89 deville sedan 4.5 dtc code e47...BCM-PCM DATA PROBLEM.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 89 deville sedan 4.5 dtc code e47...BCM-PCM DATA PROBLEM..... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Where should I go from here? after e-47 error it reads .7.0 My shop manual is packed away since i ...
    kimosen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 and 1989 cadillac deville 4.5

Question 89 deville sedan 4.5 dtc code e47...BCM-PCM DATA PROBLEM.....

Where should I go from here? after e-47 error it reads .7.0
    My shop manual is packed away since i am going to travel from NY-FL next week and would like to get a good read on my car for a 1800 mile trip if I can!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 89 deville sedan 4.5 dtc code e47...BCM-PCM DATA PROBLEM.....

.7.0 means that it has finished reading the codes. The DTC Sticky has a link to the code meanings.
    kimosen likes this.

i understand what u r refering to as far as the dtc code...it tells me e47 bcm-pcm data problem. when i go to the codes and look up the sub categories.....i don't see "E-47"??? there are P's for powertrain etc etc. am I missing something or looking in all the wrong places Ranger??

I think you are looking at the OBDII codes. You need OBDI. http://z-cut.de/US/dtcobd1.html OBDII is for '96+.

P047 (E047) are one in the same (IPC - PCM Data Problem).

I did follow your advice. I have the link for an 89 sdn deville 4.5. obd1/ dtc codes The error is in the pcm-ecm module category... BUT..how do I pinpoint the error even further to get to the NUTS and BOLTS of the issue?...what giant step should I take for myself next?
    Every mornin I pull codes....now E40 (VCC Engagement Error)! Same question...where do I go from here?
    "LIVE LIFE AND LIVE IT TO THE FULLEST!"

Looking at that code definition I think your next step almost has to be following the FSM trouble tree to figure it out. If you don't have a FSM then perhaps a subscription to alldatadiy (an online version), unless you want to start throwing parts (PCM) at it and hope one sticks.

I think $17 bucks for a diy prescription(haha) might be worth the money...lord knows ive pisse...d away on a lot less in my lifetime. Your the man!!! Much Thanks....who knows..maybe in another 5 years I could be a junior mentor!

limo1 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood 75

These are older ECM and BCM units you may have to pull them out and open them up and check for cold solder joints and bad connections on the harness pins. also replace the electrolytic capacitors in the ECM and BCM.
    disconnect battery and remove and connect the connectors on the BCM and ECM a number of times to clean the corrosion on the connectors. confirm other component are OK
    it sounds like a bad connection or old capacitors need to be replaced. try to get 105C rated electrolytic caps if possible as heat kills these 80's generation caps. cap values do not have to be exact but voltage should be same or higher.
    also ohm out the harness for the data wires between the ECM and BCM should be two confirm you have continuity or no bent pins on the connectors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.