Aftermarket radio install and a few other questions - 2000 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Aftermarket radio install and a few other questions - 2000 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone, My name is John and just purchased a 2000 deville (base model). 51k original miles, im the second ...
    Jturbo86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville/09 Srt8 GC

Aftermarket radio install and a few other questions - 2000 Deville

Hi everyone, My name is John and just purchased a 2000 deville (base model). 51k original miles, im the second owner and i know the first. The car is a baby. . . . it worries me because i know these northstars actually need a little abuse, Ill take care of that. This car will be my daily driver, I previously had a 00 jeep xj, lifted, it was not a pleasure to drive!

My first question is:
    I'd like to install my aftermarket head-unit and I just want to make sure i get the right adapter (and the best). I don't mind spending the money on an expensive one as long as it works! Like i stated above I have a base model, i'd like to keep my steering wheel controls but not a major issue if i lose them. However, and im not sure if one has to do with the other but, I need to keep my steering wheel HVAC controls. My driver side temp adjustment knob is broken, anyone selling HVAC controls?

If someone could post a link or an exact model number adapter I need i'd greatly appreciate it!

Next up, the cooling system. I plan on just going green and keeping it simple. Ill just change the coolant every 1.5-2 years, any objections?

Oil. . . 10w30 syn is what im probably going to go with although ive been thinking, rotary engine NEED conventional oil bc they are designed to burn it, the cross hatching on these northstars is deep and they burn oil because of it. So in theory it might be better to go with the conventional, ill be changing it every 3-4k anyways. Any thoughts?

Back to the radio, I think im going to pull the rear sub and replace it with a 10" alpine type-x (i already have it so thats what im using) I might just free air the thing at 500w rms and see how it does. If it becomes a problems ill build a en-closer for it but these subs are fairly stout and at half the rms rating i think it'll be ok for a while.

Lastly, no center console. . . . wtf is this? front bench seats in cars should have died in the 70's! ill be making a custom one thats fills that horrible space between the driver and passenger so stay tuned. . .

Thank you for any help/suggestions they maybe offered and hope to be an active member of the community!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jturbo86
    My first question is:
    I'd like to install my aftermarket head-unit and I just want to make sure i get the right adapter (and the best). I don't mind spending the money on an expensive one as long as it works! Like i stated above I have a base model, i'd like to keep my steering wheel controls but not a major issue if i lose them. However, and im not sure if one has to do with the other but, I need to keep my steering wheel HVAC controls.
    The integration kit you need is a Metra GMOS-06. PAC audio makes a separate module to maintain (audio) steering wheel controls, if the new HU supports it. HVAC controls will still work regardless.

Next up, the cooling system. I plan on just going green and keeping it simple. Ill just change the coolant every 1.5-2 years, any objections?
    Nope

Oil. . . 10w30 syn is what im probably going to go with although ive been thinking, rotary engine NEED conventional oil bc they are designed to burn it, the cross hatching on these northstars is deep and they burn oil because of it. So in theory it might be better to go with the conventional, ill be changing it every 3-4k anyways. Any thoughts?
    Use whatever oil you'd like, as long as it's the correct viscosity.

Your oil change interval will be very wasteful. Go to the black tab at the top of the page, and click on Cadillac Technical Archives. Read the ENTIRE page, LOTS of good info. Pay particular attention to the section on the OLM.

Lastly, no center console. . . . wtf is this? front bench seats in cars should have died in the 70's! ill be making a custom one thats fills that horrible space between the driver and passenger so stay tuned. . .
    Another option is to install a center console and floor shifter from a DTS.

BTW,

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Aftermarket radio install and a few other questions (just bought an 00 deville!)

I would strongly recommend that you read your owner's manual, the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar, as well as surf through the Discussions, Cadillac Tech Tips threads. You have some very antiquated notions about car maintenance in these vehicles. Read the stickys at the top (just over this thread) in any forum you visit - Acronyms - Do you speak "OLM" and 10,000 mile oil/filter changes ?? Cooling system maintenance, different coolants, and 3-4 year exchanges ?

Your engine (roller cam) is recommended for 5W-30 and regular gasoline. Some run 10W-30 with good results. Read the oil recommendation pages in the owner's manual.

Your drivetrain uses the VIN Y 275 hp engine and a 3.11:1 economy final drive. It is NOT a "performance" setup -it is a highway economy cruise setup.

These engines DO NOT "burn oil". The GM target for these Northstars is ~2,000 miles/quart - some get 600 miles/quart, some get 6,000. It all depends on YOUR engine and its mechanical and oil seal "tightness". My preference ??? A 5W-30 synthetic with a WIX 51522 filter.

Talk to Ranger about hitting the junkyards and swapping in a set of seats/center console. The Deville line was modeled to appeal to a broad range of buyers, and many still prefer the split bench.

Do some homework, get a real GM/Helm service manual set and study like a madman. You're on a STEEP learning curve.

I'll keep my mouth shut about aftermarket ghetto blasters.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Aftermarket radio install and a few other questions (just bought an 00 deville!)

correct viscosity for that car is 5w30
    the engine is spec'd for conventional oil and the oil life monitor system calculates based on that

make sure to check your oil level every couple tanks of gas until you are comfortable knowing how much oil is being consumed regularly

i stopped checking the dipstick after confirming that my oil level sensor worked properly and just add a quart and a half or two quarts when the low oil level message appears
    (usually once between oil changes for me)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Re: Aftermarket radio install and a few other questions - 2000 Deville

Submariner, thank you for your input. I don't think i referred to the northstar as a "performance engine" although throw a LS wiring harness (with some timing related gadgets) and some tuning, I'm pretty sure i'd completely change your option on that one. I've seen these engines with the heads removed and i'd say anyone who has assembled an engine before will tell you that GM knew these things would burn oil. I was just curious if anyone had the same theory that I did that conventional oil might be better suited for these engines.

