swap passkey and key cylinder (ignition switch) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, swap passkey and key cylinder (ignition switch) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    jokken is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville base - blk

Re: swap passkey and key cylinder (ignition switch)

so, I consider myself very fortunate. I couldn't get to the locksmith yesterday so I decided to try the relearn procedure with just the keys from the key cylinder I got from the 2002 deville in the salvage yard (the "matching" passkey3 from the salvaged 2002 was also already installed in my 2003 deville, the 2 passkey3's did have different part numbers, the stickers even showed different software versions between the 2002 and 2003, I’m glad they were interchangeable) (cost $75 cash at the salvage yard)

so after the 30 minute procedure (3 cycles of10 minutes) the car started right up, no DTCs no nothing. And as one of the links said I turned it back off put in the other key and turned it to the run position and the security light went off in 15 seconds and the second key was learned and the car started right up again with that key.

I see now my EGR replacement is good too. I had just finished an EGR replacement and had the rear ignition coil pack off too. And the car never started after. Now you see why I was worried I was chasing the wrong issue. I worried I broke something else doing the EGR job.... especially because when passkey3 was disabling the start of my car I just was getting nothing from the starter and I did unexpectedly hear the fuel pump turn on, so that worried me more. I consider myself very fortunate.

so one question I have is why the need to relearn keys if the passkey3 is from the same car the keys and key cylinder came from? I am guessing the answer is that the passkey3 is not the module that actually learns the key, it is some other module further down the line....?

i dont think you normally need a replacement passkey3 for this procedure, I just did cause I broke mine trying to get the key cylinder to turn... (neanderthal) meaning you should be able to replace the key cylinder and ‘relearn’ the new keys using the procedure.

thanks moistcabbage.
    98eldo32v thanks for all the info, the links and the procedure writeup, very very helpful!

here is another link that basically says the same procedure
    http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2077-0011.pdf

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: swap passkey and key cylinder (ignition switch)

I think once the starting is disabled, the vehicle isn't going to recognize the "old" keys per se'.

It's almost as if the pcm locks you out.

In order to start the "learn" sequence (at least for me when I swapped columns) I needed an "unlearned" key. With the "unlearned" key NOW being introduced to the pcm, it opens a door way to program "other" keys and start the vehicle.

Glad you sorted it out and you're up and running again.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.