1997 Deville Alternator Wire problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maeng9981
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1997 Deville Alternator Wire problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, first post for me. Until now I've found everything I need just by lurking, came across a problem ...
    CaliBigRig is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Deville

Question1997 Deville Alternator Wire problem

Hello everyone, first post for me. Until now I've found everything I need just by lurking, came across a problem that I need to register and post for today. Not a bad thing for sure.

Alright, so I bought this '97 Deville from a local auction a few weeks ago. Drove it home just fine (20 miles); then my wife took it to the store, and that's where the problems started. She told me the dash said "Service Charging System" and then the car shut down. So I took the alternator and battery out and had them tested at 3 different places, pass-pass-pass.

Confused I went to put them back in, upon reconnecting the alternator I noticed a bare wire and decided to investigate. What I found was all kinds of messed up. The wire was twisted and electrical taped together in a few places, and right at the connector to the alternator there was a butt-connector holding one of the wires together. The reason I didn't see it before was because they replaced the plastic sheathing around the wires, and taped that.

Anyhow, my problem: I only see 2 wires branching off the main harness, and when I look up a replacement connector, they have 3 wires. Did someone "fix" this improperly? And how hard will it be to fix? ( I can rewire it but I wanted to ask here before I started )

Thanks a lot for the resources, and thanks in advance for any answers.

EDIT: All of the wiring diagrams I can find do not specify the year and/or model so I am unsure of what I'm finding.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1997 Deville Alternator Wire problem

So no one knows anything about the wires that I'm supposed to plug in to the alternator?

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

I believe the connector has four slots (one big, three small) and there are only two that will be used.

CaliBigRig likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Thank you Maeng9811, I appreciate that.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.