1993 Deville issues with hesitation and or idling - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1993 Deville issues with hesitation and or idling in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; anyone know where I can get a set of injectors for a reasonable price? I guess I will do all ...
    imabadczech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Sedan Deville

Re: 1993 sedan deville issues with hesitation and or idling

anyone know where I can get a set of injectors for a reasonable price? I guess I will do all of them being car has 188k. It has been running and driving very nice except for that erratic idle when in gear.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The man's mall. I just picked up 5 on a trip there yesterday while looking for something else. Not really sure why I bothered (they where there, "free" and easily accessible I guess) as I have yet to replace one, but now I have some spares should the need ever arise.

Being an OBDI car you can do a balance test by disabling the injectors one by one to test them via the onboard diagnostics before you replace them.

I don't understand how unplugging one injector at a time will prove anything. If you unplug one, the computer will throw a code for that one injector right? So how is that going to prove one may be spraying very little compared to normal? I am confused!

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

No you don't unplug anything. The onboard computer knows what you are doing. Look at it this way, it is a built in tool. You will need a factory service manual so you have some direction.

ok, so i have been told to unplug one at a time, and then get told dont unplug anything. I am very confused now for sure. I dont have any codes currently at all. car passed emissions yesterday after i had the throttle body cleaning and new )2 sensor put in. Its just the way it idles especially when in gear.

Caddy-EaRL is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Nobody told you to unplug them. Use the onboard diagnostics to disable them one by one. Get a FSM to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by imabadczech View Post
    ok, so i have been told to unplug one at a time, and then get told dont unplug anything. I am very confused now for sure. I dont have any codes currently at all. car passed emissions yesterday after i had the throttle body cleaning and new )2 sensor put in. Its just the way it idles especially when in gear.
    If you ask others about the idle characteristics of a 4.9, I'd be surprised if anybody told you they are real smooth. Now the way I read Ranger's post, he said dissabling not unplugging.

yeah, i misunderstood the unplugging thing

Here is where you look for a good deal on a FSM. Look there is one for $30 buy it now free shipping. They don't get much better than that.

]http://www.ebay.com/sch/Manuals-Literature-/6029/i.html?_nkw=1993+cadillac&_dmpt=Motors_Manuals_Lit erature&_rdc=1

----------

Here is where you look for a good deal on a FSM. Look there is one for $30 buy it now free shipping. They don't get much better than that.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Manuals-Lite...erature&_rdc=1

onecool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville
    did you ever try pulling the codes?
    does the air conditioning come on and work? does the parking brake release when you put it in drive?

the ac compressor was unplugged so we plugged it in and it kept blowing the 15 amp fuse, so I am guessing its time for a new compressor. Guessing coil is shorting it out, so it is once again unplugged. The first time i put e brake on, it did not release when putting it in park but 2 days ago it did release when i put it in reverse. From the heater control buttons i got codes but no codes at all that have anything to do with the injectors. I am hoping it is the injectors and nothing major. Car runs beautifully when cruising. Its just an idle thing.

Quote Originally Posted by imabadczech View Post
    I don't understand how unplugging one injector at a time will prove anything. If you unplug one, the computer will throw a code for that one injector right? So how is that going to prove one may be spraying very little compared to normal? I am confused!
    As mentioned above I was talking about disabling them via the onboard diagnostics. You could physically unplug them one at a time and get the same result. If you disable a good working injector you should feel the engine idle rougher. If you disable one that makes no difference, then it is most likely no working. Much the same as pulling plug wires one at a time to find a misfiring spark plug or faulty ignition wire.

Re: 1993 Deville issues with hesitation and or idling

Got it Ranger. Thanks. It takes me a while but I get there. Thanks to dennis, I got a factory shop manual for 30 bucks on ebay. It will be shipped out to me today. We are going to make this caddy perfect! I do love her.

Great! You'll find the FSM a bit intimidating, but worth it's weight in gold.
    imabadczech likes this.

OK, here is an update. After everything we have done to caddy, when in gear mostly, at a stop and idling, she runs a bit rough. As I mentioned before, we have been through cap, rotor, plugs, wires, egr valve, MAP sensor, throttle body cleaning and still the problem exists. I went back yesterday and mechanic said he adjusted timing about 2 degrees. Sems a tad bit better. He also checked fuel injectors and said they are all working as they should. So, what the hell is next? I did have to go for a brand new ac delco compressor and drier to the tune of 950 bucks and its wonderful, but the idle I feel should be so much better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.