E55, E98 codes on 93 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, E55, E98 codes on 93 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A little background...I was doing a tune up by replacing cap, coil, wires, and plugs because my car would not ...
    nashcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Blue 1993 Sedan DeVille, 4.9

E55, E98 codes on 93 Deville

A little background...I was doing a tune up by replacing cap, coil, wires, and plugs because my car would not pass emissions. Doing all of the above made no difference. Somehow during this the car started to idle high. sometimes I even get the sail on effect when driving and don't have my foot on the pedal. What do I need to do to correct this? Do I need to go through the idle learn procedure?
    E55---TPS misadjusted
    E98---P/N and D/R in ISC range problem.

I did figure out that the throttle body had carbon caked up in the tubes. Scrubbed them out with a gun cleaning kit and it passed. By the way my distributor cap did need to be changed as the button and the part where the button sits below the coil was burnt and had fallen out....any clue what could cause this?

Thanks

----------

Oh, and how do I check the linkage cables or know that they are not correct. It seems like the plunger for some reason is not retracting back like it should. It was fine before I started doing the tune up stuff. I know I pulled back on the cables a couple of times for some reason or was doing something...can't remember.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: E55, E98 codes on 93 Deville

ok, question. does it make a difference if the cap is new that I replaced? I had a spare one I got from the junkyard. IT seemed to run fine after I changed it out with the coil. Then I had trouble replacing the spark plug wires. Some of the boots wouldn't not come off. Plugs were not fouled or anything. It started idling high after I was trying to get to the rear plug wires. I thought it may be a vacuum line or something but that's not it. I did the idle learn procedure and it's still idling high.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

The cap does not have to be new, just in good condition. Make sure that the plug wire contacts are not eroded, thus causing too large a rotor to cap gap.

Did you mess with the TPS to cause it to be misadjusted?

Ok, so the cap is ok then. I didn't mess with the TPS at all. I think a couple of times I moved or pressed on the linkage cable as I was trying to change the plug wires in the back of the engine. That's when it started idling fast. I've even changed the ISC motor with another spare that I had and it still idles high. Seems like the plunger won't retract enough. when you start the car the idle is high and then comes down, but when you drive it will sometimes sail on me. It will coast at almost 40-45 mph without me touching the pedal. Need to figure this out. IT is wasting gas. I'm getting about 13 mpg. Was getting 18-20.

Ybre is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Sedan Deville

I had a similar problem with my 1990 Deville after a throttle body cleaning. Turned out to be a cracked gasket between the air intake and the throttle body. After replacing the gasket all was normal again.

this didn't occur after I cleaned the throttle body though. It started after I was messing with the spark plug wires. Does anybody know if the ignition control module could affect this or the coil pack. I did change out both with spare one's that I had trying to make sure it passed emissions but I later found out it was just the carbon build up. How would the gasket between the air intake and throttle body affect idle? How hard is it to check this? I'm not sure if it's something I can do myself. What do you have to do to check it?

Throwing out other ideas. Could spark plugs cause this? I only changed out 6 of the 8 plugs. They were not fouled. I couldn't get the boot off the other 2 wires. Still going to work on it. I'm going to change back to the other ignition control module and coil.

Well it's definitely not related to the coil, plugs or ignition control module. Still no change after changing those. Looking at the throttle plates, it looks like the are up too much or something. It looks like it has something to do with the TPS but how could it get altered if I didn't mess with it?

Could spark plugs cause this?
    Spark plugs have no effect on idle speed.

How would the gasket between the air intake and throttle body affect idle?
    It's essentially a vacuum leak. That will cause a high idle.

How hard is it to check this? I'm not sure if it's something I can do myself. What do you have to do to check it?
    Spray the gasket as well as any and all vacuum connections and the intake manifold gaskets with Brakleen, carb cleaner or such. Listen for an RPM increase.

first of all...I don't know where all these gaskets are. Help me out. The manual is difficult to read sometimes. it may be that I'm overlooking them though. I figured it might be a vacuum leak. Also wondering if I could have messed with the wiring for the TPS while I was reaching in the back of the engine trying to pry off the spark plug boots.
    Thanks

----------

I got a slight, very slight rpm increase when I sprayed around the egr valve...I think...have to double check if that's what it was. That still doesn't explain why the high idle occurred after I was trying to change the spark plugs. I mean it was perfectly fine before that. It's still giving me the E55 code.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Look at your throttle cables to make sure there is slack in them. Sometimes if the cruise cable gets taken off the module it gets put on without enough slack. Look for a vacuum line that might be either cracked or off of one of the components such as the MAP sensor or EGR solenoid or valve.

Quote Originally Posted by nashcaddy View Post
    first of all...I don't know where all these gaskets are. Help me out.
    The TB (#508) sits on the intake manifold (#548). There is a gasket (#513) between them. The intake manifold is bolted to the heads (not pictured) with gaskets (#525) between them as well. There are two, one on each side. All that said, seeing as it just started after a plug change I doubt that's your problem. I'd follow Dennis's advice. If no luck there, then check all the vacuum hoses (#505, 506, 509, 512 & 557) . You could have knocked one loos while working on the plugs.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...PartSortBy=Key

I will double check this in the morning. I was wrong earlier. I sprayed throttle body cleaner around the areas near the air cleaner housing. I got a slight change in idle when I sprayed around the fuel pressure regulator not the egr valve. I'll check that hose.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Retract the ISC and unplug it and take it for a ride. If it idles low everywhere or stalls then you will know it is an ISC problem.

Well it's definitely not an ISC motor issue. I've changed it and done the relearn procedure twice and no difference. It still idles high. Unplugged it and it idles higher. It's like the ISC won't retract or the throttle is out of whack. Could the wiring behind the engine have messed with it? I don't know. Going to do some more exploring and try not to mess anything up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.