wiper fingers electrical contact. Use a 20 oz. bottle of TECHRON with a fill-up of a Top Tier gasoline - you might get lucky. Don't dose Top Tier gas with extra TECHRON any more than once in 5,000 miles.

A youtube video is ALL I need thanks

$%#@!!! I am going to have to remove my entire built in sub and amp system to access this panel

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.