Questions - 1997 Deville repair and maintenance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Questions - 1997 Deville repair and maintenance in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So many questions, so many threads! I'm going to go ahead and keep the rest of my questions in this ...
    AlcoholicProgram is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 DeVille

Questions - 1997 Deville repair and maintenance

So many questions, so many threads! I'm going to go ahead and keep the rest of my questions in this thread so I don't have 1,000 threads for all my questions. I've got a few right now (not related to my A/C or brakes, as far as I know )

Currently, I will be ordering a surge tank for my 97 DeVille. Few questions about this: It seems very simple to replace, but what exactly is this thing?? What goes in it?

Next question;
    My front two windows do not roll down, but my rear ones do. The front two do not make any sound or anything, the buttons just don't do anything! Will a new window motor most likely fix my issue? From what I'm seeing the DeVille only has one fuse for all four windows (correct me if I'm wrong, I actually think I am as I don't understand how both front windows can go out at the same time), what else could cause this issue, and what all can I do to troubleshoot it?

Number three;
    I've got a rusted out muffler, my right-side muffler to be specific. I was going to replace both of the mufflers with the SoundFX Walker mufflers until my brakes went out on me, now I'm tight on cash. From my understanding, the 54151 is the stock muffler on the DeVille in the right-side. Can someone confirm this?

Question four!;
    The vehicle was involved in a minor accident from the previous owner, the front bumper has a nice little crack in it and a few dents. What's the best place to purchase OEM body panels/pieces? (With factory color options if possible)

That's all for now! I'm sure more will come soon..
    I also want to say you guys have been very helpful so far and have been helping more than any shops or mechanic places. (They all just want me to have them fix everything! )

Thanks again everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Junkyard bumper.
    Window switch drivers prob bad, ebay/junkyard(30-50 dollars). Both mine were bad. All the window wiring goes through this switch then to each door. The switches break easily, also any water from window being left down(who hasn't done that) can trash them.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Questions - 1997 Deville repair and maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by AlcoholicProgram View Post
    Currently, I will be ordering a surge tank for my 97 DeVille. Few questions about this: It seems very simple to replace, but what exactly is this thing?? What goes in it?
    The surge tank is where the coolant goes (there is no "radiator cap"). On many other cars it is called the coolant reservoir or overflow tank and is unpressurized. On the Northstar it is a part of the pressurized cooling system. It is the expansion tank for the coolant to go to when it expands as well as provides coolant when the W/P RPM increases and draws down the coolant. Just rev the engine with the cap off (cold engine) and you'll see what I mean. It will draw down and then rise again when the RPM comes down, thus the name "surge" tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The surge tank is where the coolant goes (there is no "radiator cap"). On many other cars it is called the coolant reservoir or overflow tank and is unpressurized. On the Northstar it is a part of the pressurized cooling system. It is the expansion tank for the coolant to go to when it expands as well as provides coolant when the W/P RPM increases and draws down the coolant. Just rev the engine with the cap off (cold engine) and you'll see what I mean. It will draw down and then rise again when the RPM comes down, thus the name "surge" tank.
    Any special thing needed to be done when replacing this? I watched a video last night and it seemed all they did was replace the old one, and fill the new one back up.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    That's pretty much it.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

what you really need is the Factory Service Manuals -
    it is a 2 volume set - and YES - you need BOTH books -
    it is the BIBLE - how to diagnose and fix every single thing on the car -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Cadilla...507cc8&vxp=mtr

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    what you really need is the Factory Service Manuals -
    it is a 2 volume set - and YES - you need BOTH books -
    it is the BIBLE - how to diagnose and fix every single thing on the car -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Cadilla...507cc8&vxp=mtr
    I remember having one of those for our 05 Mercedes. So much joy in working on that!

Thanks for the link!

Discovered something new that's rather.. Weird..
    Whenever I turn the vehicle on (On, engine off) after it sits for an hour or so, there's this strange "knocking" that very gently moves the vehicle (wouldn't notice it unless you were really paying attention. Checked the codes for anything odd, after clearing them I still get the following code.

B1971 HISTORY - Inadvertent Power

I have cleared this numerous times and it still returns, also take note, my license plate lamps do not work and none of my interior lights work, could this be the cause? What exactly does this inadvertent power mean?

There's also this pumping sound that comes from underneath the vehicle when I leave it on (engine off) that I am not familiar with. It comes and goes, sound stays for about 30 seconds or less, and doesn't come back for a good minute or so.

Interior lights will ONLY work when it's dark out unless you turn the knob.
    That noise with key on is ELC running(do a search here for it only a few hundred thousand posts about it).
    License plates bulbs are prob blown out.
    There is only one bulb btw.
    inadvertent power turns everything off after 10 minutes of car being off so it doesn't drain the battery. The relay is prob bad. Located in fuse panel under hood FSM states. Swap with horn relay if both are 4 pin and see if code goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Interior lights will ONLY work when it's dark out unless you turn the knob.
    That noise with key on is ELC running(do a search here for it only a few hundred thousand posts about it).
    License plates bulbs are prob blown out.
    There is only one bulb btw.
    inadvertent power turns everything off after 10 minutes of car being off so it doesn't drain the battery. The relay is prob bad. Located in fuse panel under hood FSM states. Swap with horn relay if both are 4 pin and see if code goes away.
    Hmm. Could that relay be the possibility of why the car is hard to start after a night of sitting outside? Explains why the guy I bought it from had to jump it..

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the interior lights do not turn on at all, at night, when I turn them on, nothing. Before I was getting the code

B2471 HISTORY - Interior Lamp Fault

but when I cleared it I never got it again.

That relay also interacts with the interior lights IIRC.
    There is a relay for interior lamps behind back seat, but bet that code is directly related to the Inadvert code.
    I hope you got a good deal on this car

That relay also interacts with the interior lights IIRC.
    There is a relay for interior lamps behind back seat, but bet that code is directly related to the Inadvert code.
    I hope you got a good deal on this car
    $800 for it, I'm not complaining.

Did you check the fuse for lights also?

Did you check the fuse for lights also?
    I have not yet, are they in the trunk or engine compartment?

Looks to be under hood, I would check the rear panel also though

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.