Maybe a new SRS unit?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Maybe a new SRS unit? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys! My 1995 Deville had been flooded a few years back, and adding insult to injury set off both ...
    dommi.b is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville Base 4.9L

Maybe a new SRS unit?

Hi guys! My 1995 Deville had been flooded a few years back, and adding insult to injury set off both airbags (SRS unit is under driver seat).

I have since then replaced the steering wheel airbag and fixed my dash the best I could but haven't plugged the wheel back in because I don't know if it would set off the new one it is also sending a bunch of codes most starting with R0 and when the key is in the on position it will continuously say check airbag system, traction control is turned off and change engine oil (It won't let me clear the change oil notification)... It's all quite annoying. How likely would it be that installing a new SRS unit make it okay to plug it all back in and most likely fix my issues?

I'd like to feel safe in my car again!

Thanks!

EDIT

trouble codes

R016 History .................................... Passenger Initiator Circuit Resistance Low

R017 Current .............................................. Passenger Initiator Circuit Open

R024 History ................................................. Initiator Circuit Voltage Low

R025 History........................................... Initiator Circuit Short to Ignition

R026 Current........................................... ...... Driver Initiator Circuit Open

R036 History....................................... Passenger Loop Energy Reserve Feed Open

R051 Current........................................... ....... ...... Frontal Crash Detected

R052 Current........................................... ....... .............. Data Area Full

R061 History........................................... ...... SIR Indicator Circuit Failure

R062 History....................................... Redundant SIR Indicator Circuit Failure

R071 Current............................... Internal Diagnostic Energy Reserve Module Fault

T061 Current........................................... ....... .... Motor Pump Circuit Fault

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    What codes are you getting? (Don't forget to include their definitions)

Re: Maybe a new SRS unit?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    What codes are you getting? (Don't forget to include their definitions)
    Oh boy... there's so many... that's a mission. I'll go get them all as soon as I can.

----------

trouble codes

R016 History .................................... Passenger Initiator Circuit Resistance Low

R017 Current .............................................. Passenger Initiator Circuit Open

R024 History ................................................. Initiator Circuit Voltage Low

R025 History........................................... Initiator Circuit Short to Ignition

R026 Current........................................... ...... Driver Initiator Circuit Open

R036 History....................................... Passenger Loop Energy Reserve Feed Open

R051 Current........................................... ....... ...... Frontal Crash Detected

R052 Current........................................... ....... .............. Data Area Full

R061 History........................................... ...... SIR Indicator Circuit Failure

R062 History....................................... Redundant SIR Indicator Circuit Failure

R071 Current............................... Internal Diagnostic Energy Reserve Module Fault

T061 Current........................................... ....... .... Motor Pump Circuit Fault

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Are they all current?

Have you checked for corrosion on the connector to the module?

Sorry fixed it. No I haven't checked for it, the codes came immediately after the flooding, so I figured corrosion couldn't be the issue.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

This is why flooded cars get totaled. You could be looking for a needle in a haystack. Just out of curiosity, how deep was the water?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

back in the 80's I had a customer come in with her 89 Grand Prix -
    with a check engine light on -
    hunted down the problem - fixed it - sent her down the road -

2 weeks later she came back - with another engine light -
    check it out - completely different problem -
    fixed it - sent her down the road -

one month later she came back - with her dad - another check engine light -
    she was getting pissed at US - asking WHY we can't fix it completely -

I reminded her - each time the check engine light came on -
    it was a completely different - and unrelated problem -

then her dad asked if it made any difference if the car had been under water -

WELL - YA -

he explained the car had been flooded -
    the girl only had liability insurance - ON A ONE YEAR OLD CAR -
    and the flood damage wasn't covered -
    so - he and the daughter took the seats and carpeting out -
    dried everything out - and put it back together -

a took a year for the problems to begin -

EACH AND EVERY CONNECTOR WAS CORRODED -

like Ranger said - there is a reason flooded car are totaled -
    they will NEVER be right -

for your car - I WOULD NOT TRUST THE AIRBAG SYSTEM EVER AGAIN -
    they could go off an any time - for any reason -
    just leave the airbags out or disconnected -

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    This is why flooded cars get totaled. You could be looking for a needle in a haystack. Just out of curiosity, how deep was the water?
    The water originally was just bellow the door and I was able to open the door without water getting in so as I was carefully getting out to try to push it back out of the water (it had died out) a fire truck went flying by and flooded it...it was only slightly above the carpet maybe an inch or less above it it wasn't THAT much water I don't think. I just don't see anything else besides the SRS unit really could have gotten damaged. The way these codes seem to me is that they all pretty much just point to the unit being fried and needing new bags installed. and a new ABS brake pump... I'm probably being really optimistic when I say that too...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Did you pull the carpets and dry everything out? Did you check everything that was below the water line?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Did you pull the carpets and dry everything out? Did you check everything that was below the water line?
    Yes, took everything out and did a very through cleaning and drying to everything.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.