1993 Deville issues with hesitation and or idling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1993 Deville issues with hesitation and or idling in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, just got a beautiful 93 deville from original owners with 188k. car is immaculate inside and almost like new ...
    imabadczech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 Cadillac Coupe Deville

1993 Deville issues with hesitation and or idling

Well, just got a beautiful 93 deville from original owners with 188k. car is immaculate inside and almost like new outside. Everything works but the ac. My problem is, when I got car it needed a water pump so a buddy of mine and I got a new one on and no more clanking noise of a bad water pump. Problem is when I would try and start it, it would start but didnt seem like it was getting enough gas. after a few min it would smooth out only a very little. I replaced the MAP sensor and Idle Speed Control Motor/unit. I did the adjustments per other members on here and car does start and run much much better BUT it still has a hesitation and weather you up the idle or lower it, it is still there. Anyone been through this and know what I should look at next? I love the car but getting very frustrated already.

Craig

----------

I also want to mention that i did put all new plugs in it as well as new wires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1993 sedan deville issues with hesitation and or idling

How about the cap & rotor?

havent changed the cap and rotor.....yet. Wouldnt those make it run like crap all the time? I was also thinking of EGR valve. What do you think of that? Thanks again for responding to my posts. I appreciate it.

The cap & rotor are part of the ignition chain so to speak. Current passes through the coil and then gets distributed to the wires & plugs via the cap & rotor. Changing plugs and wires does no good if the cap contacts are eroded enough to cause the gap to become excessive. You should always change the cap & rotor when you change plugs and wires.

A stuck open EGR valve will cause a stall or no start. You could check the two EGR tubes down in the TB and rod them out if they are carboned closed, but I don't think they will cause the symptoms you describe.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Check your base timing.

well, EGR valve is good, lines are all clean, new cap, rotor and coil are all on and it is idling a bit high. I know how to readjust that but every once in a while, the engine skips and u can tell by looking at engine and hear it in the exhaust. This is driving me a bit crazy.

By "engine skips" do you mean misfires? If so, is it a regular rhythm or erratic and irregular?

i would say erratic and irregular most times. when i looked at the car last week he had started it for first time in a couple days and car started and ran perfectly smooth. We didnt let it run long as waterpump was making bad noise. what do you think? should i park her on the railroad tracks?

I wouldn't got THAT far.......................yet.

I seem to recall that a bad distributor shaft bearing can cause similar problems.
    Maybe a slight vacuum leak somewhere?

well, tonight we seafoamed her and smoked out the neighborhood! They love me here. Anyway, believe it or not it helped a little. I drove it about 4 miles (yes, with front brakes on) and when we got back, I turned it off, then started it back up and then the idle went real high. So, we did the procedure to the new idle speed control thingy and damn, she idles beautiful now BUT when it is in gear, reverse or drive, every once in a while you feel like a miss type of thing. I then used some seafoam on a lint free cloth and wiped down the throttle body plates that were black and crusty and now, the idle is near perfect still. That miss still happens every 45 seconds or so. We are getting so close. When this is said and done, I am heading down to the cantina for endless margaritas!

OK, mystery is over I believe. Brake work complete (see my other post) and for now, so is the hesitation issue. Today, the cadillac mechanic did a big throttle body cleaning and it all looks like new. He had to get the computer to relearn the idle and and other factory set settings. He said that the car still has a hesitation when in gear and slightly when in park. He said he believes former owner who let car sit for a bit of time probably put cheap gas in it and also fuel injectors should be cleaned. He suggested I run 2 full tanks of premium through car with some fuel injector cleaner in each tank. If after 2 tanks the hesitation does not go away, then he will start testing each injector to see where the weak one could be. He doesnt believe that this is anything major, just a fuel injector issue starting. As of right now, no codes of any kind at all. Yeah!!

The price of the gas you use has nothing to do with it. It's all the same. Neither does premium vs regular and most additives will have no effect. I'm not going to get into, or start another gas war. I would simply suggest you do a search for gas, octane, premium or such and read up. Many a war have been fought over this.

didnt mean to open a can of worms. Sorry my friend.

Not a problem. It'll probably erupt into a gas war anyway. I'll just sit back and watch.

Just didn't want you to get sucked into the "cheap gas" fallacy.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Incase you don't do a search for octane:

I'll try to put this in a way that doesn't start a war.

The 4.X engines require 91octane per the owners manual, but some people get away with running lower grades. Driving style/conditions, atmospheric conditions, and vehicle maintenance all make a difference i weather or not you can run lower octane.

Lower octane will cause is gas knock (detonation), not your symptoms, not dirty injectors.

The terms "premium", "regular" and "grade" are very misleading. Premium is not any "better" than regular, nor does it have any more detergents/additives, or produce more power. The only difference is the octane rating. The higher the octane rating, the more resistant the fuel is to igniting before the spark plug sparks, because if the heat generated by higher compression, and/or hotter cylinder temperatures.

If you're interested in a fuel that can potentially keep your fuel system cleaner, google "top tier fuel".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.