Installed a new starter. Car started, but eventually died. 1994 Deville Concours
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Installed a new starter. Car started, but eventually died. 1994 Deville Concours in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; After a friend installed a new starter on my 1994 Deville Concours, I decided to test drive it. (6 days ...
    Powers25 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Deville Concours

Question Installed a new starter. Car started, but eventually died. 1994 Deville Concours

After a friend installed a new starter on my 1994 Deville Concours, I decided to test drive it. (6 days later) The battery is 4 months old, but was not even connected prior to 6 days ago. I drove about 1/10th of a mile, and the battery just died. I successfully jumped it but it died after 30-45 seconds. I jumped it again, revved the engine, but it died after 30 seconds. The cluster reading read LOW VOLTAGE before it died. I am unable to get it to turn over now. It will not even crank.

I am going to bring the battery to be tested tomorrow, but again, the battery is brand new. It is 4 months old,
    but was not used. It was however sitting in my Cadillac in 100 plus degree weather for the last two months.
    Could this have drained it?

What are your thoughts? Do I need a new battery or alternator?

Thank you very much for assisting me.

Semper Fi,
    SSgt Powers

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

A bad battery is definitely a possibility. Have it charged and tested, and replaced if necessary. Once it's back in the car and the engine is running, check your voltage on the DIC.

It sounds more like a bad alternator though to be honest.
    SGWORLDWIDE and Powers25 like this.

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)

Re: Installed a new starter. Car started, but eventually died. 1994 Deville Concours

yeh im with moist a bad battery would not cause a car to die u can remove the battery after the car starts and it will still run the alternator is what keeps it running and recharges the battery and is more closely linked then the starter but check the battery anyway as a failing alternator can kill the battery aswell if the voltage regulator is stuck happen to me had to replace all three starter battery and alternator
    Powers25 likes this.

A bad battery can absolutely cause the engine to cut out, and most modern cars will not run with the battery removed.

The reason I suspect the alternator, is the fact that the car started and ran initially, but died while driving.
    SGWORLDWIDE and Powers25 like this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Installed a new starter. Car started, but eventually died. 1994 Deville Concours

Quote Originally Posted by Powers25 View Post
    I am going to bring the battery to be tested tomorrow, but again, the battery is brand new. It is 4 months old,
    That's no guarantee that it's not the battery. I've had them fail in 6 months. Even had bad ones right off the shelf. Don't rule it out until it's tested.
    Powers25 likes this.

Hi, I just got the battery charged, put it in, and it started right away. I let it run for about 5 minutes, and then disconnected the negative battery cable. Once I disco'd it, the car died. Is there any chance that this is not tied to the alternator? Any idea how much I will be charged to have them put in an alternator in a 94' Concours, 4.6?

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)

Yeh i guess car companies these days dont want people pulling there car batterys out while the cars on lol though it use to be a way to test for a bad alternator i still suspect the alternator though
    Powers25 likes this.

Not a good idea to disconnect the battery while the engine is running on todays cars.
    Powers25 likes this.

Wondering why modern cars shut down when the battery is disconnected? Take a look at your fuse box, where does it get it's power?

Powers,
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    Once it's back in the car and the engine is running, check your voltage on the DIC.

Ranger, why, is it computer related?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Why?? Disconnecting a battery while motor is running is a great way to cause a voltage surge which can fry the PCM, or blow any number of fuses. Why the heck did you disconnect battery while running? If you recall it's some trick your grandpa told you , forget it. Charge battery, start car, check voltage at battery with Vom! You can do that?
    Powers25 likes this.

No, but todays cars have much more electronics in them than the old days and the battery (as MC pointed out) is an integral part of the electrical system as opposed to the old days when it was strictly used to start the car.
    Powers25 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    No, but todays cars have much more electronics in them than the old days and the battery (as MC pointed out) is an integral part of the electrical system as opposed to the old days when it was strictly used to start the car.
    Some braniac at O'Reilly's told me to do it. Yes, I will buy a voltomitor and test it. Thanks for your help.

No need for a VOM. As posted, you have a voltage readout on your DIC.

I went to O'Reilly's before I read your reply. I was told my voltage regulator failed. At this point I realize that I need to replace the
    alternator.

Unfortunately, it got worse, as coolant came out of the overflow as he was checking the voltage. On my way home the cluster read HOT COOLANT.
    I stopped to let it cool down and then drove the remaining 2 miles home. At the very end it read ENGINE OVERHEAT.
    Did I just fu*k this car up?
    What else besides my radiator could cause the overheating?

Thank you so much for assisting me.....all of you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.