Low Oil Level
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Low Oil Level in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Got my car two weeks ago, '02 base model with 39k on the ticker. Had a few problems before I ...
    JDemoney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DeVille

Low Oil Level

Got my car two weeks ago, '02 base model with 39k on the ticker. Had a few problems before I got it that were taken care of by Lund Cadillac in Phoenix (AC blender door actuator, upper radiator hose, compressor, leaking valve cover gasket). They did the full fluid exchange with a new battery as well. I drove the car 1300 miles back to Rapid City with no issues. GREAT drive. Great car. Put about 2k on it all together. This afternoon the CHECK ENGINE OIL shows up ok the DIC. I checked it. Just the tip of the dipstick was wet. I'm a habitual parking spot checker after backing out. It has never leaked on me. No leaks in the driveway or at work. I checked under the car and under the hood for leaks. Everything appears to be bone dry. I'm gonna throw a couple quarts in it tomorrow (not driving in the mean time, obviously) and do some troubleshooting. Searched old threads for some info and got some pointers so I'll be checking some of the common leak spots. Anything else besides the obvious?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Low Oil Level

Don't just "throw in a couple of quarts". Pour in a quart, allow draindown time, level surface, and check the level. Use the second quart to bring it here v v v on the dipstick.

< === ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ===============oo===========================O

That level ^^^ is right at the recommended 7.5 quart with filter oil fill. It's entirely possible that the selling dealer simply didn't put in enough oil at the dealership quickie service - or even worse, the local Oil Doodle.

Drive the car and do regular underhood checks - NEVER wait for or rely on a light or message to tell you that the car is screaming for help. The GM accepted oil consumption rate for the 2000+ Northstar is one quart in 2,000 miles or better. 5W-30 oil of whatever type floats your boat.

FWIW, The check oil level message comes on at about 2 quarts low - each car will be different - so at that point there are still 5.5 quarts of oil in the engine. Not to worry.

Sub, I'm not gonna just pour oil in to an engine and not monitor my quantity. Sorry if my terminology is a little loose and slangy...just the way I talk. I'm going to O'Reilly tomorrow and I'll add the proper amount of earl and go from there. I've got a feeling its time to invest in one of those service manuals you harp on

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Some of these engines tend to burn more oil than others. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, but for more information go the the Technical Archives at the top left of the forum page and read up on oil consumption and full throttle operation. She just may need to be taken out and "exercised" a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Some of these engines tend to burn more oil than others. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, but for more information go the the Technical Archives at the top left of the forum page and read up on oil consumption and full throttle operation. She just may need to be taken out and "exercised" a few times.
    Sounds good. I'll do that tomorrow. There's no smoke, no leaks on the ground, no "blood spatter" under the hood, or any other tell tale signs of an oil leak. Car runs great. Gas mileage is great. Just still learning the nuances of this car and Northstar. I'm gonna pop the radiator cap in the morning just to cover my bases then top off the oil and take him out.

I added about a quart to get it mid way up the hashes on the dipstick. Here in a bit I'm going to take it out on the highway and do some exercising.

gopher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989, 2000

Theres a post about the sticky rings here, too

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Any reason u got az car? Rust free? I imagine. Not that a 10yr old car is new but yours does have low miles. Bet it was warm when u picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    Theres a post about the sticky rings here, too
    I read it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Any reason u got az car? Rust free? I imagine. Not that a 10yr old car is new but yours does have low miles. Bet it was warm when u picked it up.
    It's actually a California car. My great grandmother can't drive anymore so she gave it to me. The car was in California until my dad sold her house in late July and had the car transported to AZ in early August. I drove my truck down to AZ, which my dad bought from me, and picked the Caddy up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.