Road Force Balance. How much is too much force, any recourse?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Road Force Balance. How much is too much force, any recourse? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have the lovely Deville shimmy at highway speeds. Can't figure out why. Something to do with the POS freeways ...
    EuroCad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville Base

Road Force Balance. How much is too much force, any recourse?

I have the lovely Deville shimmy at highway speeds. Can't figure out why. Something to do with the POS freeways in So Cal probably. Anyway I thought I would try a road force balance at Discount tire. They had to spin 3 of the tires on the rim to line them up for balance or whatever. They said they started at 30 something lbs. and after rotating them on the rim they got them down to 20 which is acceptable. After reading on here 10-15 is ideal should I try to get them warrantied or something? I wish I had read a little more before going down there. Well I still have the shakes too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Road Force Balance. How much is too much force, any recourse?

I'm no expert, but 20 seems too high to me.

Don't overlook the front motor mount. They tend to fail and when they do they have been known to cause a front end vibration.

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

20 OZ. not 20 LBS! They move the tire in relation to the wheel to lessen the weights required to balance properly. Are these wheels stock? are you allowing them to put weights on the front of the wheel? The wheels that require this much weight should be mounted on the rear as well.

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    20 OZ. not 20 LBS! They move the tire in relation to the wheel to lessen the weights required to balance properly. Are these wheels stock? are you allowing them to put weights on the front of the wheel? The wheels that require this much weight should be mounted on the rear as well.
    No, it's pounds (road force pounds) Not referring to amounts of weights added to the wheels. Road force balancers use those numbers to declare how we'll the tire is balanced. 20 road force pounds is a bit high. 5 road force pounds would be about perfect. 10 road force pounds is usually acceptable

20 sounds high to me too. The Cadillac TSB said 15lbs max, they put it out a while back about the vibes. I am regretting buying the Arizonian tires from DTC. Wheels are stock 17in DTS wheels and they have weights on front and back. Front mount is new AGAIN. I made some torque rods for it but they added to the vibration, they caused a different vibration and noise. Almost like driving a Mustang or something. I took them off for now. I don't need any more shakes. Im going to machine the rotors and change the pads up front and see if that does anything. In hindsight I should have returned the tires right away and got something else.

trailor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Deville DTS, 120K Miles
    What about your sway bar end links? My left front tire has over .030 pounds of road force and called for .50 ounces of weight. No vibration. So it's not necessarily true about how much road force. My tires are 225-55-18 Pirelli p6 all seasons.

My end links were broken and my entire front end has been replaced. Once my finally replaced my front mount did my vibration finally go away.

End links are new. Front mount is new. Tie rods new. Alignment is good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.