Newbie here want to learn about 2003 Deville IPC
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Newbie here want to learn about 2003 Deville IPC in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2003 Deville and the IPC is putting out codes like B1004, B1327, B1438 and B0429. I was ...
    Loumar1684 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

Exclamation Newbie here want to learn about 2003 Deville IPC

I have a 2003 Deville and the IPC is putting out codes like B1004, B1327, B1438 and B0429. I was told I need to have it rebuilt. So, first I need to figure out how to take it off the car and the I need to know where to send it.
    I have searched this forum, but I guess I have not used the correct words inthe search. So, I hope someone would reply and provide me with the info.

Thanks

Loumar

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Who told you you had to rebuild the IPC? Why?

Codes are meaningless without their definitions, always include definitions when posting codes.

I know 2 of those codes. B0429 is for a faulty rear vent blend door, VERY common.

More importantly, B1327 indicates low voltage.

Before worrying about the codes, what is your voltage readout with the engine OFF? Preferably after being off for at least 30 minutes?

What is your voltage with the engine ON?

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)

Re: Newbie here want to learn about 2003 Deville IPC

HUH

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

From what you said, I see no reason to replace the IPC.

Boostmaster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Deville

Hey guys,
    Loumar is my father and he's never been on one of these car oriented web boards- having a hard time navigating all the info. (a little slack please)

He is in another state so I am of limited assistance and since I am not familiar with these Caddy's I told him he should come here and see if he could find some answers.

The car was taken to a shop because it kept giving the low coolant warning even after replacing the entire tank/sensor.
    Then it kicked out the low oil pressure code.

He took it to some shop who scanned it and told him that a rebuild was necessary at $500 plus $85 hour labor.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this but these Caddy's have so many computers and codes that it's a bit of a learning curve.

Can you guys give us a little guidance?

BTW, the Deville has around 146k on the clock.
    Located in FL

Codes are as follows:
    B1004- Keep alive memory
    B-1327- Device Power Circuit Low
    B-1438- IPC High Voltage Output Overcurrent to IPM
    B-0429- Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

study that thread... if you haven't already

get all the codes from the cluster using the onboard technique as instructed by the above thread
    make sure that you note history or current for each code
    and then follow the link in that thread to the OBDII codes page
    get the definitions for the codes you've got and then come back here and post the codes with their definitions (and history or current designation)

once we have that we will have a more clearer picture of what is going on with the car

as for the low coolant message... was the message false? coolant was not low but the message kept coming on?
    and if it was a false code and you did replace the whole coolant surge tank the low coolant message was still coming on falsely?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Rippy: Thanks for the link.

Codes revisited:

Codes are as follows:
    B1004- Keep alive memory
    B-1327- Device Power Circuit Low
    B-1438- IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)High Voltage Output Overcurrent to IPM (Instrument Panel Module)
    B-0429- Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

To my knowledge, when the car went to the shop they claimed that they had to put in more coolant... Dad can chime in and clarify.
    I am also thinking that these were the only codes pulled by the shop. I did not see any mention of history or current in their paperwork.
    I can have him try and pull them himself and see what we get.

In the meantime I will try and see what info I can find about these codes.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    RE READ POST #2. You have 2 codes pointing to low voltage. Low voltage can cause false codes, warning messages, and other weird electrical problems. The codes can't be trusted before the voltage problem is taken care of.

I see. Good info.

So we're just checking the voltage at the battery?
    I looked at numerous threads and it seemed bad batteries were an issue.

just turn the key on (engine off) and cycle through the dash display to show the voltage
    this is preferably done after the car has been off for over a half hour to let all the modules shut down fully
    alternatively you can use a digital volt meter to test the battery directly (with the battery cables disconnected)
    that gives a truer test of the battery but is not as easy and involves a tool that not everyone has

after you get your unloaded/off voltage turn the engine on and see what it has for voltage while running
    report back here your findings

also losing coolant is not a good sign if there are no visible signs of external leaks
    let's not go there yet though ... it may be premature to speculate the worst
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The battery will be checked shortly.

When I was down there we pulled the reservoir and I pulled the sensor. It was mangled. I tried to simply order the sensor but could not find it and it looked as if the reservoir cap was a little worn so it was just easier to replace the whole unit. I think it may have just been a little low on coolant.

I've checked the oil and looked for signs of bad head gasket/cracked head... Did not see anything to warrant concern.

For more accurate details dad will need to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    just turn the key on (engine off) and cycle through the dash display to show the voltage
    this is preferably done after the car has been off for over a half hour to let all the modules shut down fully
    alternatively you can use a digital volt meter to test the battery directly (with the battery cables disconnected)
    that gives a truer test of the battery but is not as easy and involves a tool that not everyone has

after you get your unloaded/off voltage turn the engine on and see what it has for voltage while running
    report back here your findings

also losing coolant is not a good sign if there are no visible signs of external leaks
    let's not go there yet though ... it may be premature to speculate the worst
    REPLY::
    Don't have a digital meter.. but these are the reading I was able to get...Car had been aprked for 24 hrs before the readings.
    With Battery connected 13.5 DC volts, disconnected 12.5

When I cycled thru the dash display (eng off)
    Feature programmimg Off .. Don't know how to turn it on
    RF Tire PSI ? ( no reading) Acutal reading was 33.5
    volts 12.3 OK

When I cycled thru the dash display (eng On)
    Feature programming OFF .. Don't know how to turn it on
    1175 RPM Tach
    RF tire PSI ? (no reading) Actual reading was 33.5
    volts 14.7

The coolant problem has been resolved... Apparently I was filling the reservoir tank to the wrong full mark. Once the garage filled it to the correct level the warnig has not returned.
    There were no oil leak indications under the car nor around the oil sensor.

Thanks!!

that all sounds normal and good

so the CURRENT codes are the only problems
    doesn't look like you'll need to rebuild your IPC

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Loumar1684 View Post

The coolant problem has been resolved... Apparently I was filling the reservoir tank to the wrong full mark. Once the garage filled it to the correct level the warnig has not returned.
    There were no oil leak indications under the car nor around the oil sensor.

Thanks!!
    The correct level is 1/2 full (no more than 2/3).

Quote Originally Posted by Boostmaster View Post
    He took it to some shop who scanned it and told him that a rebuild was necessary at $500 plus $85 hour labor.
    Rebuild what, the engine or the IPC? If he meant the engine, run far and fast from that shop.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    that all sounds normal and good

so the CURRENT codes are the only problems
    doesn't look like you'll need to rebuild your IPC

OK, Great!!
    So, how do I correct the CURRENT problems? Do I need a new battery?
    Please advise...
    Thanks

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The correct level is 1/2 full (no more than 2/3).

Rebuild what, the engine or the IPC? If he meant the engine, run far and fast from that shop.
    Not the engine, but the IPC.

RippyPartsDept believes the IPC is OK and that I am having problems with the CURRENT I reported last night.
    So, my next step it to correct the CURRENT problems.. any ideas??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.