radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; If the coolant level is where it's supposed to be and you are in fact overheating, you may have a ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank.

If the coolant level is where it's supposed to be and you are in fact overheating, you may have a bad cap (or not properly secured). If that's not the case, then it might be time for a block test.

cajunboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville
    First of all I am worried that my dumba** might blow the hg. But let me get this straight. I see that the gauge display whatever has H which means hot da? If it goes all the way to that point. Is that ok just keep running the engine. So if I am driving and it gets that high I am still ok. Shouldn't that make anyone nervous. Is the car going say hey dude pull over I am about too blow if in fact it is over heating. I took hot as overheating I can see that there are different. This is my first radiator exchange on a car. I have done one on a dodge diesel and it is quiet different. I had none of these issues before the replacement. I changed the radiator due to a leak . Come on baby give me that big burp I don't want to take you to the doctor.

I also got a brand new stant cap.

----------

Do a block test to see if HG is busted right. This is exactly what I am trying to prevent. So now I went from a leak in the radiator to a possible Head gasket issue. Ranger are you trying to scare me or help me. I am going to do what slip not advised first than if that doesn't get it I will bring it to a shop and maybe do a flush start over . Awesome

----------

I meant slipgate

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    A flush won't do a thing. Get an IR thermometer, and confirm it's overheating first.

Just got back from work checked the coolant level and it has gone down to bottom of expansion tank. Awesome maybe it finally burped. Going to sleep but when I wake up I will get back to it. I need to add more coolant to the top mark right. Than start the engine get to 2500 to 3000 rpm and hold it but for how long. And if it gets above normal temp. Keep going with it right. Until what point will I know it is purged no more air and ready to go cruising again. Thanks bedtime check back later.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Once you start to have good flow the temps will settle down and the remaining air will purge easier. Fill to the full mark (usually half way). At this point, just driving it should purge the rest of the air I don't think you need to rev it up.

Not trying to scare you, just covering all the bases (based on what you are telling us). That said, I really doubt you have a blown HG. I think you just have a stubborn one that doesn't want to purge. Did you use the correct thermostat?

Yes, H means hot and the car will give you all sorts of warnings when it get too hot.

Until what point will I know it is purged no more air and ready to go cruising again.
    When the coolant level and temperature stabilize.

Alright I'm going to fill to correct level start it up with heat on and take it for a spin. Hopefully it stabilizes. Wish me luck.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

BTW: You don't need the heat on - it is just a quick check to see if coolant is flowing. It has no bearing over coolant flow itself.

You're in Texas. Don't make it worse than need be. Turn the A/C on.
    maeng9981 likes this.

Right I be the one overheating. Lol

Awesome dudes I took it for about 20 miles it never went above normal temp. I let sit check the coolant level and perfect I think we did it. Appreciate all you'll help and patience with me. I was just paranoid with the temperature. Now I know. I feel confident that I can work on my car and do a decent job. I also changed out the front engine mount it was shot. Overall it cost me about $150 for parts and tools. I know I saved a lot of $$$. I just hope it last me awhile. Thanks

Glad to hear that it's finally back to normal. Now enjoy it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.