1990 Deville No power, idle issues.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1990 Deville No power, idle issues. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 1990 Deville 4.5 that I picked up 3 weeks ago does not have any power, I can barley get ...
    MuDDx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Deville

1990 Deville No power, idle issues.

My 1990 Deville 4.5 that I picked up 3 weeks ago does not have any power, I can barley get it up to 55 mph on a flat stretch and hills are out of the question. It has 101,000 miles and it had been sitting for about 7 months before I picked the car up. It was originally running rough but It still had enough power to move around with a rough idle in park or stopped in drive. Right before I got all the fluids done the car lost all power and can barley move. I've since replaced the distributor cap, spark plug wires and plugs, changed the oil, coolant, and tranny fluid with a new bottom gasket on the tranny, ran a bit of seafoam through the brake booster and in the old gas to help clean the fuel injectors, old gas gone and almost 2 tanks of gas since. The seafoam I was little worried about clogging the catalytic converters due to carbon build up and other gunk being shot through the engine so I used light doses to minimize any chance of doing so, It supposedly smokes a shit load out the exhaust when you use it showing the carbon and stuff burning off and I saw little smoke with this cadi so im assuming that's not the case at this point.

I pulled the codes off it and I got E30, 32, 52, 98 and F47 twice. I reset the codes to see if they will pop again after driving it, im not sure how to tell what are current codes and what are history codes since none of the codes followed by an C or H indicating if its current or history. From what I've learned thats supposedly how it works on the 1990 deville systems, OBD1 or 2 I believe not sure which.

E30, ISC RPM out of range. It was at high RPM's when I put it into drive?
    E32, Open MAP senor signal. I was informed that could mean my manifold pressure senor is shot.
    E52, ok a reset code.
    E98, High RPM P/N to D/R Shift Under ISC. So the ISC stepping motor is getting stuck causing it to flood the tank maybe?

F47...F codes are what? Couldnt find resource for them.

Since I reset the codes, the only one that still pops up is the F47. Ill see if the other codes still appear after driving and the supposed Service engine light comes on when another code is suppose to be triggered. Usually after about 15 min of driving the Service engine light comes on.

Fluids are topped off, Checked the new spark plugs and no evidence of oil fouling or other crazy shit, I guess I don't know where to go next besides getting the map sensor replaced and checking out the ISC sensor and Stepping motor which I don't know where to start with.
    The car has terrible fuel economy probably getting around 5-7 MPG, and barley able to crawl to speed, when I first got the car It had ok power, it could still move around though it was running rough it was driveable. While driving to where I was going to flush the fluids it lost all power and it just putts around barley. Occasionally ill start the car and it has some power, but that only last just a few moments.
    Is my engine just being flooding like crazy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Don't worry about the Seafoam causing carbon to clog the cat. it's not much more than paint thinner, and it doesn't work. The smoke show everyone thinks is proof of it "cleaning" anything, is just the product burning off. Carbon burns BLACK, not WHITE. That said, the cat could be part of the problem.

Definitely start with the MAP sensor.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1990 Deville No power, idle issues.

If the MAP sensor doesn't fix it I'd be checking for a clogged CAT (not because of the sea foam snake oil though).

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Please don't hijack threads.

...And what's with the link?

Edit: Spam post deleted. Ignore this.

MuDDx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Deville

Cleared the codes....currently showing E30 and F47. I tried disconnecting the map sensor to see if it made any effect on the car but it ran just as crappy. I re connected it and cleared the codes and only E30 and F47 again...

Im just more confused, the engine and body are in great shape (visually), the serpentine shows little wear, vacuum hoses and wires are not cracked and dirty. I feel like the car is running way too rich, I can smell the fuel coming out of the exhaust, also only getting about 6-8 mpg..

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I can smell the fuel coming out of the exhaust, also only getting about 6-8 mpg..
    Have you checked for a leaky FPR or injector?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.