radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ok replaced radiator. turnd enigine on with heat to high. added coolant and let it circulate until fans came on. ...
    cajunboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville

radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank.

ok replaced radiator. turnd enigine on with heat to high. added coolant and let it circulate until fans came on. then in the tank i can see it bubbling over. i turned engine off. coolant goes back into the system as it cools down. start engine again and same thing. also overheating. before i replaced radiator none of this was happening. i replaced radiator because of a leak. is it possible there is a air pocket behind thermostat which causes the coolant to go backwards not circulating around whole system. please help thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank.

Check the purge line.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Fill the surge tank and run the engine up to 2,000 rpm for a few seconds - it may take a couple of these to force coolant throughout the system and push out remaining air pockets. It may take a day or two for the coolant level to stabilize at the proper half full cold level.

"Heat to high" does nothing - the heater core in our cars is full flow at all times - cabin temperature is regulated by outside air and temperature blend door opening angles.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

I agree with dkozloski -
    check the PURGE LINE - a fairly common cause of overheating problems -
    ---------------------

the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage -

I had no problems before changing the radiator. Right now the tank is empty when I turn the engine on for awhile it is going to overflow. So the purge line would get the air out even if there is a air pocket behind thermostat.

----------

Is there a way it can be electrical.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunboy View Post
    I had no problems before changing the radiator. Right now the tank is empty when I turn the engine on for awhile it is going to overflow. So the purge line would get the air out even if there is a air pocket behind thermostat.

----------

--------------------------------
    So the purge line would get the air out
    even if there is a air pocket behind thermostat.

YES - providing the PURGE LINE is flowing coolant
    when the engine is running -

the PURGE LINE is the ONLY way to get air out of the cooling system -
    regardless of WHERE the air pocket may be -

NO

Ok very cool the purge line is clogged. I took the hose off in tank side started the engine and nothing came out. Took off water pump side at hollow bolt and coolant came out. Took steel hose off from rubber hose attached to hollow bolt started engine coolant came out instantly. Put steel hose back on to the rubber hose started engine nothing came out from steel hose on the tank side. Took steel hose off blew into it and nothing came out. Should I blow some compressed air in a can into the steel hose to clear it out or replace it. I went to o Reilly's they said I might need to get it from the dealer. Does anyone know who carries purge lines and part number. Thanks do much.

Ok very cool the purge line is clogged. I took the hose off in tank side started the engine and nothing came out. Took off water pump side at hollow bolt and coolant came out. Took steel hose off from rubber hose attached to hollow bolt started engine coolant came out instantly. Put steel hose back on to the rubber hose started engine nothing came out from steel hose on the tank side. Took steel hose off blew into it and nothing came out. Should I blow some compressed air in a can into the steel hose to clear it out or replace it. I went to o Reilly's they said I might need to get it from the dealer. Does anyone know who carries purge lines and part number. Thanks do much.
    ----------------------
    Does anyone know who carries purge lines and part number
    you can use the correct diameter fuel line -

gas hose is reinforced -
    so it will withstand the pressure of the cooling system without a problem -

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Blowing out with compressed air should clear it. If you don't have a compressor, take it to any shop. I doubt they'll even charge you for it.

----------

ok replaced radiator. turnd enigine on with heat to high. added coolant and let it circulate until fans came on. then in the tank i can see it bubbling over.
    Wait a minute. Are you doing this with the cap off? If so, it's acting as I would expect it to. The cap is there to provide pressure and thus raise the boiling point. Without a cap it gonna boil at about 224 degrees.

Basscatt do you know if they make purge steel hose that I can purchase. I just rather get the same part.
    Ranger I am going to try compressed air you buy in the can.
    When putting coolant back into the system I thought the cap is to be off to gauge the level. Any way I did drive it a little with the cap on and it overheated.
    With the purge steel hose clogged the system can't circulate right causing overheating right.
    I am just hoping it is the purge. It makes since.

Ok if anyone was to replace a radiator how would you'll refill the system. Remember 2002 deville or n*. Thanks fellas

Basscatt do you know if they make purge steel hose that I can purchase. I just rather get the same part.
    Ranger I am going to try compressed air you buy in the can.
    When putting coolant back into the system I thought the cap is to be off to gauge the level. Any way I did drive it a little with the cap on and it overheated.
    With the purge steel hose clogged the system can't circulate right causing overheating right.
    I am just hoping it is the purge. It makes since.

Ok if anyone was to replace a radiator how would you'll refill the system. Remember 2002 deville or n*. Thanks fellas
    ----------------------------
    Basscatt do you know if they make purge steel hose that I can purchase
    sure - GM 25692230 -

#004 - $18.45 plus shipping -
    http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...037&SortKey=48

I am going to try compressed air you buy in the can.
    that is useful for blowing the dust off a computer keyboard -
    but totally USELESS for blowing crud out of a clogged purge line -
    no where near the volume and pressure required -

With the purge steel hose clogged
    the system can't circulate right causing overheating right

100% CORRECT -

Ok if anyone was to replace a radiator
    how would you'll refill the system

you are doing it right -
    your problem IS the clogged purge line -

Man thanks for the info. But I wish I can get it at a store or maybe the dealer. I live in Houston and I need my car to go to work just do not have the time to wait. I used my wife's car today but she goes back to work tomorrow. I guess I will go to a shop and see if they can blow it clean. The price isn't bad on that web site.

Man thanks for the info. But I wish I can get it at a store or maybe the dealer. I live in Houston and I need my car to go to work just do not have the time to wait. I used my wife's car today but she goes back to work tomorrow. I guess I will go to a shop and see if they can blow it clean. The price isn't bad on that web site.
    ------------------------------
    I wish I can get it at a store
    at a regular parts store - NO - definitely a dealer item -

or maybe the dealer.
    maybe - call Caddy dealers - you have the part number -
    but I bet they will have to order it -figure around $25 -

but like I said before - you could use rubber gas line -
    available at any auto parts store -

Ok would this work Spectre Fuel Hose Kit 3/8" x 3' with Red & Blue Magna-Clamps
    There are different lengths but all stainless. Advanced auto parts or rubber ones better also I need to run across engine and put cover back on.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

If you're in a hurry, you could temporarily substitute it with a reinforced 3/8 fuel line. Many parts stores have them in reels and will cut them as you need. Disconnect the start/end points of the purge line, and connect both with the reinforced 3/8 fuel line, while keeping the line below the height of the surge tank nipple.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.