1995 Deville 4.9 should I buy it?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1995 Deville 4.9 should I buy it? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, im seeking some quick advice on buying my first cadillac. I went and test drove a 95 deville ...
    doughboy2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1995 Deville 4.9 should I buy it?

Hi guys, im seeking some quick advice on buying my first cadillac. I went and test drove a 95 deville today with 198K and the 4.9 V8. The car is in great shape aside from a couple minor things: it needs front struts a ball joint and possibly a power steering or water pump. The interior is in great shape as well as the body(i.e: no rips, tears, or broken trip. Also no cancer) The dealership is asking $1995 and i was wondering if its worth the money woth the repairs needed. Also, my dad owns a body shop and i could make this car show worth in no time. I have mediocre mechanical abilities and i have wanted this body style deville forever. (Im 20) and i have been lookingnfor a non northstar deville in good shape for a decent price for years. Any suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks, B

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: 1995 Deville 4.9 should I buy it?

Too much money. If it didn't need those repairs and the interior was really mint and it really had no cancer it might be worth that much. 80% of cars with "no cancer' that I look at have cancer. I have never had a car with 200k miles on it so I wouldn't have much faith in it. I have read of several that go way more than that but it would be hard for me to trust one. I wouldn't touch it unless the dealer at least fixed the things mentioned.

I will say that my 92 Deville used no oil at 192k miles and ran perfect. I wouldn't have bet much money on it making 220k though, because I have never witnessed a 200k car personally, but a 4.9 would be up to the task.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Realistically that dealer probably got the car for free or close to it. It is a money pit. @ 20 with limited mechanical abilities on a car of that complexity and age it is a definite pass.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

The 200,000mi is a problem.
    It costs more to buy from a dealer.
    I would offer them 1500 maybe 1600 and prepare to walk.
    There are going to be problems with just about any this age and price.
    If you are unable to work on it - that will cost you.
    They are not rocket science; if you put your mind to it with the help of this forum you should be able to repair it.
    Just know going in you may end up with 5 grand in it and for the same 5 grand you could pick one that needs no work with less miles.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

For the price they want it shouldn't need the work it does. I wouldn't pay more then say about $1,200 for it and that's only if the rest of the car is as good as you say it is.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Far as durability, I've seen MANY 4.9s close to 4.9 and still kicking. If you're good with a wrench, go for it. Otherwise, pass.

BigBlockHead is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I paid $1100 of mine, 125k miles. It had couple scratches and one dent, but looks pretty good otherwise. Dealer was asking $1800, but there was "service suspension" text on instrument panel, so I offered $900....

Ok, later it turned out to need a new wheel bearing, AC is not working (I bought it in winter) and just installed idle speed motor.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The 4.9 is pretty reliable, but that's still a lot of miles on everything else. If you really want it, offer $1000. Stick to it and walk if they refuse. They will probably call you later and accept it (make sure that they have your number). Like Slip said, they took it in on a trade and most likely have zero dollars in it. Anything they get will be profit and they always start high.

arctic_man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Concours, 1995 SLS

The suspension can add up real quick if you cannot do it yourself.

Otherwise, it has been said before on these forums: You are buying a car that was retailed upwards of 45k. Even if you can handle the repairs now, they may not be cheap down the road, and with almost 200k miles, "down the road" may not be very far away.

Just my .02

c_d
    c_d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Beetle 2.5L Manual, 08 Audi A3 TDI, 04 DeVille DTS

Walk. I bought one Cadillac, a 99 Seville, looking TOTALLY mint and surprisingly with no HG "cancer". However, it died the death of a thousand needle cuts. I dumped it making a loss.

I now "own" a free 04 Deville (also bought in EXTRAORDINARY well condition) that was abandoned by its owner for the simple fact that every thing he had fixed in a garage made two additional faults apparent. After dumping half the cars value in mechanic bills (>$2000), he asked me as a former caddy owner for DIY help and with the massive help of these boards we fixed a massive amount of issues. We failed, however, to break the vicious circle of the fix one thing, detect two additional problems.

