Mechanic broke my Caddy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Mechanic broke my Caddy in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I took my car to a body shop to get a dent in the fender fixed. The guy came out ...
    KamD450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville (Base)

Mechanic broke my Caddy

I took my car to a body shop to get a dent in the fender fixed. The guy came out and pulled it to the back. Around 6pm they called saying my car won't start and every time I open the door the security light blinks. Now they are telling me I have to pay them to fix this problem. The car was fine before I took it there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldorado esc/2000 deville Y(THE GREY GOOSE)

Re: Mechanic broke my caddi

What did they do to the car from the time you dropped it off to 6 pm is the real question?

What bodyshop may I ask........

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The security light is supposed to blink with the key off, and door open.

Does the engine crank?

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Theyre trying to screw you big time. My security light does the same.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If you have a marginal battery and they left a door open too long, it needs to simply be jump started. The security light flashes to remind you to press the lock button as you exit the car, which arms the alarm.

Impossible to diagnose with the only system given being "won't start".

Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v View Post
    What did they do to the car from the time you dropped it off to 6 pm is the real question?

What bodyshop may I ask........
    That's my main question but from what they tell me, it was pulled back and worked on. They said they didn't even remove the fender to work on it.

The body shop is called one shot in lithonia ga

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The security light is supposed to blink with the key off, and door open.

Does the engine crank?
    Maybe I never noticed it before, but no the key wont even turn once its in the column.

Impossible to diagnose with the only system given being "won't start".
    Sorry for not being more specific... what I know is the shop called and said they wanted the spare key because the key I gave them didnt work. This is the key I use EVERYDAY. But I bring my spare anyways. They tell me that the key didnt even go into the ignition at first at all. But now the key goes in but you cant turn it at all. No accessories or anything. The key will still lock/unlock doors as it is supposed to. But once it gets into the ignition you cant turn it at all. We tried wiggling the steering wheel, the shifter, and everything else. Nothing turns the key once its in the column. So Saturday the guy calls and tells me he wants me to pay his mechanic $75 to replace some cover in the steering column that supposedly broke off. When I took the car to them the mechanic hopped in my car started it up and pulled it to the back. He had no problems starting or movin the car. What's crazy is before I left the owners wife who is I guess the co-owner said that they would handle the situation. That was Friday. Then I get the call Saturday from the husband asking for $75. He said he bought the piece but he wants me to pay his mechanic for labor. The car was perfectly fine when they pulled it back.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    If you have a marginal battery and they left a door open too long, it needs to simply be jump started. The security light flashes to remind you to press the lock button as you exit the car, which arms the alarm.
    Never noticed that before. Ill let them no that the light shouldn't be related to the problem. Thx.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Sounds strange. Maybe they tried to start it with a wrong key and damaged it? it's almost understandable if the car doesn't recognize the key because on the very rare occasion that could happen but for the key to not turn or anything, that's strange.
    98eldo32v likes this.

There's no "cover" that will prevent the key from going in or turning. Something happened to the lock cylinder. My guess: someone jammed the wrong key in.

Why would they pay for the part, but want the money for THEIR mechanic to do the work? That's backwards.

They're full of it. Tell them the car worked fine when you dropped it off, one of their employees were the last to use the key, and that you want your car fixed. If they still want to charge you, ask if they're insured, that usually gets a small business to fix what they've caused.
    98eldo32v likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Sounds like a failed or damaged tumbler (lock cylinder).

I think the cover (column shroud) was probably removed incorrectly, thus damaging it. Inspect it closely and look for any broken parts or tabs on the inside of it.

There's no "cover" that will prevent the key from going in or turning. Something happened to the lock cylinder. My guess: someone jammed the wrong key in.

Why would they pay for the part, but want the money for THEIR mechanic to do the work? That's backwards.

They're full of it. Tell them the car worked fine when you dropped it off, one of their employees were the last to use the key, and that you want your car fixed. If they still want to charge you, ask if they're insured, that usually gets a small business to fix what they've caused.
    Will do. I just wanted to get some feedback on if they could try and pull a fast one. I appreciate all the help. Will let everyone know how it goes.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Sounds like a failed or damaged tumbler (lock cylinder).

I think the cover (column shroud) was probably removed incorrectly, thus damaging it. Inspect it closely and look for any broken parts or tabs on the inside of it.
    So my question is why would they have to remove it when they were only doing body work? Could they have tried to fix the problem before they called or can (like everyone else said) it be broken because of someone jamming a wrong key in it. Somethings off I tell you. But im going to ask about them being insured if they wanna play hardball tomorrow. Hopefully we can end this peacefully... again thx for all the replies.

They had no reason to touch anything inside the car.

Whatever cover they're they're talking about is either because they broke something they shouldn't have touched, or they're feeding you BS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.