Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Lost keys to my 2000 Deville base model

13K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  RippyPartsDept 
G
#1 ·
Yes I know, Im an idiot, I lost my one and only copy to my car, I recently bought replacement ignition cylinder, door lock cylinder and trunk lock cylinder with keys from ebay. They are original factory ones. I tried to program the replacement key but it wont turn to the on position to be programmed, I tried the valet key that came with it as well and nothing. Can anybody help, will I need my old key to program the new ones? or is there a way to reset and program the new one? please help I need my car for work, I lucked out and got a ride today. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If you bought new lock cylinders and keys then any old keys will not work - different keys = different cuts = different "safe combinations".

You need a dealer to re-program the whole car and new keys - and the keys need to be the same (cut) to fit all 4 lock cylinders.

#3 ·
----------------------
I tried to program the replacement key
but it wont turn to the on position to be programmed,
I tried the valet key that came with it as well and nothing.

let me get this straight -

you lost your original keys -

you purchased a new ign lock cylinder - door lock cylinder - and trunk lock cylinder -
along with the keys - including a valet key on ebay -

I assume you installed all these new lock cylinders -

and you can't turn the ignition key to the ON position -
---------------------
can you turn the ignition lock at all?

does the key work in the new door or trunk locks?

didn't you test whether or not the key fit the locks -
before installing them?

------------------

without the original key - how did you remove the original lock cylinders -

if the key that was supplied with the new lock cylinders was NOT correct -
how did you install the new lock cylinders -

G
#4 ·
No, I bought replacement cylinders and keys because when I bought my car it did not have a door lock cylinder on the driver door and the ignition sticks all the time when trying to turn key from off position, so I went on ebay and got a good deal on both keys(1 and 2) plus cylinders all the way around, trunk glovebox ignition and door lock. I haven't had the anytime to replace any of these. I lost my key and I tried programming the new key I bought to the original ignition cylinder, but it wont even go into the 'on' position to start the procedure.

G
#13 ·
Ok try and follow me guys lol

when I bought my car it came with one key, no door lock cylinder, and ignition cylinder would stick

I got a good deal on ebay and bought new cylinders all the way around, They came with matching keys. Everything is OEM and just came off another deville.

I lost the key my car came with, haven't had time to replace the cylinders, so still no door cylinder and sticky ignition switch.

I tried programming the key that came with the cylinders from ebay but it didn't even turn because I have to swap out the cylinder.

My question is, by replacing cylinders including ignition do I have to program anything or relearn anything or will it start up like I hope it should?

#14 ·
-------------------------
My question is,
by replacing cylinders including ignition
do I have to program anything or relearn anything

YES - the car/key must be matched - electronically -
the key will turn to the ON position - but nothing will happen -

will it start up like I hope it should?
NO - the engine will NOT start -
in fact - the engine should NOT even turn over -
once the replacement lock cylinder is installed -

that is because the electronics of the key MUST match the electronics of the car -
you will need the use of the TECH2 tool -

HOWEVER - I believe you NEED the original key
to remove the original lock cylinder -

as I already suggested - CALL A LOCKSMITH

#15 ·
Randy,

I know this is going to sound a bit much but there is a way around this.

1. You will have to go to the dealer with the vin and proof of owner ship and cut another key to fit THE EXISTING sticking ignition cylinder. You will need that key later to REMOVE THE CYLINDER ANYWAY. The key is going to run about 30-40 bucks.

2. There IS a programming sequence you have to go through WITHOUT A TRIP TO THE DEALERSHIP, or TECH II.

3. You WILL have to swap the ignition cylinder and CUT A NEW (REPEAT NEW) KEY FOR THE SWAPPED CYLINDER.

Now for the BAD news. 00 model year used a plastic/ composite ignition lock housing on some vehicles. When you have the column covers off and the steering wheel off, the housing where the ignition cylinder slides into will look tan-ish brown IF its the plastic version. IF it DOESN'T look tan-ish in color, you're better off, because all the other years used metal housings.

You need to know what year car the key set you purchased from ebay ACTUALLY came from.

Hopefully you have the metal version. If not, a column swap is in order, or you have to have the locksmith recode your "new" door cylinders and trunk cylinders to your original key code and get the correct ignition cylinder for the sticky ignition cylinder to be replaced.

There is TSB on the sticky ignition cylinder issues, that's why they were changed from the composite/ plastic to metal in late 00.

The 00 devilles are the only year with the composite ignition cylinder housings.

I swapped in a complete tilt and telescope column into my base deville and had the composite ignition lock cylinder issue. I was forunate enough to have the complete column and figured out how to program the new keys once I had everything matched up..........

----------

In the thread, from post #51 on will pertain to you.......

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ing-1985/270823-dhs-console-conversion-2.html

#17 ·
we always advise people in situations like this to re-code their new cylinder to their factory keycode

in the future if they lose their keys they can just get a new key cut and not have to get a new cylinder

but if you don't do that and you lose your keys sometime in the future (or maybe the next owner who would have no idea that the key's weren't factory code)
oh the headache

save the headache and whatever way you get this fixed have the cylinders coded to the factory code and use keys coded to the factory code

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.