Mechanic broke my Caddy - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Mechanic broke my Caddy in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage They had no reason to touch anything inside the car. Whatever cover they're they're talking about ...
    KamD450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville (Base)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    They had no reason to touch anything inside the car.

Whatever cover they're they're talking about is either because they broke something they shouldn't have touched, or they're feeding you BS.
    Well I hope all ends well. All of this is because some kids dented the fender and his father was cooperating enough to pay BUT chose the shop that was the cheapest he could find. Good night fellas I'll let you know how it goes.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Well hopefully the cheap shop only did some painters dent removal, and not bad body work.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: Mechanic broke my caddi

If that's the case tell the shop it's the kids dad who's paying the bill. Hopefully they do a decent log for what they're supposed to. Cheap usually isn't good when it comes to body work, or much else for that matter.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Sounds like a failed or damaged tumbler (lock cylinder).

I think the cover (column shroud) was probably removed incorrectly, thus damaging it. Inspect it closely and look for any broken parts or tabs on the inside of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KamD450 View Post

So my question is why would they have to remove it when they were only doing body work? Could they have tried to fix the problem before they called or can (like everyone else said) it be broken because of someone jamming a wrong key in it.
    Hard to say for sure. Either they did something to screw it up or it just coincidentally failed while they had it and without being familiar with it, broke it while trying to get it started. It's gonna be damned near impossible to tell exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Hard to say for sure. Either they did something to screw it up or it just coincidentally failed while they had it and without being familiar with it, broke it while trying to get it started. It's gonna be damned near impossible to tell exactly what happened.
    So saying it coincidentally failed. Should they still be responsible for fixing it? I mean it was in their possession. I'm waiting for the call now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    If that's the case tell the shop it's the kids dad who's paying the bill. Hopefully they do a decent log for what they're supposed to. Cheap usually isn't good when it comes to body work, or much else for that matter.
    Yeah the bills is already paid in full. So I'm guessing the father is out of the picture. I'll see the work today, and hopefully we can close this chapter. I just want my car back in the condition it was ( minus the dent of course. )

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

So saying it coincidentally failed. Should they still be responsible for fixing it? I mean it was in their possession. I'm waiting for the call now.

----------------------------
    IF the lock cylinder failed because it was simply worn out -

think of it this way -

you go to your locked front door of your house -
    your hands are full - your friend uses your key to unlock your door -
    and the lock cylinder fails -

is your friend responsible for "breaking" your door lock?

So saying it coincidentally failed. Should they still be responsible for fixing it? I mean it was in their possession.
    Nope, especially if it was in normal use (starting the car to move it). Now if they did something out of the norm and broke something like while racing it or spinning the tires, that would be a different story.

Lock cylinders usually don't fail all of a sudden, they usually start by getting "fussy", meaning you'll have to jiggle the key to get it to turn. Can't remember ever hearing of one fail since I've been a member here.

The shop talking about a "cover" and paying for a new part makes it suspicious anyway. I'd bet money it was something they did.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The shop talking about a "cover" and paying for a new part makes it suspicious anyway. I'd bet money it was something they did.
    I tend to agree, but how do you prove it?

You can't, which is why I would mention insurance. Small businesses don't like making claims.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Nope. Not unless they broke it. That's like if if happened say if you have a loaner. Is it your fault? Nope- you'd blame it on the place the car came from.
    It'll be hard to prove even if it is their fault tho because even if the cover looks messed with who's to say it wasn't that way before. It's a sticky situation.

blue90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood

I agree with Moist on this. They broke it. Sometimes at our shop we (hate to admit it, but we) mess up and break something. We always fix it if it was in any way our doing. If they won't do that at least pay your regular repair shop to replace the lock cylinder- don't pay the body shop to fix their mistake. They stuck the wrong key in it and tore the tumblers up and then tried to fix it before calling you, but realized it would need replacing and gave it up. No way to prove it and it doesn't sound like they will own up to it. (probably called the parts house and found out how much it was going to cost)
    98eldo32v likes this.

Okay so after waiting for him to call me I decided to pop up. When I got there I noticed my car was moved. He came out and told me the car had been fixed yesterday and was waiting for the $75. When I asked him why he didnt call to let me know he said he thought I already knew. It got really ugly and he ended up handing me my keys and I left. My wife said she thinks the car was fixed the day he called about the money which was Saturday and he was going to keep my car until I caved about the $75. Guess he didnt expect me to pop up. Either way he was playing games. Game over. Again thx for everyone's replies and support.

blue90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood

Re: Mechanic broke my Caddy

Let folks know in your area about that shop. Everyone makes mistakes, but that sounded shaky. Glad it worked out ok for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.