Rough idle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Rough idle in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok so the head gasket job went fine. Car runs fine. Has rough idle though. Cleaned TB. Swapped out plugs ...
    Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Ok so the head gasket job went fine. Car runs fine. Has rough idle though. Cleaned TB. Swapped out plugs and boots at HG job, swapped out coil cassettes with known good ones on hand. Wondering if the injectors got slightly clogged while car sat about 8 months. Idles at 750 and its fine until it warms up and idle gets rougher the hotter it gets. Yet take the idle up to 1000 and its smooth as silk. Racking my brain here. This mornin I ran some top engine clean through the intake and am letting it set all day. Hoping the nasty ass valves get cleaned up a bit and will fix this rough idle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hendershot15 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 deville

Re: Rough idle

check your IAC valve and clean the throttle body. I had a similar problem and replaced the IAC valve and problem was gone. I don't know if this helps but you can try it. You can remove the IAC valve and spray some cleaner into it and see if that improves anything.

Guess its possible, never really seen an iac valve cause a rough idle, usually makes the engine stall. Already cleaned the TB.

hendershot15 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 deville

all I am saying is to check it. worked for me... disclaimer: I am no car expert in any means

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy-EaRL View Post
    Ok so the head gasket job went fine. Car runs fine. Has rough idle though. Cleaned TB. Swapped out plugs and boots at HG job, swapped out coil cassettes with known good ones on hand. Wondering if the injectors got slightly clogged while car sat about 8 months. Idles at 750 and its fine until it warms up and idle gets rougher the hotter it gets. Yet take the idle up to 1000 and its smooth as silk. Racking my brain here. This mornin I ran some top engine clean through the intake and am letting it set all day. Hoping the nasty ass valves get cleaned up a bit and will fix this rough idle.
    ---------------------------
    OK - since you've around the block more than once -
    I won't ask if the have checked for codes -
    I will assume you have - and there are none -

it sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me -

runs rich at cold start - so idle is smooth -

leans out as it warms up - and runs rough -

Well it seems like the top engine clean has helped it. He drove it home and will let me know tomorrow.

tatteddaddy87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Did the top engine clean work in the long run? I am wondering because i have a 99 eldorado with the same problem .i have replaced the intake manifold and the fuel pressure regulator

JDemoney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy-EaRL View Post
    Guess its possible, never really seen an iac valve cause a rough idle, usually makes the engine stall. Already cleaned the TB.
    The IAC can cause rough idles. If you don't want to replace it, remove it and hit it good with some brake parts cleaner. Make sure it's COMPLETELY dry prior to reinstall..

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

.......... and clean out the throttlebody IAC bore with TB cleaner and a fuzzy pipe cleaner from a craft store. That black top hat plunger on the IAC motor gets fluffed up, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.