Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Infamous 00-05 Deville vibration/mild shake questions

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jockosboy17 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 DHS that I bought last year with 24000 miles on the clock. It needed tires when I bought it. The car had the original OEM tires from 2005 that had never been rotated. The front were worn funny and the rear were dried out. The vehicle was always parked in a garage and looked brand new. So when I test drove it I knew it needed tires. The vehicle had a bit of a mild shake and the wheel shook while driving I figured putting new premium tires on the vehicle would solve that problem having no idea that 100% of the mild chassis shake would never go away. Three sets of tires later and many many road force balanced tires later 75-80% of the vibration/mild shake is gone. I have since had motor mounts changed had the suspension gone over at two GM dealers. They cant find any thing wrong with the car. My understanding is the DTS's do not have this problem. My guess its because the DTS's have a stiffer suspension.

I'm thinking about changing the springs out to the DTS's springs and the shocks to KYB's.

Please some one that has had this problem and repaired the vehicle correct to make it drive like a Caddy should advise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
It's not the road vibration that I'm feeling. It's more like if you have a bad shock and when you hit a certain speed that wheel starts to bounce and then you can feel it in the seat of your pants. It's like a mild version of that. The reason I'm thinking a stiffer suspension may help because it's almost like the shocks and springs are so soft it's allowing this to happen on a mild degree. It seems worse on black top silky smooth type roads.

#4 ·
If it's slow up and down movement you're feeling, then the shocks are worn. But there is no reason to change to DTS springs. The springs don't damp up and down motion, the shocks/struts do. There's also reason for stiffer shocks. The standard replacements won't allow the car to continuously bounce up and down.

If you're feeling anything other than up and down motion, there is a shimmy in the rear.

#10 ·
I put KYB on the rear 6 months ago or so (rear shocks were leaking oil and bags were looking aged. Fronts have never been touched. The vehicle had about 50k on it now. I think i'm going to buy the quick strut replacments for the front from KYB. Has any one used the quick struts from KYB before?

I've used shocks and struts from KYB for my Grand National, but not my Deville DTS, and I didn't like them. I changed them out with Monroe's and the ride quality was way better. I would recommend changing both your front struts and rear shocks to Monroe's.

The rear shocks would be Monroe part# MA822 and can be gotten for really cheap at some online websites. The bottom line is you really can't go wrong with Monroe for shocks and struts.

#9 ·
I had my wheels checked and they are perfect and they have been rotated around makes no difference. I have cleaned the mating surface on both sides of the rotors (pulled rotors) and cleaned the mating surface of the hub. Cleaned all the surfaces with wire wheel and wire brush (perfectly clean) no difference. Whats next? Bad half shaft? Oh and I checked the hubs no play smooth as butter. Only between 65 -73 mph is when this is happening. All other speeds are perfect!

#14 ·
Solved my Deville high speed minor vibration this weekend. Just a recap of all I have done to get me to this point. New tires a year or so ago road force balanced several times to get the vibration to a minimum. New rear shocks kyb's. Alignment.

I noticed several times while driving on the free way when I would hit dips in the road my front end would rebound several times after the dip. So I got looking and it looks like the shocks were a little oily at the bottom of the bellow.

Changed the front struts out with kyb's and all the vibrations are gone and it drives great. It it's more firm then it was with the OEM struts but I like the way it drives now.

Keep in mind my 2005 Deville only has 54k on it so don't let low mileage fool you. Age is hard on shocks and struts on these finicky vehicles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.