Long story short, even without paying a mechanic, the other half of the cars value went into just parts and (hopefully you dad has a full set) tools! To give you ONE of the many examples: the car lost coolant. Purge line was clogged. Easy fix ($10 for hoses). The fix showed that the surge tank was leaking and the sensor inoperable ($100 in parts and liquids). Then a crack in the radiator side tank surfaced ($170 in parts and liquids). After fixing that, a leak in the WP seal was detected ($150 in parts and liquids).

I am a DIY amateur myself but even I can see the next catastrophes coming up. Worn CV joints, a small oil leak slowly developing, a nagging vacuum leak that no one but the cars computer can detect, a computer gremlin that resets some settings every now and then, a very rough first idle minute after a cold start, an actuator fault making the A/C blow hot in the back (and heating up the side panels), the cockpit LED's dying one by one, the trunk lining falling down when it's very hot, and many more ...

Listen to the veterans here, those cars are a money pit and they consume a lot of money in maintenance. Don't only concentrate on the engine. The ancillary repairs are equally expensive and equally dangerous regarding a economy total loss. Also remember that a 95 computer does not provide you with as many codes as a newer car. Just because you only see one, doesn't mean more aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    The 200,000mi is a problem.
    It costs more to buy from a dealer.
    I would offer them 1500 maybe 1600 and prepare to walk.
    There are going to be problems with just about any this age and price.
    If you are unable to work on it - that will cost you.
    They are not rocket science; if you put your mind to it with the help of this forum you should be able to repair it.
    Just know going in you may end up with 5 grand in it and for the same 5 grand you could pick one that needs no work with less miles.
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    I got them down to $1600 and should be picking it up Monday.
    As the the suspension i plan on buying shocks and springs. Any advice as to that?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

My only immediate concern is the water pump. You should look at that leaking water pump a little closer and see if you can see a leak and if it looks fairly aged. If it looks new and has issues it could be a "problem child" with some stripped bolts or rusted water inlet pipes. You should see if they will at least fix the waterpump and guarantee their work. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    My only immediate concern is the water pump. You should look at that leaking water pump a little closer and see if you can see a leak and if it looks fairly aged. If it looks new and has issues it could be a "problem child" with some stripped bolts or rusted water inlet pipes. You should see if they will at least fix the waterpump and guarantee their work. Good luck.
    It isnt leaky, its just making noise. It could very well just be a power steering pump.

keumnam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Sixty Special, 1993 Buick Roadmaster Limited

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy2011 View Post
    Hi guys, im seeking some quick advice on buying my first cadillac. I went and test drove a 95 deville today with 198K and the 4.9 V8. The car is in great shape aside from a couple minor things: it needs front struts a ball joint and possibly a power steering or water pump. The interior is in great shape as well as the body(i.e: no rips, tears, or broken trip. Also no cancer) The dealership is asking $1995 and i was wondering if its worth the money woth the repairs needed. Also, my dad owns a body shop and i could make this car show worth in no time. I have mediocre mechanical abilities and i have wanted this body style deville forever. (Im 20) and i have been lookingnfor a non northstar deville in good shape for a decent price for years. Any suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks, B
    Going on three years ago I bought a 1993 Sixty Special with 137k miles. It needed a radiator which I replaced myself for...oh...$140 or so. Ultimately I replaced the windshield (myself which I will never do again), the Idle speed servo, and master brake cylinder since then. Other than that it has been absoluiely troublefree. I paid $950 for it. The body is in excellent shape and the seats I have in the shed. I bought seats in better shape out of a salvage Cadillac for $70 total.j Other than that...it is just a great car.

I'm thinking offer the guy $800 cash.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy2011 View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    I got them down to $1600 and should be picking it up Monday.
    As the the suspension i plan on buying shocks and springs. Any advice as to that?
    http://www.rockauto.com/

If you know a mechanic it is money well spent to have the vehicle inspected/assessed before you drop the cash.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.