91 deville maintenance suggestions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 91 deville maintenance suggestions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys back again. I was wondering about some maintenance. My deville is at 122600 miles, it really drives great, ...
    Ninjobitch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville 4.9l

91 deville maintenance suggestions

Hey guys back again. I was wondering about some maintenance. My deville is at 122600 miles, it really drives great, but before I got it it sat at a church parking lot for about 6 months. The 6 months before that it was driven only 400 miles what are the things I should be swapping the liquids and such I have done the oil, with full synthetic and a bosch filter the radiator fluid looks really good still very vibrant green but I don't know about the critical one to change or if it okay to leave some or what. I also have no idea about any fluids under the car or the rear end I picked up a FSM and I'm handy enough. But have destroyed a perfectly good car before because of ignorance and I really don't want to do that to this beautiful cadillac

I have already replaced rear trunk weather seal, replaced trunk opener, replaced emblems and rebuilt horn honker for the front emblem, oil change with filter

Only problems known, power steer leak, a/c leak, every now and then when it real hot it rough idles for a second every 20 seconds when I'm stopped, and there's a crack in the front quarter panel

I'm going to be checking out the power steering this weekend and I'm putting her in the shop for a/c but what else should I do to ensure she continues to run smoothly?

P.s. apologize for any bad punctuation typing from iPhone and sorry for the length.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 91 deville maintenance suggestions

Don't go by looks on the coolant. If it hasn't been done in the last 2 years, drain and refill it.

It's also probably due for a trans fluid drain and refilled as well as a brake fluid flush.

As for the P/S fluid leak, check the P/S fluid cooler. It's just rearward and inboard of the RF wheel if I remember correctly. That's where my '92 developed a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Don't go by looks on the coolant. If it hasn't been done in the last 2 years, drain and refill it.

It's also probably due for a trans fluid drain and refilled as well as a brake fluid flush.

As for the P/S fluid leak, check the P/S fluid cooler. It's just rearward and inboard of the RF wheel if I remember correctly. That's where my '92 developed a leak.
    Okay on the coolant do I have to install a flush kit or can I just use the cock valve?

Also I checked the P/S cooler and its not wet doesn't seem to be leaking it seems like its coming more from the front I can see p/s fluid on top of radiator cap and when I get underneath I can see dripping of stuff toward the front I don't see any on the pump and the belt isn't wet. but the lines (physically not necessarily connected to system) between the pump and radiator in the front right most of engine space are wet. It kinda greasy all down there maybe I should degrease the engine and then look or a leak.

No flush kit necessary. Just drain and refill 50/50 coolant/distilled water.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjobitch View Post
    Also I checked the P/S cooler and its not wet doesn't seem to be leaking it seems like its coming more from the front I can see p/s fluid on top of radiator cap and when I get underneath I can see dripping of stuff toward the front I don't see any on the pump and the belt isn't wet. but the lines (physically not necessarily connected to system) between the pump and radiator in the front right most of engine space are wet. It kinda greasy all down there maybe I should degrease the engine and then look or a leak.
    This sounds more like a transmission cooler lines leak. Look at the lines at the ends of the radiator tank. There are a lot of short hoses up there that will leak over time.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Drain the radiator. DO NOT FLUSH! Do flush the brake system! Spark plugs? still original? They are due at 90,000 miles. Use only DELCO plugs. they should be listed on the under hood decal. Replace the radiator pressure cap, Its probably original and somewhat weak.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    Drain the radiator. DO NOT FLUSH! Do flush the brake system! Spark plugs? still original? They are due at 90,000 miles. Use only DELCO plugs. they should be listed on the under hood decal. Replace the radiator pressure cap, Its probably original and somewhat weak.
    Why no flush? even with just water? I'm not sure on the spark plugs I do know the gentlemen that had it before me did do regular maintenance on it is there a way to check if spark plugs are old?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If you want to flush the radiator, remove the lower hose first. The block cannot be completely drained, so flushing the whole system with water will just make getting back to a 50/50% mixture complicated. Unless someone dumped stop leak into the system, flushing is unnecessary anyway.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

By do not flush, I mean don't use one of the flushing machines at quick lubes and the like. just let it drain and then refill. Remove a plug. GM used to have a blue ring on the porcelain to show assembly line installation. If no ring, then inspect the porcelain and electrode for wear.

Okay so where's this stupid cock valve I have the FSM and all I says is open cock valve and two drain bolts in the cylinder block no pictures of where they are. I have seen a cock valve before but I'm not seeming it on this nor do I know which bolts to remove of what the cylinder block is again no pictures in FSM argggh.

This is not the old pet cock you are thinking off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    This is not the old pet cock you are thinking off.

Ahh thank you so much job done. Next is chassis lube and brake fluid flush

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.