05 Deville, won't shift into 4th/OD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 05 Deville, won't shift into 4th/OD in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Gents, Have been lurking and reading posts for awhile, for the first time I'm experiencing a problem that doesn't seem ...
    05TXDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

05 Deville, won't shift into 4th/OD

Gents,

Have been lurking and reading posts for awhile, for the first time I'm experiencing a problem that doesn't seem to be already answered.

05 Deville, 77K miles, typical usage is work commute in fairly heavy Houston traffic.

I experienced the P0171 and 0174 lean bank codes. Looked around and found a vacuum leak, the 90 degree PCV boot that goes into the intake plenum. Since the car was
    running fine, I was lazy about repairing it and let it go for a few weeks.

I started experiencing some very hard shifting, after the car had been running for awhile and was fully warm. I mean, BANGING the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I would anticipate it and throttle back to lessen the severity of the hard shifts.

So finally I got off my butt and replaced the 90 degree boot, which was more of a PITA than it should have been, not a lot of room to move and the only boots you can find are the universal Dorman type.

I've also had a pretty good PS pressure side hose leak which I'm going to fix in the AM, the engine isn't soaked but its used about 2 quarts over the last month.

About 3 days ago I noticed that RPM's were very high going down the freeway. I popped into an auto parts store and they pulled a P1811 code (maximum adapt and long shift), and an intermittent knock sensor code (sorry I forget the code, possibly P0342?).

After fixing the vacuum leak a brief road indicates that the car still isnt' shifting into 4th/od (not sure which is correct, its a 4th gear or true OD).

Any ideas? I've disconnected the battery this evening and will let it sit overnite to see if that clears anything out, thanks in advance for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 05 Deville, won't shift into 4th/OD

Pull your own DTC's. Post then AND their definitions. See the DTC Sticky at the top of the forum page if you need help.

Thanks for that. When in doubt, RTFM right? I pulled codes and got a huge long list, mostly related to the already fixed vacuum leak. Later, I cleared them and after a test drive, this is what I got:

DDM B3832
    IPM B0429
    PPM B3832

That was it for active codes, and nothing seems to point to the transmission.

This AM I did drop the transmission pan to see if there was any hardware laying in the pan, nothing. Very moderate amount of material, fluid was dark red and no burnt smell. Reassembled with new
    pickups and gasket, refilled with the same amount drained.

When I went for a test drive the trans shifts perfectly, car is running great since fixing the vacuum leak, but on the freeway its still turning a lot faster than it should be, 2925 RPM at 70 mph versus around 2000 when it was working properly.

Haven't thrown the TCC code yet but I'm starting to think thats what it could be. I have some errands to run this afternoon so we'll see what happens and if I get any additional codes.

Hrrrrrrmmm....Was out doing about an hour of city driving, just before returning home the Check Engine light came on, the 0171 and 0174 codes have returned. The vaccum leak repair I did yesterday is fine, it sure seems like the plenum is intact, the MAF sensor is less than a year old. Kinda surprised to see that come back. Thing is, the car is running great, steady idle at 625 RPM, no stumbles, nothing.

I still have to check the plenum out some more, my carb cleaner is almost empty and it wasn't spraying a very good stream.

Is any of this possibly related to the transmission issue, or am I just really lucky to have this all happening at once?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The plenum duct is almost a sure bet with those two codes. Be sure to flex the plenum duct while you spray it.

P0171 & P0174 is not trans related. It's just a coinkydink.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Hard shifts and no OD is a bad combo.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Our transmissions use the 4th gear - 0.68:1 as the OD; 3rd is the direct drive 1.00:1 gear. The additional rpm drop above 43 mph at road loads is Torque Converter Clutch engagement, a viscous coupling in the torque converter - it's NOT "OD": It's a fuel economy feature and is why a TCC failure will fail any emissions testing - without TCC the car burns more gas - an EPA no-no.

A base Deville would have an economy 3.11:1 final drive. 650 - 675 is normal idle rpm.

Banging shifts and no upshift to 4th is either mechanical faults, severely worn fluid, or incorrect fluid pump line pressure control.

Gents,

I did snap pictures of what was in the pan when I took it down on Sunday. I dunno, to me that isn't much, but maybe it is? After going away for a long time, it did a few hard shifts this AM, right before pulling in for a stop. After restarting, the problem went away.

I am getting all 4 gears which I confirmed by shifting from 4th to 3rd on the freeway and seeing the RPM's increase.

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

If those are chunks on the screen you have problems, kinda hard to tell from pic. The magnet looks to have larger particles on it too, anything more than very fine shavings(like talcum fine) is bad.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Once again, no 4th is usually a damaged band:

Driving it can eventually put it max adapt (hard shifts).

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Once again, no 4th is usually a damaged band:

Driving it can eventually put it max adapt (hard shifts).
    Aztec,

Thanks. Looking again at the pictures, there are some bigger than normal parts in there.

I was incorrect about it not going into 4th, as of this AM going down the freeway around 55 I was shifting back and forth between 3rd/4th.

I've found a reputable trans shop and I still have the pickup screen with whatever particles were on there. We'll see what we come back with.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.