Ride Leveling Shock/Compressor question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mn_vette
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Ride Leveling Shock/Compressor question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm selling my 2003 Deville to my brother next week. I would like to fix it up as much as ...
    mn_vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Deville

Ride Leveling Shock/Compressor question

I'm selling my 2003 Deville to my brother next week. I would like to fix it up as much as possible for him, but without spending a ton of money doing it. I have a code RIM C0660 - Exhaust Valve Circuit Fault. I believe this code is causing the system to keep the compressor disabled. I pulled the rod for the level sensor and tried it up and down with the key in the ON position, but I didn't get anything. It also did not seem to have run at the initial key on.

While I was messing with the rod I noticed that both rear shocks showed signs of fluid leak. So my question is do i replace the shocks even though the compressor itself isn't working? I get some big rear end float going down the highway and over bumps. The car is pretty level though. Given that the car is level, I'm guessing the shocks are holding air, so would changing the shocks help the "rear end float" I seem to be having.

I looked at pulling the compressor assembly out to inspect and hopefully fix it, but I'm not exactly sure how it would come out. It looks like I would have to take the exhaust off to drop it down.

Is there a way to manually set the psi on the shocks if I do replace them and can't fix the compressor?

Sorry for the weird rant of questions. I'm looking at my options and trying to figure out what to do. Not knowing this system all that well leaves me a bit worried.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 170,000 miles
    You can get a manual air hose fill kit from amazon for about 13 bucks. Monroe ak29 fits the original shocks. The car will sit level without air in the shocks, so they may leak. Air is only used when there is added weight to keep it level. It usually keeps about 14 psi in them at all times, but that small amount doesn't really raise it any. My compressor needs replaced and I just got the ak29 I put on until I can get the compressor replaced and the sensors, if I find they don't work. I haven't finished checking them yet...

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Re: Ride Leveling Shock/Compressor question

Quote Originally Posted by mn_vette View Post
    I'm selling my 2003 Deville to my brother next week. I would like to fix it up as much as possible for him, but without spending a ton of money doing it. I have a code RIM C0660 - Exhaust Valve Circuit Fault. I believe this code is causing the system to keep the compressor disabled. I pulled the rod for the level sensor and tried it up and down with the key in the ON position, but I didn't get anything. It also did not seem to have run at the initial key on.

While I was messing with the rod I noticed that both rear shocks showed signs of fluid leak. So my question is do i replace the shocks even though the compressor itself isn't working? I get some big rear end float going down the highway and over bumps. The car is pretty level though. Given that the car is level, I'm guessing the shocks are holding air, so would changing the shocks help the "rear end float" I seem to be having.

I looked at pulling the compressor assembly out to inspect and hopefully fix it, but I'm not exactly sure how it would come out. It looks like I would have to take the exhaust off to drop it down.

Is there a way to manually set the psi on the shocks if I do replace them and can't fix the compressor?

Sorry for the weird rant of questions. I'm looking at my options and trying to figure out what to do. Not knowing this system all that well leaves me a bit worried.
    ---------------------
    I noticed that both rear shocks showed signs of fluid leak

Is there a way to manually set the psi on the shocks
    if I do replace them and can't fix the compressor?

I have the PERFECT solution for you -
    and it will take care of BOTH problems -

replace the rear shocks with the Monroe MA822 kit -
    $58.35 for BOTH - with free shipping -
    http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._absorber.html

and the Monroe AK29 - manual fill kit -
    about $12 from most big auto parts stores -

I really appreciate the help guys. I bought the MA822 and the AK29 kit from Advanceautoparts.com I used an online coupon code for advance that I found on techbargains.com and got everything out the door for under $49. And it is all in stock so I can pick it up any time I'm ready.
    basscatt likes this.

I thought I would post a few pics of what I decided to do for the shocks. The install of the shocks was pretty easy, you just had to remember to remove the air cap before you tried extending the shocks to their full length to install them. They come fully compressed in the box.

The hardest thing was to figure out where to put the air fill valve. I wanted it in the trunk and out of the way, but it has to be accessible when the trunk is full of stuff so I can pump up the shocks with the extra weight. And I wanted it to look good when done.

I managed to find a useless bump in the trunk "roof" liner. Maybe it is used by one of the upper models, but not on my base Deville. I also left the original lines in place just in case I want to put it back to factory standards in the future. So I zip tied the ends to the new lines. Remember to tape off the old lines to keep dirt out of them if you want to use them again. I routed the lines down and then back up to the top of the wheel well to get it back into the trunk. I drilled a small hole in the top of the wheel well where there was not any sheet metal over lap inside the trunk. I then used RTV to seal the hole and keep the air line from rubbing on the sheet metal. I couldn't find any black in my bag so I ended up with grey, black would have been much nicer though.

For mounting the valve I took a piece of aluminum stock that you can get at any hardware store and bent it into an "L" shape. Drilled a hole for the valve and one for the screw. I used a self taping screw into the sheet metal of the trunk roof and it holds it pretty tight. I just cut a small hole in the trunk liner and put the cap on it. I think it turned out pretty well. Hopefully this will help someone in the future that is thinking of doing this.

Here are some pics:

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

FWIW, That lump in the trunk "roof" is where the pop lever for the trunk/rear seat pass-through would go in a DTS.

Clever location.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

nice job -

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

I did the same on my '85 Fleetwood. I put the valve stem near the license plate, like my El Camino came when new....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.