Lean codes. Where to start?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By redoxy
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Lean codes. Where to start? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; In the last 4 weeks Ive noticed that my car has a slightly rough idle. its not something I can ...
    13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1967 Eldorado

Lean codes. Where to start?

In the last 4 weeks Ive noticed that my car has a slightly rough idle. its not something I can see on the tach but could hear it. I thought it just needed a TB cleaning and let it go until I can do it. Now last night the car lit the MIL and gave 0171 and 0174 lean bank 1,2. the first thing that I can think is the plenum is cracked but I don't have any cleaner right now to check it. Is there something else that will cause these codes and that I can check? Should I just order a plenum so I have it if it is bad?

Also when checking codes I found P1617 oil lever circuit as a history code. Ive never have the low oil light come on. What would cause this code?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS - 67,500 miles, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Re: Lean codes. Where to start?

P 0171 and P 0174 usually indicate vacuum leaks - assuming this is in the 2002 DHS, you might start with the clamps and flex ducting for the air intake and MAF - any air leak there will set codes. Remove the engine cover and check the PCV dirty air line - from the right (rear) cam cover to the tunnel in the front (passenger end) of the intake manifold - a crack or disconnect here would be a big vacuum leak. Your intake manifold overpressure valve is a different design from earlier, and it's under the plenum anyway. (Pictures in my albums).

P 1617 might (not usual) have been caused by road water splash - shorted wiring or connector. Check the wiring.

Invest in a mechanic's stethoscope from a NAPA store. Perfect for snooping for hissssssesssss.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

A ripped plenum duct is almost a sure bet

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1967 Eldorado

I want to order a new plenum and intake gaskets just encase that is there problem. Looking on Rock Auto they only have Doorman. I know this is usually what O'reillys sells, so is it something I can trust or is it cheap rubber? Should I look else where for GM or Fel-Pro?

redoxy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 DHS, 2008 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by 13ir14314 View Post
    I want to order a new plenum and intake gaskets just encase that is there problem. Looking on Rock Auto they only have Doorman. I know this is usually what O'reillys sells, so is it something I can trust or is it cheap rubber? Should I look else where for GM or Fel-Pro?
    I bought the same product from rock auto and so far no issues. It has been over 1.5 years since I installed it. Also the dorman plenum duct comes with the intake manifold gaskets.
    13ir14314 likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Dorman products are usually pretty good.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.