94 Deville 4.9L stalling, acting like it is running out of gas . No codes.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 94 Deville 4.9L stalling, acting like it is running out of gas . No codes. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I checked the fuel pressure it was between 36 and 42 psi while driving. Around 40 psi when it died ...
    mluplow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 deville

94 Deville 4.9L stalling, acting like it is running out of gas . No codes.

I checked the fuel pressure it was between 36 and 42 psi while driving. Around 40 psi when it died twice at a stop sign. I was checking to see if I had any pressure drop when it hesitated or stalled. It didn't drop. This is an intermittent problem and seems like it happens when it is at operating temp. Only 86K miles on car. Fuel filter was changed (original). The problem started all at once it was not gradual. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Need Help 94 Deville 4.9L stalling, acting like it is running out of gas . No co

Did it die coming to a stop or while stopped? How much gas was in the tank?

Re: Need Help 94 Deville 4.9L stalling, acting like it is running out of gas . No co

It dies both coming to a stop and while stopped. It also will stumble every now and then while giving it gas and has died while braking. Its happened with 10 gallons and less of gas. Thanks

Hmm, if it had 10 gallons (almost 1/2 tank) I think we can rule out the common tank baffle problem. I wonder if maybe it's an intermittent fuel pump.

The fuel pressure was 40 psi at the fuel rail when it died two times while driving.

Are you sure this is fuel related and not electrical (ignition)? Have you checked to see if you have spark when it fails?

It's possible it's the ignition. I have no way to monitor the spark when it fails (intermittent problem). It also seems like it would throw a code.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Does it die quickly like turning off the key or does it blubber for a while like it's choking or does it idle so low it just fades out? FWIW my Deville ran like crap for a couple weeks before I finally got a MAP code. I didn't get the code until it was at the point of stalling at red lights and I was driving with 2 feet. There are thousands of ISC threads here if you want to verify correct operation of that part of the idle equation. I think you will get a code sooner or later if it runs bad enough. It sounds like the fuel pressure is good enough. Do you think the spark plugs and distributor cap are original?

It seems like when it dies while stopping or at a light it fades out. Sometimes when accelerating or going up a hill it will blubber. The spark plugs have been changed I don't think the cap has. The cap and rotor looks good to me not much wear or pitting no cracks or carbon traces. I think I will hook up a timing light and route it through the hood and duct tape it to the windshield to see if it is losing a spark when it blubbers or dies.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: 94 Deville 4.9L stalling, acting like it is running out of gas . No codes.

Does it happen all the time, or only when warm?

Trying to find open or closed loop operation.

If it happens all the time, I would try looking into the ICM...it controls spark, but is one of the few things not monitored by the computer. The more load you put on it, the worse it gets...the warmer the engine gets, the worse it gets...

The MAP is the only other things that runs in both closed and open loop operations...

"Dies while stopping, accelerating or going up a hill" all sound like a tank baffle, but it should not happen with 10 gallons of fuel. Generally speaking the baffle problem usually happens with 5 gallons or less while making a turn, but stranger things have happened. Try filling the tank and keep it at 3/4 or better and see if still happens.

It happens when its warm. I had the same thoughts. I tried a new ICM (cheap enough) and it didn't help. I'll fill the tank and see if that helps. Thanks for everyone's help.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Check the fuel pressure regulator. Pull off the vacuum hose to see if it is leaking fuel in there.

The fuel pressure regulator is one of the first things checked. Filled the car up with gas and is still doing the same thing. It only happens when it reaches operating temp. I still haven't hooked up a timing light to see if it is losing spark when it blubbers. Does anyone else know of a way to monitor your ignition to see if it is losing spark (intermittent)? Thanks

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

If your ignition is losing spark, the number one place to look is the Hall effect switch in the dizzy...doesn't always throw a code either...if it does it will either be E012 or E041...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.