1997 Deville Passanger Side Door won't unlock?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By amunderdog
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1997 Deville Passanger Side Door won't unlock? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I get in my car today and I'm dropping off my brother and he can't get in? I unlocked ...
    Mrjshua is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Deville

1997 Deville Passanger Side Door won't unlock?

So I get in my car today and I'm dropping off my brother and he can't get in? I unlocked it with the power locks, I tried to open it from the inside and even tried using the key in the door and It still wouldn't open?

I did a search and someone mentioned something about a Rod? Is there a way I can pop off the panel and do it myself and If so what exactly am I looking for?

" I'd greatly appreciate anyone able to go in detail to make it easier for me "

- Thanks for your time

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1997 Cadillac Deville Passanger Side Door won't unlock?

It does sound like a linkage (rod) disconnect problem. You will have to remove the inner door panel to inspect it.

Mrjshua is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    It does sound like a linkage (rod) disconnect problem. You will have to remove the inner door panel to inspect it.
    Is it possible to run me through on how to fix it and what I'm exactly looking for?

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: 1997 Deville Passanger Side Door won't unlock?

I guess this is one way to rectify the problem.
    http://youtu.be/QoG4hKyp1vI
    basscatt likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

You're looking for a loose rod going to the door latch inside the door. It's strange that nothing works because I thought all the rods went to the latch seperately.

Chzyrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Sedan Deville, '07 DTS

A similar problem happened on our '90 Deville driver's door. It was sticky and a springed lever would not raise completely to allow the locking mechanism to "flop over" to unlock allowing the release lever to work. What I did was to use a 'slim-jim' tool with the window down reaching in from between the weatherstips to catch the lever (blue clip) on the door latch (inside the door) to emulate turning the key or pressing the thumb button switch for the lock solenoid.
    Once you press/pull that lever accordingly, the door should open with the normal outer thumb button or inside lever. Studying the layout of your particular latch will help in determining which lever and where it's at. Remove the panel of the opposing door to see how it works and find which lever you need to get at on the bad door.
    The spring on ours had broken and I was able to use a spring from a ball point click-pen to wrap around the post and give it that extra boost to raise the locking lever high enough to release when unlocking. That worked for a few months, then I just finally replaced it with a junkyard one. I'm modifying the original with a bolt & new spring to repair it as a spare.
    100_5026sm.jpg

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrjshua View Post
    Is it possible to run me through on how to fix it and what I'm exactly looking for?
    Not from memory. It's been about 7 years since I've had my '97. A FSM would be invaluable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.