Cadillac Owners Forum banner

over heating

789 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  stoveguyy 
#1 ·
New here so I hope I am in the right area. I just purchased a 98 deville and after 45 min. of idle it will overheat. the radiator is still cool but the hoses going to it are hot as can be. I am a heavy equipment mechanic and know most things but this cooling system is a bit odd with the way all the hoses are routed. Just want to confirm that the radiator is more than likely plugged up. Did a compression test on this motor and got 130 on 5,7,6,8 and 110 to 115 on 1,2,3,4 so I wouldnt think a head gasket is blown. On a diesel engine they only want 10% drop between cyl. any help would be great... thanks

#2 ·
You where in the wrong area. The lounge is for general B.S. discussions. Moved you to the correct forum.

A HG is a distinct possibility, but before you condemn it, check the purge line. If it is clogged, it will overheat. If the purge line is clear and flows coolant, then do a block test.

#4 ·
-------------------------------
I just purchased a 98 deville and after 45 min. of idle it will overheat
why would you sit at idle for 45 minutes?

did the electric fans come on -

how hot do you consider overheating -

what is the temp while driving -

-------------------

like carnut already suggested - check the PURGE LINE -
there should be a constant gentle flow from the engine to the SERGE TANK -
this is the ONLY way to eliminate air from the cooling system -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.