99' Deville electrical problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 99' Deville electrical problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Power door locks/windows and interior lights including map light vanity light on mirror and cigarette lighter don't work. AC defrost ...
    Animalmutha is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99' Deville

99' Deville electrical problems

Power door locks/windows and interior lights including map light vanity light on mirror and cigarette lighter don't work.
    AC defrost and fans don't either. All fuses under the hood and trunk area are good, battery was disconnected for several minutes and reconnected with no change. No codes after scan

Once key is inserted and ignition turned on nothing lights up on the dash, than after 15 seconds it lights up saying service air bag than quickly turns off. Engine runs and car drives perfectly. reset button says monitored systems ok.

Power seats work
    brake lights work
    stereo works
    turn signals work
    wipers work
    headlights work manually

please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Well those are all on different circuits. Is just one door dead or all of them?
    The front cigarette lighter is powered from fuse under hood, the rest of those items from the rear panel.
    One thing about the interior lights: they will only operate automatic at night, there is a sensor in dash. Do they come on if you turn on via the headlight switch?
    All window wiring goes through drivers master switch first and then to each door. Those switches good bad a lot(both of mine were shot when I got them) and some windows didn't work.
    Behind the back seat are relays blocks that you may want to check.

Re: 99' Cadillac Deville electrical problems HELP!

All locks and windows on all four doors don't work, the interior lights don't work even turning them on manually.
    All fuses are intact. Thanks for replying

Re: 99' Cadillac Deville electrical problems HELP!

Start checking grounds.... there are numerous inside and under the hood. 2 under back seat, 1 on x brace behind rear seat, both kick panels have grounds. Since these use grounds to turn things on and off it can be the issue. Did you swap fuses or just visual check? Check for power at the fuse panel, I think all those interior items are covered by a fuse in front panel also(body 1 IIRC).
    I would check the fuse panel under hood for power to BODY FUSE 1,3 and INDVERT MAxi fuses. The fuse panels are known to corrode badly up there and need cleaning/replacing.
    i traced the wires on FSM and they all lead to those 3 fuses.

Re: 99' Deville electrical problems HELP!

Thanks I'll try that

Re: 99' Deville electrical problems

well i found all the grounds, and they are intact. Could only parts of the BCM fail instead of the whole unit failing?

When I said check the grounds I meant clean them. If the BCM is toast it is bad, nothing inside easily repairable. They run 30-50 on eBay, make sure you check the part numbers. Did you take the maxi fuses out and check for power and corrosion?

no change with the new BCM installed, do they need to be reprogrammed? all the grounds look excellent i also pulled the fuses on the systems that don't work all are clean.

BCM's are plug and play no programming required.

When I did take the old BCM out it had a strong burnt electrical smell to it, I figured that a new BCM would have solved the problem but for some reason there is no change. Turn the key to ignition no display for 15sec. than the dig display comes on, still no power to the doors/locks or fuel gauge and no AC or defog or fan.

Are you able to pull codes using DIC? There would almost have to be numerous codes.
    Short of that start swapping relays/maxi fuses and tracing wiring looking for bad wire(s). Is possible if BCM fried it took out some relays I suppose. When you say no AC will it not turn on or is fan not working? Is comp engaging?
    You need ALLDATA or a FSM for wiring diagrams and test procedures at this point.
    Start checking for power at frt fuses in question then check the relays for power and ground.

No codes, AC reads -- and blower motor (fans) defrost defog front and rear don't work. I will start tracing the wires, I checked the fuses and harness with a test light, I'm getting power to the fuses, I'll keep you up to date thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.