95 deville 4.9 rough idle after warm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 95 deville 4.9 rough idle after warm in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Needing some help, my caddy just started acting up again, error code po48 i think. Stalled one day when my ...
    cadillac_layne86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 deville

95 deville 4.9 rough idle after warm

Needing some help, my caddy just started acting up again, error code po48 i think. Stalled one day when my wife was driving, she said it wouldn't restart immediately. By the time i got to her it would restart. So i drove it home, after about five minutes it started to run a lil rough . Then at stop signs idle was rough. After giving it some hell (thinking maybe fuel filter was clogged) i let it sit for bout an hour, and it was fine. But as soon as it warmed up it starts to run rough again. What could this be. Daily driver.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Code definition?

I think its egr code not sure

----------

It has 246xxx miles on org motor, when i checked under hood to look at throttle body ,i sprayed tb cleaner in the tubes, ran fine until i started to drive for a little, could it be a ground cable ?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 95 deville 4.9 rough idle after warm

Go up to the DTC Sticky at the top of the forum page. Use the OBDI link to get the code definition. Cut and paste it here.

I looked up code and it said egr malfunction?

----------

How do you replace the egr on this car? Its still doing the stuttering thing i drove it today and i still have lots of power but engine runs like crap. By the way my gas mileage is normal i guess, 13.4 in city.

Replacing the EGR valve on that car is difficult without removing the TB first.

The EGR is not a monitored device on the 4.9, but the EGR solenoid and control valve are. The EGR valve itself is generally pretty reliable.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The EGR itself is vacuum and isn't monitored but a sensor could be picking up a value that is telling the computer the EGR isn't working properly. It wasn't too hard to change on my 94 with the right tools, but you need to figure out what part of the system isn't working properly before just changing random parts.

So would the sensor make the car run rough ? Or is it mainly the egr itself causing the problems?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No, the sensors are doing their job. It's a faulty/dirty valve, or clogged passages.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Years ago I got an EGR code when my catalytic got clogged. How is your exhaust flow? Does it sound any different? You already cleaned the EGR tubes, right? At 250k, the engine just may not be making sufficient vacuum any more. I would check the vacuum anyway.

Well the exaust sounds fine, but ya nevr kno til u take it to a muffler shop. This was more like an "over night " situation. Is there any way to test the EGR ?

Yes, on an OBDI system you can test it via the onboard diagnostics, but you'll need a FSM for the procedure. It will test the solenoid, not the valve itself as it is vacuum operated. If you reach under the EGR valve with your finger and press on the diaphragm while idling, it will open the EGR valve and stall the engine. If by chance that valve is carboned up and not seated real good, it may cause a rough idle.

mc_marto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille

The O2 sensor is the reference sensor for EGR operation. The computer does the EGR test every couple of hundred miles. The test is done by the computer at those intervals when the car is cruising. The computer commands the EGR off for a short time and looks for a change in the O2 output. If there is no change it will set the code.

Try cleaning the passages in the throttle body, and try cleaning the EGR valve itself before you replace it. To access the valve I'd always unbolt the throttle body, remove the transmission vacuum modulator line and lift up the throttle body a little bit. While I'm holding the throttle body up with my left hand I would squeeze my right hand underneath it and loosen the EGR bolts with a 13mm wrench. Then I'd put the throttle body down on the block and will remove the EGR bolts. Once I'm done cleaning/replacing the valve I'd install everything in reverse order. Make sure you do this with the engine cold or you'll burn your hands. Also, you can try removing the throttle body completely if you want to mess with removing the rest of the vacuum lines and then putting them back on when you're done.

It's been almost two years since I had the same code. I tried cleaning the valve a couple of times but the code kept coming back. When I got the replacement valve I compared how smoothly I could move the diaphragm by hand, and the old valve required a lot more muscle to lift up. So, my conclusion was - the old valve had gotten a stiffer diaphragm spring, which the vacuum could not operate. It's been been good ever since I put the new one on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.