Transmission leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
  • 1 Post By 98eldo32v
  • 1 Post By 98eldo32v
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Transmission leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2004 Deville. I am leaking transmission fluid from an area near my front driver tire. When I ...
    kingjames71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville

Cool Transmission leak

I have a 2004 Deville. I am leaking transmission fluid from an area near my front driver tire. When I turn the wheel all the way to the right, I can look behind the tire and see where the fluid has leaked all over. It looks like maybe a seal from an area where there is a boot connected. I also have a long trail of fluid on the driveway every morning when I back out. The leak does not happen while the car is just sitting, only when the wheels are turned.

I have been searching everywhere for some type of schematic of the transmission components or the entire power train. Can anyone help me out here? I'd like to know what part to buy so I can attempt the repair myself. I have a 1990 Lexus LS400 that I have done all of the work on myself; I consider myself competent and able to do the job, but a diagram would help immensely!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Only happens when the steering wheel is turned? Are you sure you're not losing power steering fluid from the steering rack? The boot you're looking at is either the CV joint boot on the axel, or the dust boot for the steering rack.

BTW,

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: Transmission leak

Third clutch housing bushing.........

It's all bad..........

Look at the diagram above. Item 12 is the left side axle.

It enters the transmission. Turn the wheel to the right once it's on a jack stand, start the vehicle. If it drips where the axle enters the transmission with the unit properly filled, just start searching for a transmission.

Where the fluid leaks out under the axle should be a very "distinct" "clean" spot. That's the transmission fluid cleaning the case clean.

Search "4t80e woes"

----------

I'd like to say it's the transmission line, but it's probably not. That unit probably ran low on fluid at one time.

The best thing you can do is pull the axle out of the transmission. Check it for scoring or friction marks on the shaft itself.

----------

Probably sounds just like this...........

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nny-fluid.html

----------

Notice in UNKUTS picture in post 36 "NEW" the "distinct" clean area under the seal?.

That's where is drips from.......
    kingjames71 likes this.

kingjames71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville

Ranger-

THANK YOU so much for those schematics! I completely forgot about the gmpartsgiant.com website! You have been very helpful!

----------

98eldo32v-

Yep! Exactly how you described it and how it was in UNKUT's post is exactly what I think is wrong. It appears to be leaking from the #12 in that diagram. Do you know what exactly that part is called? It is not on the schematic key. Is that the 3rd clutch housing itself? Can that not be bought and replaced without replacing the entire transmission?

----------

MoistCabbage-

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have only recently joined, but have used this site for so much valuable information, even before joining. This forum is awesome!

I am positive it is tranny fluid. And how 98eldo32v described it in post #4 on this thread is a more accurate description of what is going on...unfortunately...

----------

Ahhhhh...... crap!

Just found this post (#7)- explains how to replace the third clutch housing...maybe a new tranny is in order...this is a lot!
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...er-600-hp.html

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

The third clutch housing bushing is inside the unit.

The bushing itself is rather small. I'm surprised there isn't a tool to remove it from the housing through the axle shaft hole and to press it back in.

Nonetheless, the axle shaft rides on this bushing. It receives its lubrication from the fluid and orifices inside the unit when the transmission is in operation.

Unfortunately, your unit ran low on fluid at one time or another and started to wear the bushing out. Once the bushing wears out, the fluid slips past the bushing and axle seal when the vehicle is moving. So, when you're driving you're basically pumping the fluid out.

Eventually the bushing wears more, particles end up in the fluid and converter , creating a bigger mess.

Take it from me, look for another unit now. It"s unfortunate but you'll be better off in the end. OR you can flip the 800-1200 for a rebuild.

Either way, the transmission is coming out.......

----------

Number 12 is the axle shaft BUT it snaps into the transmission with a "C" clip. The end of the shaft rides on the bushing.

If you pull the axle shaft, I can almost bet the shaft end is worn......
    kingjames71 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.