Temp gauge question.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Temp gauge question. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just completed a round trip to Indianapolis motor speedway and back from Columbus Ohio, and when I pulled into ...
    trailor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Deville DTS, 120K Miles

Temp gauge question.

I just completed a round trip to Indianapolis motor speedway and back from Columbus Ohio, and when I pulled into my driveway I noticed my temp gauge started to pass the the half way mark. Maybe running 210 if that's what above halfway would be. Should I be concerned?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Temp guage question.

210 is normal operating temperature. If it just slightly and temporarily passed 12:00 I wouldn't worry.
    Attached Images

Whew. It's time for a oil change again anyways so I will ask the guys to check every thing out. It was more about 215 and definitely not near 230. That's a great picture. That's the first time it has creeped that high since I've owned the car and its the 3rd or 4th trip long distance, 366 miles to the tank. Just want to be careful.

My '97 had the digi dash so I was able to monitor coolant temps and it ran a consistent 205 (Summer) - 215 (Winter). I have only seen the gauge on my '03 move off of 12:00 once, but as I said, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Awesome Ranger. Then I won't lose any sleep tonight. Thanks fella. Trash this thread!!

Sleep tight. We'll leave the thread. It may help others in the future.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

trailor, You might want to go to the Engines, Northstar Performance forum and read the 3 cooling system/gauge operation sticky posts.

Also, go way up ^^^ in the top black bar and study the Cadillac Technical Archive. Most of that was written by one of the Northstar Powertrain design team engineers.

Many pictures and diagrams of your cooling system and other parts in my albums - the Community tab, Albums, the red Seville. 2 albums, 6 pages of stuff.

Click on those obscure tabs in this entire site - you might be amazed to find out what's stored in here.

c_d
    c_d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Beetle 2.5L Manual, 08 Audi A3 TDI, 04 DeVille DTS

A $16 peace-of-mind solution may also be to operate a bluetooth OBD2 reader with Torque Pro on an Android phone/tablet. The combination of both enables you to constantly monitor the sensors and spout an alarm whenever a fault code is found or one of your alert thresholds has been passed. The dongles start below $10 but when you are concerned about your battery go with at least version 1.4 or 2.0 of the ELM327 chips (almost all of the cheaper modules are based on the ELM chips), because they support a "sleep mode" and do not munch away your battery when not in operation.

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)

Yeh a smidge off 12 is normal it does that in really hot driving or idling about a half inch or so

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Another trick, easy to mount and see in real time, is a ScanGauge-II. It plugs into the OBD-II port, has a 6-foot cable, and you can set it up to watch 4 of 12 "gauges" - sensor readouts - in real time on a screen. A CF member in Annapolis turned me onto the thing 6 years ago - now have one in the car and both trucks.

I monitor Intake Air Temp, Ignition Advance, MAP, and Coolant Temp. The thing is also a fuel calculator and trouble code scanner with a "Ready/Not ready' readout. www.scangauge.com

Bringing this back up. My temp gauge has been running more towards the 1 o'clock mark during normal and slight traffic. And the other night, during a bad accident with stop traffic, like dead stop for about and hour, it almost went to 2 I clock. I would turn the fan speed up and it would bounce down and once I got back to full speed on the highway, it went to normal 12 o'clock. The weather here has been 60s and down to the low 40s so I don't know if that has any to do with it. Also, should I check my coolant and see if I need some? No warning lights have never came on for low coolant or anything. Just worries me. I'm about to have my first child and now having to replace both front wheel bearings($3,000 in repairs since July), a head gasket failure would not be good.

Re: Temp gauge question.

Something doesn't sound right (unless you have a more sensitive gauge). Temp increase at idle is normal, but these gauges are so dumbed down that mine will idle all day long at 12:00.

You should check your coolant level every once in a while just out of habit.

It only happened with I was dead stopped in bumper to bumper traffic. I was reading the technical archive and my car should be checked for a coolant flush. It sounds like you really have to try and ruin these head gaskets. Since my car does have 124k miles, will doing a coolant flush do more damage or should I do it as soon as possible?

Re: Temp gauge question.

No need to flush anything but the toilet. Just drain and refill 50/50 Dex/distilled water ever 2-3 years.

Ok. I will do that. I've owned it for two years now. I will report back tomorrow or later this week about what I find. Well definitely tomorrow about checking it. What are these GM tablets I read about for coolant? And also, check the coolant when the engine is cold?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.