No brake fluid, 97 DeVille - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, No brake fluid, 97 DeVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger If you have a leak it should be obvious. You should see brake fluid at one ...
    AlcoholicProgram is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 DeVille

Re: No brake fluid, 97 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    If you have a leak it should be obvious. You should see brake fluid at one of the 4 brake calipers or one of the lines or connections.

Do you know how to bleed brakes?

Don't attempt to drive it.
    Went to NAPA today and they told me that to pour some in and find the leak, I had them take a look at it and they said I'll need to replace my brake lines before I do anything. I asked them about bleeding the brakes and putting new fluid in and they told me it would just all leak out within the day. (Of course I was skeptical of it at first but it does make sense)
    My father is going to take a look at it and see where we should go from there, maybe if I can find the problem I'll post up a photo or so for some recommendations on stopping it. We may just end up taking it in and having the lines replaced.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

All depends on where the leak is. DO NOT start replacing lines without knowing what is leaking. That could get VERY expensive real fast. Diagnose, then repair.
    AlcoholicProgram likes this.

All depends on where the leak is. DO NOT start replacing lines without knowing what is leaking. That could get VERY expensive real fast. Diagnose, then repair.
    Hoping to drop off the car tomorrow at the mechanic for diagnosing. Only $45 for them to locate the problem in the brake lines and figure out what's wrong with my A/C Compressor, so I figured it was worth it. I'll report back on what they say.

I discovered where the brake fluid is leaking, I went ahead and cancelled my appointment at the mechanic. If I post some photos maybe someone can help me identify what needs to be done to fix it? It seems it is leaking out underneath the engine, a little bit closer towards the cabin.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

If you have a leak due to a rotted line, just do them all at once. I promise, it's worth it. When one blows, the others are right behind it, ALWAYS (the rest of them are just as rusty). Waiting for them to blow one by one is not worth the risk nor the headache.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    If you have a leak due to a rotted line, just do them all at once. I promise, it's worth it. When one blows, the others are right behind it, ALWAYS. Waiting for them to blow one by one is not worth the risk nor the headache.
    Sounds pricey, yet worth it.
    Where can I get all the brake lines at? Seems like it would be cheaper to buy them all together, rather than separately..

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    They're not sold pre bent. It needs to be bought in bulk, along with fittings. Custom bent and flared.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

No one will make pre-bent lines for this car. If you need them replaced, the laborer will end up buying some brake line stock and they'll have to bend/flare the lines themselves. EDIT: as MC said.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    They're not sold pre bent. It needs to be bought in bulk, along with fittings. Custom bent and flared.
    Ouch. Sounds even pricier! If I were to take it into a mechanic to replace them, can they (typically) replace all the lines?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yes. Parts are cheap, it's the labor that makes brake line replacement expensive.

We've got a buddy who's going to weld me on a new muffler, and fix up my A/C, hopefully he'll do the brake lines at a discounted price.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

First check it out. It may not be a rusted line. Start looking at the master cylinder and then follow the brake lines from there.

First check it out. It may not be a rusted line. Start looking at the master cylinder and then follow the brake lines from there.
    Gonna go take a look at it and see what I can find.

If I were to replace the hoses on my own (with some help from a friend) how hard is it to do so?
    What all needs to be done when replacing them?

EDIT: I just looked near the master cylinder and there is some hose sticking out from the engine with a metal cap(?) on it and it is just sitting there. Not sure what this has to do with or if I should even be concerned about this.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    That line with metal cap is vent for trans, leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    That line with metal cap is vent for trans, leave it be.
    Phew, I thought there was something else wrong with it. Thanks for clearing that up!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.