No brake fluid, 97 DeVille - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, No brake fluid, 97 DeVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I would never get under a car jacked up with one of those unless I had a death wish. If ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: No brake fluid, 97 DeVille

I would never get under a car jacked up with one of those unless I had a death wish. If you want to jack it up and peek under it, that's OK, but don't go crawling under it. Just assume it will come crashing down at any given moment and you'll be OK.

AlcoholicProgram is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 DeVille

Might have to wait for my money to hit and go walk to NAPA to see if they have any jacks I can get. I do have a jack right now, but I think it's low on hydraulic fluid as it will only jack the car up so much. And I am missing the original tool to it so I have to use a screwdriver and a rusty pipe I found..

On the hydraulic note: I was told I can put brake fluid in it and it will work just as good, this true?

Yeah, that should work. Treat it just like a factory jack though. You should always have a jack stand under the car to support it if the jack fails.

Well in that case, I'm going to wait until Friday night/Saturday morning as my buddy is going to bring by a jack and two stands. Should be plenty to see what's going on under there and to get the job done.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Just get it towed to the mechanic and let them deal with it. Brakes aren't the type of thing you want to touch when you don't know what you're doing and have never done it before, especially lines. There's too much to go wrong and by the time you get everything you need to do to it and if my some miracle you manage to get the job done it would have been cheaper and quicker to have the mechanic do it.

You only have to replace whatever line is rusted and leaking. Just because one area rotted out doesn't mean it all is but whoever looks at it will be able to tell what all should be replaced. Yes you need to put fluid in it to find the leak but leaks never magically fix themselves. Press the pedal a couple times and you'll be back to where you are now. There's no point in bleeding anything until it's fixed, it probably won't bleed properly with a leak anyway.
    Jfarr likes this.

I just don't have the cash to take it in and have them charge me their $60+/hr rate.. I'd like to do it myself to save the cash. I called in at this one place and they might give us a discount to have to have them do the brakes, A/C, and muffler. I'll find out more later on in the week.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Skip getting the AC fixed then and either hold off on the exhaust work or do that part yourself. The difference will pay for the brakes.

Well, talking to him it will save more to have all of it done at once by the guy, I already planned to do the muffler myself. (Have to get it done regardless, inspections are still done where I live)

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

btw: you could replace that car with an identical one that everything works on for about $2k. So think about it before dumping money into it.
    Jfarr likes this.

Well I got the car for less than 1k, problems were expected. I've already thought all about it but it's still going to be under 2k to get everything done, so I'm not complaining.

Well, it turns out. Where I thought it was leaking, was actually not the brakes. I put more in, pumped it, and now it's kinda pouring/leaking badly out the front near the front left tire.

Jfarr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlcoholicProgram View Post
    Well, it turns out. Where I thought it was leaking, was actually not the brakes. I put more in, pumped it, and now it's kinda pouring/leaking badly out the front near the front left tire.
    Sounds like a hose. Pull the wheel/rim and have someone stand on the brakes until you find the leak.
    If it is a hose you'll need a decent set of line wrenches to get them off without rounding the hex. I would replace all the hoses. If one is bad the other three are not far behind.

Hose or caliper, but it should be pretty evident when brake pressure is applied.

Alright, gonna hopefully pick up the jacks and stands today, and yank the tire off!

Jfarr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You've come to the right place. Great group of guys that are eager to help. Have saved me untold hours of work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.