2000 DHS Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MoistCabbage
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2000 DHS Problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone, I've lurked around these forums for quite some time over the past year, and have learned quite a ...
    Optimistic Prime is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DHS

2000 DHS Problems

Hi everyone,

I've lurked around these forums for quite some time over the past year, and have learned quite a bit about my car (which I purchased in October 2011, has about 80,000 miles now). However, I'm running into some problems I can't seem to figure out on my own.

My first major concern is that the car seems to shake quite a bit around 65 - 75 MPH. Particularly, the steering wheel and dash shake the most, but it is also noticeable in the floorboards and seats. My initial reaction was to check the tie rods and bearings, but I have also read that the motor mounts for this model year aren't the best. If anyone has any idea how much it would cost to replace, that would help a ton as well. I will probably do a power-brake test tomorrow and watch to see if the motor moves much.

My second problem is a (somewhat) low pitched whine that I *think* is around the driver's side of the engine compartment. I know this is vague, but I'm even more stumped here. It usually occurs early in the morning, or in general when the car is cold. I've checked the battery / alternator and they seem to read OK.

My third problem is just a bit of an annoyance. The interior lights seem to flash on for a few seconds after I start the car and drive for just a bit. I'm really not sure why it does this. The previous owner had a remote starter installed, so I'm wondering if it is some sort of wiring problem.

I'm a student, with limited knowledge on cars. Any and help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2000 DHS Problems

The whine is probably the secondary AIR pump, used to send fresh air to the exhaust manifolds on cold/warm startup in order to quickly light off the car. You may or may not hear it, depending on outside ambient temperature or time since last start. The pump is on the body flat inside the LF fenderwell. The relay is clipped to the passenger side strut tower.

Aftermarket remote ANYTHING in these cars is opening Pandora's Box. The chances of electrical and TheftLock problems are 99.9935%.

The road speed shake - does it go away after 10 or so highway miles ? If so, that's tire flat-spotting. Otherwise, dig into Suspension (Item Specific forum) and Google " cadillac forums seville shimmy" or "cadillac forums deville front end vibration" or something close. These cars are very finicky about tire/wheel balance, wheel/tire runout, suspension bushings and (believe it or not) a tire that is not round.

Welcome Aboard !!!

When you get time, go way up ^^^ in the top black bar and study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive, then page through the Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips threads - tons of timeless info in those. Study the sticky posts at the top of each forum threads page - more timeless info. The compressor you hear about 8 seconds after Key: ON is the rear level control system doing its preload and prove-out. Read the owner's manual, twice. Spend the money for a multiple-year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com - you'll need it. Alldata also has all recalls, TSBs, and RPOs for your car. < Those acronyms ?? the sticky just above this - "Acronyms". Learn how to use your car's built-in trouble code system - another sticky ^^^.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Are your tires original? My high speed vibration went away with a new set of tires.

Thank you both for the responses, and the welcome!

Submariner, I also don't think the ambient temperatures have much to do with it. I started the car up today, and it was about 78F, yet the low whine was there for about three or four minutes.

Ah, would you suggest having it removed? I don't have a clue how much it'd cost, or if it would be worth the hassle to potentially introduce more electrical problems.

No, it was constant. It would calm down a bit past 80MPH. You could feel it in the throttle, as well. I got a chance to put it up on a rack, and checked the tie rods. Sure enough, two outer tie rods were worn out, and since there aren't any grease fittings it was metal on metal. I also had a wheel bearing on it's way out on the front left. It has since been repaired, and she's riding on 4 fresh tires. I haven't been able to test it thoroughly, but it seems to ride quite a bit better at speed. Unfortunately, though, it was definitely scratched at the shop. Right above the wheel well, to the primer.

Looks like I have some reading material! I've read the owner's manual, but it couldn't hurt to freshen up. I haven't found anything in regard to the interior lights coming on. The only thing that seemed like it could be related is the twilight controls.

Ranger, I'm not sure when the tires were put on. They were the set of Goodyears that were on it when I purchased the car in 2011. I could see one set of tires going 70,000 miles, but I'm not sure about 13 years.

Once again, thank you both for responding.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I would suggest removing the aftermarket electronics. An hour of labor at a good alarm shop, <$100.

And late to the party, but .

Hi, MoistCabbage!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to see if I can find one around here, I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Google is your friend.
    You bet. Although, around here, the phone book is still probably the best way to go.

Just noticed your screen name.

- What do you call a robot that always looks on the bright side?

- Optimist Prime.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.