radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; +1 let it cool down and I bet you will be able to add more coolant. Did the 2002s not ...
    Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: radiator replaced but bubbling up out of surge tank.

+1 let it cool down and I bet you will be able to add more coolant. Did the 2002s not have digital readout gauges? Is there a dash display where you can cycle through readings? Don't lose hope. Like I said, these cars are notoriously hard to get air out of the cooling system when it is evacuated. It will burp and be ok.

cajunboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville
    I let it cool off checked the level and it was just where it should be. I took it for a ride and it started overheating again. I did have a thump sound was that the engine burp. Right now I letting it cool off I am looking at the coolant level and it is not going down. I only put 1 1/2 gallons.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Have you removed the safety shroud and visually checked the water pump drive belt and tensioner pulley ?

Yes pulley seems fine belt also. Describe a engine burp thanks

I think they're saying that, when the cooling system is able to move enough coolant to force an air bubble/air lock out of wherever it is and the resulting aerated coolant passes the water pump to get ejected into the purge line > surge tank - - - the engine "burps". I doubt that you would feel it.

Same idea as turning on a garden hose that has been unused for a while - several spits, bubbles, steady stream.

Well I did everything. The radiator top hose got hot thus the thermostat opened so that not the problem. Fans are blowing. Purge line is unclogged. And I am getting hot air from heat which indicates enough coolant. But it still overheats. Am I supposed to idle while it is overheating. Or shut it off. I am frustrated sorry. I changed out the front engine mount and that came out a success. I guess I'll bring it to a shop and have them look at it. I don't like bringing it to the shop right in front my apartment complex there strictly about money and expensive. But I don't want to go to far. I still have some hope. So if anyone can give me a tip or solution as you'll have been doing ill appreciate it. Thanks

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Are you sure it's actually overheating?

Has for has the temp display yes it got to 3 bars over normal the first time I drove it. And two over the second time. I shut car off and the fans kept running for about 2 mins. Hey what the gauges can be wrong. What u think can it be. I am in my car right now and the coolant is at the correct mark. So I do not know but I just scared to go 14 miles to work and it overheats in me. Head gasket can go. Please help

----------

When the engine is on does the coolant rise in the tank. I just turned the heater on and it is blowing hot air.
    Ok it has been running 20 mins. And already 1 bar above normal temp.

----------

The hoses are hot and stiff. Ok 2 bars over ok I shut engine off fans still blowing.

Xavier23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac deville

have 03 deville not having the issue but where is the purge line

How many "bars" in the graphic display ? IF there are 9, my guess is that they correspond to the tick marks on the analog "gauges" in other models. IF SO, then the fifth bar is 186 - 214 degrees (the readout is heavily damped). Do you own, or can you borrow, an IR thermometer ? It would be good to know what the coolant temp is at the water pump cover when the temp readout in the DIC is at "2 bars over normal".

IF
    the DIC temp bars correspond to the analog gauge ticks, there is an annotated gauge in my albums. ^^^ Community tab, Albums, the red Seville.

Ok would ipm current code have anything to do with it. IPM 0429

B 0429 ??? - refers to the diverter door/actuator for air to the rear seat console controls.

Purge line runs across top of engine from water pump side to surge tank. It gets to two bars and I shut it off. The hoses are stiff and hot so I know it is flowing something around coolant and air maybe. This is driving me crazy. I have a feeling it is something simple but I can not point it out.

Have you gone back and read all the posts to this thread in the last day or so - ?????

Coolant hoses are SUPPOSED to get stiff and hot: They're carrying 200+ degree coolant at 18 psi.

If the engine is sitting there, idling, it's no wonder it gets hot. Let it run until the fans come on at 224 degrees - then let it run some more. If everything is normal the engine will cool to 213 degrees, fans turn off, and the cycle starts again.

IR thermometer ???? Cylinder block exhaust gas test ???

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

I think you are worrying over nothing. I think there is still a bit of air in the system. Getting hot is not the same as overheating. Your car has a lot of safeguards to protect the engine in the event of a real overheating. I would park it for the night and when you come out in the morning see if it needs more coolant. If not, just drive it until all the air is worked out. The cooling system will not work 100% until all the air is purged.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.