As for the "OLM" yea i have one of those in my srt8, I've learned not to trust it, especially after having my oil tested. 5w30 winter/10w30 summer

The factory based coolant change interval is irrelevant based on the fact that most don't know the history of the maintenance of the car and how bad the coolant system has been contaminated. Do a full flush and go with dex, i'd still say given the history of these engines it would be a good idea to "over maintain" the coolant systems. I don't know if you've seen what Al. heads look like after they've been overheated, or a block for that matter but ill spend the extra time and $ to make sure everything is well maintained.

I don't know that swapping in a set of seats and console is a good option for me. It'd be counter productive and defeat the purpose of buying a low mile car with an immaculate interior but thank you for the advice.

Ill be ordering the adapter so I can get my ghetto blaster in place so i can use my. . . . . say it with me, "BLUETOOTH" its this crazy things the kids love!

Thanks for all the help so far, im going to work on my steep learning curve.
    -John

Disclaimer: everything state above is based on my limited knowledge of land yachts .

The GM OLM is NOT the same as the Chrysler one. It can be trusted without question. It also has a 100% safety margin.

These engines were designed to consume a small amount of oil. The term "burning" oil usually implies a mechanical fault.

Nobody will argue with you about not following the 5 year coolant change interval. Most here will recommend it be done every 2 years, 3 max.

Don't worry about warping or damaging anything if the engine overheats. Are you familiar with camel mode? The Northstar was designed to be driven 50 miles with NO coolant.

yea, I know about the "camel mode" yeah for aluminum thermal conductivity!. The head-bolts will pull before the heads warp terribly but the most heads tend to slightly warp in production when they tq the head-bolts.Basically what im saying is, camel mode or not, if the engine runs hot it's going to "tweak" the heads which is an issue that will add to my headache if/when i blow a head gasket. Ok, ill give the OLM a shot! if it saves me money and the car stay happy then it works for me!

BlackInjun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Jturbo86 View Post
    Submariner, thank you for your input. I don't think i referred to the northstar as a "performance engine" although throw a LS wiring harness (with some timing related gadgets) and some tuning, I'm pretty sure i'd completely change your option on that one.

As for the "OLM" yea i have one of those in my srt8, I've learned not to trust it, especially after having my oil tested. 5w30 winter/10w30 summer

I don't know if you've seen what Al. heads look like after they've been overheated, or a block for that matter but ill spend the extra time and $ to make sure everything is well maintained.[/b]
    OOOhhhhhhhhhhh, did someone with a lower post count than mine take on Submariner then try to clean it up with a disclaimer
    basscatt likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Jturbo86, It's a good thing you added a "disclaimer" to Post #5: Several members could easily shove every word (as regards the 2000 engine management system and the programming for the entire car) up your butt.

"know these things would burn oil" - Huh ??? A right decent number of members in here get over 2,000 miles/quart - I'm currently running about 6,000 miles/quart, and a LOT of that is fast and highway, using synthetic 5W-30 - the entire outside of the engine is as dry as a bone.

You might want to read up on the dead nuts accuracy of the OLM - again, in the Cadillac Technical Archive (written by the engineers that designed and tested the OLM algorithms).

If you would like some pictorial info on your new engine, look through my albums - the Community tab, Albums, the red Seville - 2 albums, 6 pages of stuff for most of your car.

You're correct - I know absolutely nothing about these vehicles, so I'll shut up and leave you to your studies.
    basscatt and RicMir like this.

you may know a lot about these cars but not to much about the English language. I said nothing about them leaking and they have very deep cross hatching on the cylinder walls which will promote good lubrication but oil WILL pass the rings and BURN in the cylinder, therefore they DO burn oil. You said it yourself, GM allowed for a 2k/1qt. Im not sure where you received your education but mine says that is oil consumption. I'm not saying I know a lot about these cars but ive gotten more power out of bone stock 2.0 then you've pulled out of any 8 you've owned. Just because you know Cadillac and have a high post count doesn't mean a thing to me.

----------

As far as the engine management goes im not sure what you're trying to get at? I know with 100% certainty you CAN get these engines to run with a LS wiring harness and ECM/ECU/ECS what ever you want to call it.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Jt... definitely put the GM OLM to the same test you did with the SRT8 ... most other members who send off oil samples tend to report back positive findings
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Pulling more power out if these engines is nothing new..... If they're installed in, say, a Fiero or sand rail. But try it with the engine still in one of these FWD Cadillacs, while retaining all of the car's electronic functionality...

And what's with the attitude? I wouldn't get too snotty just yet, sub builds engines in his spare time.

Because I feel like this guy jumped on, what i thought to be fairly legitimate questions. I was looking for constructive quick response and he completely took what I said out of context. Would I modify this engine? no. Could I and do i feel it is a performance engine in a luxury car? Yes. Do I think the car is set up for performance? No. Did I say it was? No.

Ian-STS99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

Now now girls and lasses ....... lets all calm down here eh ?

DSNCB919 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum
    Look up DSNCB919 on youtube for my 03 DTS I have aftermarket radio. If u want to keep ur wheel controls youll need to buy adapter

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.