1993 Deville issues with hesitation and or idling - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1993 Deville issues with hesitation and or idling in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; well today the car stalled and died. back to the shop. If this other guy cant figure out who is ...
    imabadczech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Re: 1993 Deville issues with hesitation and or idling

well today the car stalled and died. back to the shop. If this other guy cant figure out who is supposed to be good, I will bring it to the damn cadillac dealership to have it fixed.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

So you went from a slight miss to not even running? There should be some kind of code. Your not on 1/4 tank are you? Sometimes these cars won't run when the tank is low because of tank baffle issues.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

The baffle problem won't prevent starting. It causes a stall below 1/4 tank when making a turn.

It stalled once and I got it started. I drove another 1000 feet and it stalled and would not start. I had it towed but while I was waiting for the tow truck, a nice young mechanic came by and asked if he could help. I went through the whole story and he said for me to try and start it. When I tried, he wiggled the wires that plug into the MAP sensor and the damn thing started. When he stopped wiggling the wires, it stalled. It seems as if he was the cadillac whisperer. Anyway, the mechanic that has been working on it tried starting it this morning and it started for all of 30 seconds. It died and so he had it towed inside his garage. He went to start it a couple hours later and it started and stayed running. He acted as if it was OK to come get it and drive it home. He didnt offer any suggestions and didnt seem like he wants to help. So, I knew the car had a e31 code which was a short circuit to MAP sensor but I didnt tell him I knew. He brought it up and I told him I wanted a brand new one on it. I asked if he thought that would be the problem and he said could be. Well, if that is what code says then how bout we try it! DUH. He then said if that doesnt fix things, to replace the ECM. So, will pick it up tomorrow with new MAP sensor and if it gives me crap, I will replace the ECM myself. I know a guy at NAPA that sells me parts for cheap. If that does not fix issues, I will have compression test done just to ease my mind. UGH!

Compression has nothing to do with this.

Ranger u know I just guess at stuff. Anyway, just got car back and with new MAP sensor. It isnt stalling but still still idles rough and even rough now in park. I am thinking I should either get a new ECM or 8 new/reman injectors and replace them. What is your opinion?

Ranger u know I just guess at stuff.
    Just don't want you to waste your time on a wild goose chase.

Just how rough is rough? I remember my '92 (4.9) never idles as perfectly smooth as I thought is should. Bought it at 17K and sold it at 125K and it was ALWAYS like that. Now that being said, it was an almost imperceptible roughness. I have not gone back through all the pages to reread this, but if you have replaced all the normal ignition components and it is still unacceptable, I would suspect an injector before the ECM, but that's just guess. If you want to trade off time for money, go to the Men's Mall and pick up a few injectors out of a 4.9 (injectors are generally pretty reliable) and swap one at a time to see if the roughness goes away. You could accomplish the same thing with the onboard diagnostics balance test, but I seem to recall mentioning that before (unless it was in someone elses thread).

Ranger, tell me what you think of this.
    I just started the car and thought i would touch around at all the wires and stuff in case maybe a wire was loose. All wires on plugs were snug as they should be. Then I pushed on end of wires that go into cap and when i pushed on one, it STALLED. So, it started right back up and then I pushed again and STALLED again. So, do you think my cap has a crack in it even though new? Or do you think the actual distributor may be messed up? I remember seeing somewhere in a thread where someone with similar symptoms had a bad distributor o-ring? hmmmmm

If it was the distributor, you should be able to duplicate that by pushing elsewhere in the close proximity of that wire. One faulty wire or wire connection in the cap would not cause it to stall. You seem to be loosing all ignition. I suspect the cap or ignition module and I would lean towards the later. Take that cap off and inspect everything real closely.

i went to show a friend what happens this evening and it stalls when i push on top of where coil cap/cover goes. Everytime i did it, it stalled. I know, DONT PUSH ON COIL CAP but it seems like something might be loose enough to cause a problem. Still no codes. I am going to get an ac delco cap tomorrow. I will also check into that ignition module.

OK, getting ready to junk the piece of SH*t and move on. The coil I had put on was defective and all the wires burned causing the stalling. After another new cap, set of wires and new better brand coil, the car still runs like crap. I took it to another mechanic who said he would check timing. He said it was on "the mark" but turned it a little either way and it always took him back to the original timing mark on car. HUH?? Anyway, now the car runs worse then it ever did. It surges up and down and then pops the code e53. I am so over it. So getting car back here, going away for the weekend and then trying to find someone who want the car with a brand new ac system, the only good part on the car.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

They most likely don't know the correct procedure to check or set the timing.

that was my guess too. I do love the car, just frustrated. After the guy got it all back together, i drove it home and it ran like new with no hesitation at all. Then after about 30 minutes i restarted it and was idling rough and then the idle started to bounce up and down. So, I am bringing it to the cadillac dealership monday morning. They charge 125/hour but I have had it. They will have the tools to diagnose it so I better start counting my pennies.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The baffle problem won't prevent starting. It causes a stall below 1/4 tank when making a turn.
    Not sure what my problem was but when the gauge read 6 gallons you were about to walk. It would never go down to 5. If I filled it, it would barely take 10 gal so I only had a 200 mile range between fill ups. That's why I am curious about other people's fuel level when their car dies.

Al, your problem sounds like it was a faulty level sensor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.