Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Deville 01 wont start

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  chpten8 
#1 ·
ok sort of a long story here first went while i was driving uphill a few days ago the car started to stall out on me and make aloud noise so i pulled over, cut the car off and it never cut back on since then. as i was trying to restart the car it turned over so i could here a clicking noise but then thats it got it towed to a gas station( which i was afraid of) and mechanic said that it wasnt the alternator and there was no oil on the dip stick and the engine locked up I needed a new engine (smh) I called back again and in a different convo he said that he got it to start and that it made a loud noise like the rod was going to shoot through the head( dont know what that means in the slightest way)i finally got her towed to my house and i tried to start her up to hear this noise. but when i turned the key i got the clicking first, second time around i got nothing at all. but a clicking sound from inside of the car like a seat motor maybe not sure what it is but there is no sound coming from the engine at all please tell me my car is not dead.

#2 ·
I think that 7 lines of gibberish sounds like the engine was run low on oil and the engine seized. If the car is on fairly level ground, where is the oil level on the dipstick - right now ???

<===== ADD XXXXXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE =========== - Where is the oil on those X's ???

If you have a charged battery, first study the sticky post just above this thread - "How to pull codes (DTC's)" and then use the proper year group procedures to get any stored diagnostic codes from your car's built-in scanner. Write them down and whether each is Current or History, then return to the sticky to open the URL link to code definitions for OBD-II. decipher all your found codes and post it all here in this thread.

#4 ·
Submariner409 said:
I think that 7 lines of gibberish sounds like the engine was run low on oil and the engine seized. If the car is on fairly level ground, where is the oil level on the dipstick - right now ???

<===== ADD XXXXXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE =========== - Where is the oil on those X's ???

If you have a charged battery, first study the sticky post just above this thread - "How to pull codes (DTC's)" and then use the proper year group procedures to get any stored diagnostic codes from your car's built-in scanner. Write them down and whether each is Current or History, then return to the sticky to open the URL link to code definitions for OBD-II. decipher all your found codes and post it all here in this thread.
little to none the oil level was below the x's

----------

reppinshadyvill said:
Wow that sounds like a toasted engine to me. When was the last time you had the oil changed or topped it off?
If its a toasted engine is there any saving it maybe I stopped driving it before the final damage was done..and two weeks ago I put two quarts of oil in there but I also have been driving alot on the highway for the past two weeks as well

#5 ·
We can't diagnose loud knocks and bangs on the Internet - unfortunately that's a hands-on experienced local mechanic's job.

Your engine condition doesn't sound very good from my seat .................. I don't know your car maintenance habits, but having to pour in two quarts of oil at one time doesn't sound good, either.

As far as the recent no-start, that's the reason for the trouble code request - onboard diagnostics of monitored systems.

#6 ·
Submariner409 said:
We can't diagnose loud knocks and bangs on the Internet - unfortunately that's a hands-on experienced local mechanic's job.

Your engine condition doesn't sound very good from my seat .................. I don't know your car maintenance habits, but having to pour in two quarts of oil at one time doesn't sound good, either.

As far as the recent no-start, that's the reason for the trouble code request - onboard diagnostics of monitored systems.
Yeah there's no power in the car now so I can't even pull the codes yet ill give them later when I get a jump

#7 ·
hopefully your engine didnt die. ill tell ya what, its a hell of a hassle finding a decent used motor. i did that to my DeVille....good ol neglect can run your pockets into debt. but to be honest, it sounds like you may have to rip out that engine and get another one. If you do get another one because that is the path you may go down, have a machanic replace the gaskets on the new/used motor and change out spark plugs, and sensors. I should have did that when I had the chance.

#10 ·
i could here a clicking noise but then thats it
got her towed to my house and i tried to start her up to hear this noise. but when i turned the key i got the clicking first, second time around i got nothing at all.
Sounds more like a dead battery to me.

Remember, the oil drops off the end of the dipstick at 2 qts low, which means 5.5 qts still left in the pan. Even if you where 4 qts low you'd still have 3.5 left. Plenty enough to run the engine without damaging it.

I'd check the battery (and oil) or swap in a known good one before giving this motor it's last rights.

#11 ·
Sounds more like a dead battery to me.

Remember, the oil drops off the end of the dipstick at 2 qts low, which means 5.5 qts still left in the pan. Even if you where 4 qts low you'd still have 3.5 left. Plenty enough to run the engine without damaging it.

I'd check the battery (and oil) or swap in a known good one before giving this motor it's last rights.
But if he did lock his motor up, I would advise against cranking it any more. Maybe try rotating it by hand but that's about it. At this point I would be trying to cause as little more damage as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.