03 DTS, Bad Code
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 03 DTS, Bad Code in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So,,, i cleaned TB did it exactly like i was shown. Worked perfectly from all you guys for like 2 ...
    monty_n_philly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Deville, DTS

03 DTS, Bad Code

So,,, i cleaned TB did it exactly like i was shown. Worked perfectly from all you guys for like 2 days. Then rough idle and started not just feeling right. So I then pulled codes (before you guys, i would have had no idea what i was doing) and I got P0174 and P0300. I understand that P0174 is a vacuum leak, but I dont know where from. The guy who helps me, told me to get a car stethscope and listen to leaks, but where? P0300 is for misfiring, but hope if P0174 gets fixed then P0300 might go away. Can someone help me on this? I am trying to get it done this weekend and really could use some help. Thanks

Deno

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 03 Deville DTS, Bad Code.. HELP....

A vacuum leak will hisssssssssss at idle, thus the stethoscope trick - NAPA.

The vacuum leak search - remove the engine cover. There are 3 or 4 rubber lines attached to the top and sides of the throttlebody - the smaller ones are vacuum sources for different engine controls and emissions devices. A broken rubber connector or plastic pipe is a vacuum leak - any of them may be replaced by a suitable length of rubber vacuum hose, proper size - from the Help! racks at parts stores.

On the right (rear) cam cover there is a larger pipe - the dirty air pipe for the PCV system. This pipe goes directly to the intake manifold front (passenger end) tunnel. A leak there will set all sorts of codes.

Your engine also has a manifold overpressurization valve on the intake manifold, but it's under the plenum on the rear (driver's) end of the manifold - you need to remove the entire intake to check it, but these new styles are not prone to leaks.

Take the car to a large car parts store and ask for a code scan. Their scanner, as opposed to our built-in scanners, will give a P 030X code where X is the faulty cylinder - either fuel or spark.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 03 DTS, Bad Code

On the 2000+ engines P0174 is usually accompanied by P0171 and is indicative of a ripped plenum duct (very common). If in fact you only have the one code it is for Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2 . That's the front bank so you might start your search there. Another way to locate a vacuum leak is to pray Brakleen, carb or TB cleaner near any possible leak points (vacuum lines and fittings, manifold mounting etc) and listen for an RPM increase.

I am going to try the carb trick, but what i have read it seems to be that the penlum is probably bad, but I will know later and let you know where it goes. Once i get the cover off, where do i spray the carb/tb cleaner at?

The plenum duct is the rubber coupler between the TB and the manifold. Spray at the bottom of it (6:00 position) and flex it while you spray (while idling of coarse).

I took of the cover and sprayed it, but did not get the 6 o'clock spray on it. i will try it today. is there a better way to get it at the 6 o'clock spray?

Look at this Ranger, is this the code scanner you are referring to. I got the stethscope, it only has a rod at the end, I dont know how it will hear leaks..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=676350

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    On the 2000+ engines P0174 is usually accompanied by P0171 and is indicative of a ripped plenum duct (very common). If in fact you only have the one code it is for Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2 . That's the front bank so you might start your search there. Another way to locate a vacuum leak is to pray Brakleen, carb or TB cleaner near any possible leak points (vacuum lines and fittings, manifold mounting etc) and listen for an RPM increase.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You should be able to remove the diaphragm that the rod is attached to, and use just the tubing.

ok thanks,, i will def try that when i get home... do i need to buy that scanner or just wait and see what happens next? From what I found, if i dont have P0171 and P0174 then it is not the Penlum, but I will try to spray bottom of Penlum when I get home.... I am trying to findout exactly what...
    Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2 actually means and fix it, but i dont have a def answer on what it is and how to fix it....

So what do you think the step by step process is?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    You should be able to remove the diaphragm that the rod is attached to, and use just the tubing.

The code means that bank 2 (the front row of cylinders) is running lean (too much air/not enough fuel).

I hgve you a quick step by step for the carb cleaner test when I texted you. The process is kind of similar with the stethoscope, but instead of spraying things, you'll be passing the stethoscope over things. Remove the engine cover, and with the engine idling, trace all of the vacuum lines, and around the intake manifold and injectors with the stethoscope hose.

Ok, I got ya... i sent u a pic of the stethscope to make sure it was the right one.... i will be working on it in the next hour...

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The code means that bank 2 (the front row of cylinders) is running lean (too much air/not enough fuel).

I hgve you a quick step by step for the carb cleaner test when I texted you. The process is kind of similar with the stethoscope, but instead of spraying things, you'll be passing the stethoscope over things. Remove the engine cover, and with the engine idling, trace all of the vacuum lines, and around the intake manifold and injectors with the stethoscope hose.

I haven't gotten a picture yet.

I'm going out to dinner in a while, but you can text me if you get stuck.

Well I did exactly what you guys said.. I sprayed at the 6 o'clock and the car idle went crazy, I let it settle and sprayed it again and it stopped..... so im thinkin its the Penlum, correct? Best place to buy it???

No need to buy a scanner. Your car has one built in.

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado
    I'm in the same boat as you. Looks like Amazon or Rockauto is the best place to get it. Do some googling and you can find coupon codes for Rock.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.