1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, I'm thinking of buying a 2000 DTS. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Can I get any input on this car? It seems to be in great condition, has 107k miles on it, ...
- 07-26-13 01:23 AM #1Cadillac Owners Member
- Join Date
- Jul 2013
I'm thinking of buying a 2000 DTS.
Can I get any input on this car? It seems to be in great condition, has 107k miles on it, cold a/c, immaculate interior and exterior but the one thing that is turning me off about her is that there is a very slight oil leak...
- Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
- 07-26-13 01:38 AM #2
What to look for in these cars has been discussed many times in the FWD Deville/Fleetwood forums.
In a nutshell, other than the obvious used car checks:
- Make sure it doesn't need shocks or struts, they're active and EXPENSIVE.
- Window regulators are a fairly common common failure on last gen Devilles. There's a cheap and permanent solution to the problem.
- The blend door actuator for the rear seat temp control will most likely be broken.
- Read the "sticky" thread at the top of the FWD Deville/Fleetwood page on how to pull DTCs, and do so.
- Drive the car HARD on the test drive, plenty of WOT. If the temp needle moves more than a couple of "ticks" past the center line, WALK.
- I highly recommend performing a block test (a chemical test that indicates if there are traces of combustion gasses in the cooling system, a sign of HG failure) on any Northstar powered vehicle.
The oil leak could be anything from a $2 O ring, to a leaking half case seal that requires drivetrain removal and major engine disassembly.
- 07-26-13 02:47 AM #3