Can someone help?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Can someone help? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I am , I just purchase a 1994 Cadi Deville 73K on a 4.9L Vin B Engine, 4-Door White. ...
    psxguy2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Can someone help?

Hi I am , I just purchase a 1994 Cadi Deville 73K on a 4.9L Vin B Engine, 4-Door White.
    It drives excellent and everything works great, BUT it's my mind trying to figure out why while Driving (every few days only) it all of a sudden Cuts out, I put it in Neutral and it starts right up while driving, it will do this one or twice and stop, THEN the other day, it cut out BUT when restarted it ran 5 Seconds or so (Actual) and cut out, I had to pull over, wait 1 or 2 minutes, then it would restart and go again for only 5 seconds or so, it did this over and over. I had it towed to a repair shop, it started fine there, they put the scan on and no codes showed, I got it back, 1/2 hour latter it did it once again (once this time). I took it the next day to an Electrical shop, they hooked up the code chaser (what ever, ha,ha), had it on/off, all day and nothing. I drove home yesterday and no problem, I'm just waitting for it to happen again. It's driving me . My question is: Has anyone experienced this or know someone who has and what they did? I'd really appreciate it, I love this car but it's jerking me around, ha,ha. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.
    Joe Corelli
    Sun City, Arizona
    (Sorry on the spelling! )

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Can someone help?

Joe Corelli

WELCOME to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your problem. When you check your OBD does it come up with any error codes. Does the battery have enough juice when the car stalls what "exactly" does it do. Does it rev up and die, does it go to a low idle and die. is the battery being drained??? just things to think about im now expert but that is what i can think of

ga_caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    Joe Corelli

WELCOME to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your problem. When you check your OBD does it come up with any error codes. Does the battery have enough juice when the car stalls what "exactly" does it do. Does it rev up and die, does it go to a low idle and die. is the battery being drained??? just things to think about im now expert but that is what i can think of
    It could possibly be the ignition module or the coil. Sometimes when the coil just starts to go bad it will cut out when it gets real hot.

miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member

try this:

Maybe it is your spark plugs. I bet at that mileage, the car never got a fresh set of plugs. Also, try pressing down your "off" button on your A/C console while simultaneasly pressing the temp. up button. Your dash should spit out all of the codes to any problems and this may show up. Write them down and search for them on the net.
    I too am no mechanic, but you can figure this out.
    Good Luck.

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham
    I tend to agree with ga_caddy. It could also be the crank sensor or the connection to that sensor.

cadfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by psxguy2002
    Hi I am , I just purchase a 1994 Cadi Deville 73K on a 4.9L Vin B Engine, 4-Door White.
    It drives excellent and everything works great, BUT it's my mind trying to figure out why while Driving (every few days only) it all of a sudden Cuts out, I put it in Neutral and it starts right up while driving, it will do this one or twice and stop, THEN the other day, it cut out BUT when restarted it ran 5 Seconds or so (Actual) and cut out, I had to pull over, wait 1 or 2 minutes, then it would restart and go again for only 5 seconds or so, it did this over and over. I had it towed to a repair shop, it started fine there, they put the scan on and no codes showed, I got it back, 1/2 hour latter it did it once again (once this time). I took it the next day to an Electrical shop, they hooked up the code chaser (what ever, ha,ha), had it on/off, all day and nothing. I drove home yesterday and no problem, I'm just waitting for it to happen again. It's driving me . My question is: Has anyone experienced this or know someone who has and what they did? I'd really appreciate it, I love this car but it's jerking me around, ha,ha. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.
    Joe Corelli
    Sun City, Arizona
    (Sorry on the spelling! )
    Its been awhile, but I believe there is a ground update for that year. The main ground for PCM and so on is on the lower frt. of the block, somewhat behind the motor mount. The cutting out sounds like a ground problem. Checks that ground to make sure its tight.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.