Concours 1997 some newbie questions - Sweden
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Concours 1997 some newbie questions - Sweden in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought my first cadillac, a 1997 concours. I dont know anyone with a "new" cadillac , here in ...
    cittra49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Concours 1997

Concours 1997 some newbie questions - Sweden

I just bought my first cadillac, a 1997 concours. I dont know anyone with a "new" cadillac , here in Sweden most cadillacs are from the 40s-60s . It drives great but the shocks in front are not so good, do i have air shocks in front like i have in the back? All the pics i have seen on the interior on concours have analog speedometer but mine is all digital like the deville. What are the differnces between concours and deville? My car is imported from Tokyo and the last years it havent been used at all, the meter is only showing 62000km.
    Is there a way to see the equipment list with my VIN number somehow? Here in Sweden there is no "real" cadillac dealer that sells cars and original parts (atleast what i have found) so i dont have anyone to ask my questions to.

I bought a shop manual from Ebay but i havent recived it yet, i guess i can see some stuff in that one when i get it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Concours 1997 some newbie questions

Try to get in touch with Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>> He MAY be able to find a build sheet for your car, but the older databases are hard to access.

You don't really have "air shocks" (rear only) - the cars have air bladders incorporated in the shocks, controlled by a compressor and height sensors, to compensate for extra weight in the trunk or rear seat. It's called either ELC / ALC - Electronic Level Control / Automatic Level Control.

Your front (McPherson) struts may be (Concours - active suspension ??? - somebody check this) active units - the body control systems vary the internal orifice diameters to control fluid flow. (Same for the rear shock valving controls.)

Look under the spare tire cover - is there a sticker with 30 or 40 3-character codes on it ??? If so, that's the RPO (Regular Production Option) list of what's in THAT car. Decipher the codes with a Google search for a definitions link of "gm cadillac rpo codes".

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by cittra49
    do i have air shocks in front like i have in the back?
    No. The ELC (Electronic Level Control) is rear only. Technically, it's not "air suspension", the car is suspended by coil springs at all 4 corners. The air bladders are for ride height control only.

All the pics i have seen on the interior on concours have analog speedometer but mine is all digital like the deville.
    Are you sure it's a Concours? What is the 8th digit of the U.S. VIN? It will be a Y or a 9.

What are the differnces between concours and deville?
    There are minor cosmetic differences: No hood ornament/emblem on the grille, specific seats with perforated leather, different wood trim, specific rims, different badges, small fender skirts... But the big differences are the suspension and drivetrain. The Concours has firmer springs and sway bars, and active shocks and struts that adjust damping force based on driving/road conditions. The Concours also makes 300 HP (compared to the base/d'Elegance at 275), and has a 3.71 to 1 final drive ratio (compared to the base/d'Elegance wit 3.11 to 1).

Is there a way to see the equipment list with my VIN number somehow?
    You can try www.compnine.com, but I think their free decoder is down.

When you have time, go to the black tab at the top of the page, and click on Cadillac Technical Archives. Read the ENTIRE page, LOTS of good info. Also read through the "sticky" posts at the top of the FWD Deville/Fleetwood page, and in the Northstar forum.

Important!: when was the coolant last changed? If you're not sure, CHANGE IT YESTERDAY! Drain and fill with a 50/50% mix of either DEX-COOL or all makes/all models coolant, and distilled water.

Oops, looks like sub posted as I started typing.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You can decipher your RPO codes here once you get them.
    http://c2e.info/rpocodes/

or here
    http://lonestarthunder.com/m_rpo.php

The letter is Y and it indicates its a deville but it got the hood ornament and all the concour emblems, dual exhaust.

Ill check if i can find the code at the spare tire, the compressor is not working so there is a air vent for the rear struts there. How much psi is normal to have in the struts? Tomorrow i can try to take some outside and interior pictures for you to see.

Thank you for the fast response

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    VIN Y = base or d'Elegance, not Concours. Hood ornament = base or d'Elegance. Single exhaust into dual mufflers was standard on all models.

Max ELC compressor output is ~110/120 PSI. Pressure varies with weight in the car. Empty car, almost nothing.

A small update, finally got hold of a cadillac dealer and by my VIN number he told me its a deville.

Some new questions.

I go the codes MMM B2150 and MMM B2148 and its for the right mirror, the missor is working just fine, somthing i should worry about?

Sadest thing is that i suddenly got PCM P1860 and thats the TCC solonoid. Is this the the one with rockauto part numer 8683187?

at 60 mph how many rpm should it be doing with the TCC working?

If the mirror works, I wouldn't worry about the code until it fails (IF it fails).

At 60 you should be turning about 1650.
    I'd just (and do) live with it. Remember, that solenoid is a $50 part buried $2000 deep in the trans.
    Attached Images

Re: Concours 1997 some newbie questions - Sweden

Is possible to change the solonoid without removing the transmission, its a days work. There is a youtube video of a guy who changes it in a STS

Re: Concours 1997 some newbie questions - Sweden

Yes it is possible though still a royal PITA.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.