Radiator fans not spinning/AC Issue on 97 DeVille - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Radiator fans not spinning/AC Issue on 97 DeVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; In the high pressure line going across the top? 54978256.jpg...
    AlcoholicProgram is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 DeVille

Re: Radiator fans not spinning/AC Issue on 97 DeVille

In the high pressure line going across the top?
    54978256.jpg

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado
    EZChill is for vehicles with R12 which you don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by 13ir14314 View Post
    EZChill is for vehicles with R12 which you don't have.
    It says it works in R134a systems. I really only bought it to see if one of the adapters would fit on the vehicle as it seems my previous one was not wide enough. (Might need that new valve though)

Jfarr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Orifice tube;
    northstar (1).jpg
    Attached Images

Okay, cool.

Thanks for the help so far everyone, I'm going to try everything tomorrow, after I do it all I'm dropping it off at a mechanic shop to have my brake lines checked and they're checking the A/C system on top of it. I'll report back with everything they said on Wednesday or so.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

In order to get to the orifice tube you will have to open up the system to atmosphere. In order to recharge it you will have to pull a vacuum and to do that, you'll need a good set of gauges.

P.S.
    If you find any debris on the orifice tube screen, that means that the compressor is failing, in which case you will need to replace the compressor, accumulator and condenser and flush the evaporator and all the lines.

Well I just found out there was some o-ring stuck to the valve. Going to try and fill her on up with some refrigerant. I'll let you know what happens.

Alright, I was able to get the refrigerant in the system and the A/C works great!

Only one thing I noticed. Whenever I was putting refrigerant in the A/C Compressor was making a weird sound at times, sounded almost like clicking, or the sound a fan makes when you put paper through it (If you know what I mean), my dad said it's possible the compressor is still trying to run and get the refrigerant through (as it was completely empty previously) and is still trying to "warm" up. The sound doesn't happen whenever I leave the car running with A/C on, only when putting refrigerant in, and it's a very rare sound.

Any ideas?

Bugsy13ell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I am having this exact problem, although I did have a new engine put in my '96 Deville. And they did not hook up my A/C or Heater core. Would this affect the fans from cooling my engine?

The Donald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville delagance

A word to the wise.. If you dont know what you are doing or why, have a pro look at it you can really screw these systems up and it will cost much more to fix them then if you took it to a shop where knowledgeable people will do the job right. I take mine in once a year and have it serviced correctly, more damage is done by these cans of 134 then you would expect. Just my 2 cents.
    basscatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlcoholicProgram View Post
    Alright, I was able to get the refrigerant in the system and the A/C works great!

Only one thing I noticed. Whenever I was putting refrigerant in the A/C Compressor was making a weird sound at times, sounded almost like clicking, or the sound a fan makes when you put paper through it (If you know what I mean), my dad said it's possible the compressor is still trying to run and get the refrigerant through (as it was completely empty previously) and is still trying to "warm" up. The sound doesn't happen whenever I leave the car running with A/C on, only when putting refrigerant in, and it's a very rare sound.

Any ideas?
    Compressors DO NOT need to "warm up" or try to get refrigerant through it. It either has enough refrigerant in the system or it doesn't. The clicking you hear may be the clutch engaging and disengaging. You may be low (or high) on refrigerant. How much did you add? What are your high and low side pressures. Adding refrigerant is not like adding gas. You DO NOT just fill it up. Refer to post #40. Did you open the system to check the orifice tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy13ell View Post
    I am having this exact problem, although I did have a new engine put in my '96 Deville. And they did not hook up my A/C or Heater core. Would this affect the fans from cooling my engine?
    If your A/C is not running, the fans do not need to run unless the engine exceeds 224 degrees. They are auxiliary in nature when it comes to engine temperature, but run all the time when the A/C is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Compressors DO NOT need to "warm up" or try to get refrigerant through it. It either has enough refrigerant in the system or it doesn't. The clicking you hear may be the clutch engaging and disengaging. You may be low (or high) on refrigerant. How much did you add? What are your high and low side pressures. Adding refrigerant is not like adding gas. You DO NOT just fill it up. Refer to post #40. Did you open the system to check the orifice tube?
    As I do not have the proper tools, I let the orifice tube be. And I may be a little low, need probably one more can or so. But the clicking is not the clutch engaging and disengaging, I can confirm this. It's a different sound than that and when it happens it goes for a good 15 seconds or so.

need probably one more can or so.
    Remember, the system only holds about 2.2 lbs.

Hmm.. I used almost all three cans (pulled the first off two early and ended up wasting some) which should put me at about 2lbs, maybe a little less. Think I should pick up another can and put in a little bit? (Each can of the EZ Chill is 12oz.)

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    You're on the road to dorking your AC up and killing the compressor...
    Those quicko cans are dangerous, they only give low pressure & that is not all the information you need to do it properly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.