changing plugs
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, changing plugs in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I would like to change my spark plugs on my 97 concours. Is this a procedure that a rookie mechanic ...
  1. #1
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    33
    Posts
    92

    changing plugs

    I would like to change my spark plugs on my 97 concours. Is this a procedure that a rookie mechanic can do? (I have changed brakes, belts, hoses and my radiator before) Does anyone know a website that gives instructions?

    Thanks in advance for any responses.
    P.S. How do you know when you should change them? My car is slow to start half the time (4-6 seconds).

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    cadfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    47

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by miishmiish
    I would like to change my spark plugs on my 97 concours. Is this a procedure that a rookie mechanic can do? (I have changed brakes, belts, hoses and my radiator before) Does anyone know a website that gives instructions?

    Thanks in advance for any responses.
    P.S. How do you know when you should change them? My car is slow to start half the time (4-6 seconds).
    Are you changing the plugs because of the slow to start? That prop. is not the problem. The plugs are easy to change. Make sure you get the right ones. As for the slow to start. Do you mean slow crank or takes time to start but cranks normal speed??

  4. #3
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    33
    Posts
    92

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by cadfan
    Are you changing the plugs because of the slow to start? That prop. is not the problem. The plugs are easy to change. Make sure you get the right ones. As for the slow to start. Do you mean slow crank or takes time to start but cranks normal speed??
    First off, thanks for the response; much appreciated.
    It cranks normally but just takes really long at times, and at other times ignintes instantly-totally random. I am scared that one time when I really need it, it may not start at all. I thought maybe changing the plugs would help, but how do you know if it's time to change the plugs? ALSO, how do you access the four plugs behind the engine? Do I have to remove a whole bunch of things to get to them?
    Thanks for any assistance.

  5. #4
    cadfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    47

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by miishmiish
    First off, thanks for the response; much appreciated.
    It cranks normally but just takes really long at times, and at other times ignintes instantly-totally random. I am scared that one time when I really need it, it may not start at all. I thought maybe changing the plugs would help, but how do you know if it's time to change the plugs? ALSO, how do you access the four plugs behind the engine? Do I have to remove a whole bunch of things to get to them?
    Thanks for any assistance.
    It sounds like the fuel pressure regulator diaphram has a hole in it. Remove the 4 nuts holding the engine cover on. Remove it. You will see,as you look at the engine from the front, the plen. injectors. On the rearward side of the plen. you will see alittle vac hose going into a round almost black and goldish round object that sits in the fuel rail. A small silver clip holds it in place. This is the fuel pressure reg. Remove the vac. hose at the top. Look for wettness or the smell of fuel. If you smell or see any, you will need to rreplace this. Pretty easy. As far as the plugs go, the northstar run plat. plugs that generally go 100,000 miles. Sometimes they break down. You will notice this in a misfire. Access to the plugs in back in easy too. The best way is to remove the cross bar. Then remove the spark plug wires from the coil paks making sure you know where they go. If orig. they will be marked. Disconnect and remove the coil paks. 4 10mm bolts- 1 on each side and 2 on the bottom rear. Once you got that out the plug are under the pak. Install in reverse order. If not the fuel reg. then maybe crank position sensors. Are there any troulbe codes?

  6. #5
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    33
    Posts
    92

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by cadfan
    It sounds like the fuel pressure regulator diaphram has a hole in it. Remove the 4 nuts holding the engine cover on. Remove it. You will see,as you look at the engine from the front, the plen. injectors. On the rearward side of the plen. you will see alittle vac hose going into a round almost black and goldish round object that sits in the fuel rail. A small silver clip holds it in place. This is the fuel pressure reg. Remove the vac. hose at the top. Look for wettness or the smell of fuel. If you smell or see any, you will need to rreplace this. Pretty easy. As far as the plugs go, the northstar run plat. plugs that generally go 100,000 miles. Sometimes they break down. You will notice this in a misfire. Access to the plugs in back in easy too. The best way is to remove the cross bar. Then remove the spark plug wires from the coil paks making sure you know where they go. If orig. they will be marked. Disconnect and remove the coil paks. 4 10mm bolts- 1 on each side and 2 on the bottom rear. Once you got that out the plug are under the pak. Install in reverse order. If not the fuel reg. then maybe crank position sensors. Are there any troulbe codes?
    There is no wetness or smell of fuel. I don't detect misfiring -I assume that I would detect it through random losses of power. But I don't feel that, and my check engine light is not on, and I recently passed a smog test. I got three codes from my dash:

    IPC U1255
    RSS C1783
    RSS C1785

    I got a ton of other codes but they were all "history" and these were the only current ones. What do you think?
    P.S. I should tell you I have the "service ride control" signal on, as does pretty much every caddy owner I have spoken too. And my odometer/speedometer is out too (which also makes my car jump by gassing itself at random times). -I just bought the car and all this crap happened literally the next day.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

  7. #6
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    33
    Posts
    92

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by cadfan
    Are you changing the plugs because of the slow to start? That prop. is not the problem. The plugs are easy to change. Make sure you get the right ones. As for the slow to start. Do you mean slow crank or takes time to start but cranks normal speed??
    I changed my plugs following your exact instructions printed out beside me. THANK YOU very much. You saved me 100 bucks and the peace of mind knowing it was done right with decent plugs (bosch platinum).

  8. #7
    Ralph's Avatar
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    16,028

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by miishmiish
    I changed my plugs following your exact instructions printed out beside me. THANK YOU very much. You saved me 100 bucks and the peace of mind knowing it was done right with decent plugs (bosch platinum).
    My dad's Northstar I think has twin plugs per cyl. (16) does you '97 have the same number?

  9. #8
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    33
    Posts
    92

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    My dad's Northstar I think has twin plugs per cyl. (16) does you '97 have the same number?
    No. Just 8 plugs for 8 cylinders.

  10. #9
    Ralph's Avatar
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    16,028

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by miishmiish
    No. Just 8 plugs for 8 cylinders.
    OK, must just be the DTS that has them then. How is the car running now, does it start a lot quicker?

  11. #10
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    33
    Posts
    92

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    OK, must just be the DTS that has them then. How is the car running now, does it start a lot quicker?
    Nope. Still has the same problem. But after driving it a few miles, it is noticeably smoother and quieter. I think I may change the plug wires too; I heard they make a big difference as well.

  12. #11
    El Dobro's Avatar
    El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,471
    Only 1 sparkplug per cylinder on a Northstar. More than enough.

  13. #12
    Ralph's Avatar
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    16,028

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by miishmiish
    Nope. Still has the same problem. But after driving it a few miles, it is noticeably smoother and quieter. I think I may change the plug wires too; I heard they make a big difference as well.
    Yeah, the wires make a big difference, and I could feel it on some of my other cars I've had.

  14. #13
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    33
    Posts
    92

    Re: changing plugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Yeah, the wires make a big difference, and I could feel it on some of my other cars I've had.
    I took your word for it and bought wires today and installed them. They do make a big difference, my enging is quieter and my shifting is smoother too. Thanks!

  15. #14
    Night Wolf's Avatar
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Where I park it
    Posts
    11,009
    plug wires should have nothing to do with how the car shifts.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting