Does My DeVille Need a Brain Transplant...???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Does My DeVille Need a Brain Transplant...??? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Guys, We have a 2004 DeVille that we bought about a year ago. When we first got it, everything seemed ...
    DevilleNut is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac DeVille DHS

Does My DeVille Need a Brain Transplant...???

Guys,

We have a 2004 DeVille that we bought about a year ago. When we first got it, everything seemed to work fine. But after a few months, it started to exhibit some strange behaviors. Some of them are:

1) Occasionally, while sitting in the garage the horn will give a short beep and the car will lock itself, like someone had used the keyless remote.

2) Saturday, with the car sitting in the garage, the car alarm started beeping like someone had pushed the red HORN button on the keyless remote. It stopped after 10 or 15 seconds.

3) Occasionally, when I open the door and the seat and steering wheel move to the EXIT position, when I return to the car, the seat and wheel have moved back to the DRIVE position on their own.

4) Occasionally, after my wife has been driving the car, I get in and push the "1" button to return the wheel and seat to the positions that I use. I press the button, but when I release it, the seat and wheel and mirrors stop moving. I have to hold down the "1" button to get everything to the correct position.

5) Occasionally, when I put the key into the ignition the seat and wheel do not move to the DRIVE position. I have to press the "1" button.

6) Occasionally, when I remove the key from the ignition, the seat and wheel do not move to the EXIT position. I have to press the EXIT button.

I'm pretty sure that the programmable modules in the car have not been reloaded since the car was manufactured, because last year I went to the dealer and asked about having the cigarette lighter sockets powered at all times. The service manager told me that they reloaded the Power Control Module because it had back-level software. Any chance that reloading the modules in my car with the latest software will cure some of these problems?

Thanks for the help.

Bob

P.S., Reloading the PCM with updated software did not make the cigarette lighters turn on. You need a wiring change to do that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Does My DeVille Need a Brain Transplant...???

The cigarette lighter receptacles have 2 fuses in the underhood fuse box. The fuse/relay legend is on a sticker in the fuse box top. The sockets are 3-slot 2-position: fuses on one side of the sockets, receptacles time out with RAP; fuses on the other side of the sockets, receptacles are hot at all times.

Go back and study the personalization section of your owner's manual. Perhaps a manual re-program of everything would straighten out the oddball movements ........... BUT, what is this "alarm" thing ?? If there's an aftermarket stereo, alarm or remote start in the car, all electronic and personalization bets are off.

Curious that the key fobs 1 and 2 do not actuate the Positions 1 and 2 when you unlock and insert the key ......... the keys don't set the personalization features, the fobs do. You unlock with Fob 1 and the car says "Here he comes." You stick your key in the ignition and the car adjusts for you (maybe steering wheel tilt waits until Key: ON). She unlocks with Fob 2 and the process changes to her settings.

BlackInjun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Deville

This really sounds like it has an aftermarket alarm system that may be acting up

Submariner,

Thanks for the info on the cigarette lighter sockets. The dealer showed me a schematic and said that in order to make the sockets hot at all times, you had to cut a wire and ground it, so that a relay in the Power Module would not open the circuit after a 3 minute delay. I will definitely look into what you told me. My wife likes to leave her cell phone in the car and charge it from the front cigarette lighter, but that doesn't work when the power shuts off after 3 minutes.

As far as I can see, the car is pure stock, i.e., no aftermarket stuff.

When I said "alarm", I meant that the car sounded like the alarm had been actuated - the horn beeped repeatedly. But it also stopped after 10 - 15 seconds. This may be how it would work if I were to push the red button on the fob and then let it keep blowing the horn. I've never pushed the red button and left it time out, so I don't know exactly how it would work.

I'm wondering if there might be something wrong in the Memory Seat Module. I've run the diagnostics and pulled codes, but nothing about the MSM came up. It seems like the MSM might be involved with the weird seat actions.

I'll go back and run through the personalization again. I don't think that it can hurt anything and might even fix the problems, as you suggested.

Bob

Open your fuse box - look at the number legend - see anything that looks like these 2 fuse sockets - 3 holes each .................

(Seville fuse box, but maybe close to a DHS ...............)

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

also open up your remotes and make sure that the surface between the rubber buttons and the circuit board is clean

it will often get mucked up ... electrical contact cleaner is best but in a pinch just about anything will do - even just wiping it off
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by DevilleNut View Post
    Guys,

We have a 2004 DeVille that we bought about a year ago. When we first got it, everything seemed to work fine. But after a few months, it started to exhibit some strange behaviors. Some of them are:

1) Occasionally, while sitting in the garage the horn will give a short beep and the car will lock itself, like someone had used the keyless remote.

2) Saturday, with the car sitting in the garage, the car alarm started beeping like someone had pushed the red HORN button on the keyless remote. It stopped after 10 or 15 seconds.

3) Occasionally, when I open the door and the seat and steering wheel move to the EXIT position, when I return to the car, the seat and wheel have moved back to the DRIVE position on their own.

4) Occasionally, after my wife has been driving the car, I get in and push the "1" button to return the wheel and seat to the positions that I use. I press the button, but when I release it, the seat and wheel and mirrors stop moving. I have to hold down the "1" button to get everything to the correct position.

5) Occasionally, when I put the key into the ignition the seat and wheel do not move to the DRIVE position. I have to press the "1" button.

6) Occasionally, when I remove the key from the ignition, the seat and wheel do not move to the EXIT position. I have to press the EXIT button.

I'm pretty sure that the programmable modules in the car have not been reloaded since the car was manufactured, because last year I went to the dealer and asked about having the cigarette lighter sockets powered at all times. The service manager told me that they reloaded the Power Control Module because it had back-level software. Any chance that reloading the modules in my car with the latest software will cure some of these problems?

Thanks for the help.

Bob

P.S., Reloading the PCM with updated software did not make the cigarette lighters turn on. You need a wiring change to do that.
    ------------------------------------
    You need a wiring change to do that
    actually - it takes less than a minute to do -
    just move the 2 fuses -

for constant power of the cigar lighter circuits -

under the hood fuse box - move fuses #22 and #23 -

move #22 to the right 1 notch -
    move #23 to the left 1 notch - and that's it - DONE -
    ------------------------------

depending on the options your car has -
    check out the Owners Manual for various settings -

check out page 2-56 for MEMORY settings -

for DIC PERSONALIZATION -
    check out 3-40 for radio and climate control -
    3-69 and 3-70 list the instructions for FEATURE PROGRAMMING -

Guys,

Thanks for all of the info.

The info about moving the fuses doesn't give me much confidence in the dealer. As I said before, he showed me a schematic and pointed out where a wire from the cigarette lighter goes to the Rear Integration Module that has a relay inside. After a 3 minute delay, the relay opens and the connection to ground is opened. He stated that it would be necessary to cut the wire and tie it to ground so that the circuit would continue to be powered. The fuse idea makes more sense, especially since the owner's manual states that if you want the sockets on all the time you need to see the dealer. I wouldn't think that cutting and grounding wires would be something that a dealer would normally do to change the vehicle's operation.

Bob

Have you moved the fuses ??? ............... Post #5

Guys,

Thanks for all of the info.

The info about moving the fuses doesn't give me much confidence in the dealer. As I said before, he showed me a schematic and pointed out where a wire from the cigarette lighter goes to the Rear Integration Module that has a relay inside. After a 3 minute delay, the relay opens and the connection to ground is opened. He stated that it would be necessary to cut the wire and tie it to ground so that the circuit would continue to be powered. The fuse idea makes more sense, especially since the owner's manual states that if you want the sockets on all the time you need to see the dealer. I wouldn't think that cutting and grounding wires would be something that a dealer would normally do to change the vehicle's operation.

Bob
    ----------------------------
    The info about moving the fuses
    doesn't give me much confidence in the dealer.

GEE - REALLY? - and do you think you are the FIRST to say this?

who are you going to believe?

some CLOWN at the dealership - that can barely spell Cadillac -
    that obviously doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground -

or US - who actually OWN Cadillacs -
    and what's printed in the OWNERS MANUAL -

this - copied from page 5-100 of the Owners Manual -

Fuse 22 or 23 can be moved to the outer position to
    enable the accessory power outlets or cigarette lighter
    when the ignition is not on.

-------------------------------

he showed me a schematic
    and pointed out where a wire
    from the cigarette lighter goes to the Rear Integration Module
    that has a relay inside.
    After a 3 minute delay,
    the relay opens and the connection to ground is opened.

that is the RAP system - Retained Accessory Power -
    and the timer is for 10 minutes -
    NOT 3 minutes - like the CLOWN stated -

The fuse idea makes more sense,
    especially since the owner's manual states that
    if you want the sockets on all the time you need to see the dealer

read that part over again -

what the Owners Manual actually says is this - page 3-29 -

The accessory power outlet will only operate when the
    ignition is in ACCESSORY or ON -
    and for 10 minutes after turning the ignition OFF.
    If you would like the accessory power outlet to operate
    regardless of ignition position, and for extended periods of time,
    see your dealer for more information.

OR - page 5-100 -
    right under the instructions to move the fuses -
    See your dealer for additional assistance, if needed

Submariner,

I just took a stroll out to the garage and popped the cover off of the fuse holder, and just like Ranger said, there were two 20 amp fuses in the holder marked C/Liter. I took out the little plastic fuse remover that is included in the holder and TRIED to remove the fuses. I emphasize the word "tried" because those little buggers wouldn't budge. I pulled on the remover until it slipped off of the fuses but no luck. Compounding the problem is the fact that there is a wiring harness and clamp right next to, and above, the fuses making access to them difficult. Is there a better tool available for removing the fuses? Even though the fuse remover that came with the car doesn't seem to work all that well, I still don't want to ruin it.

Bob

Submariner,

I just took a stroll out to the garage and popped the cover off of the fuse holder, and just like Ranger said, there were two 20 amp fuses in the holder marked C/Liter. I took out the little plastic fuse remover that is included in the holder and TRIED to remove the fuses. I emphasize the word "tried" because those little buggers wouldn't budge. I pulled on the remover until it slipped off of the fuses but no luck. Compounding the problem is the fact that there is a wiring harness and clamp right next to, and above, the fuses making access to them difficult. Is there a better tool available for removing the fuses? Even though the fuse remover that came with the car doesn't seem to work all that well, I still don't want to ruin it.

Bob
    -----------------------------
    Is there a better tool available for removing the fuses?
    keep in mind that those fuses have probably been untouched
    for 9+ years - so they are going to be a little hard getting out -

try a firm grip with a long nose pliers -

Basscatt,

Obviously, I missed the statement on page 5-100 that tells you to move the fuses. I DID remember the section from 3-29 which said "for more information, see your dealer". That's what I did. He gave me the wrong information. It was the service manager that I talked to, not one of the mechanics. If anyone should know how the darn car works, it should be him! To me, it would have made sense to refer the user to page 5-100, when the accessory power outlets were being discussed on page 3-29.

I don't dispute the knowledge of the people on this forum. Nor was I questioning whether you guys know more than the dealer. The dealer is SUPPOSED to be the expert on the car. And I went there BEFORE I ever found this forum. As far as the 3 minutes versus 10 minutes goes, that was my bad memory - the manual says 10 minutes.

Bob

Basscatt,

Obviously, I missed the statement on page 5-100 that tells you to move the fuses. I DID remember the section from 3-29 which said "for more information, see your dealer". That's what I did. He gave me the wrong information. It was the service manager that I talked to, not one of the mechanics. If anyone should know how the darn car works, it should be him! To me, it would have made sense to refer the user to page 5-100, when the accessory power outlets were being discussed on page 3-29.

I don't dispute the knowledge of the people on this forum. Nor was I questioning whether you guys know more than the dealer. The dealer is SUPPOSED to be the expert on the car. And I went there BEFORE I ever found this forum. As far as the 3 minutes versus 10 minutes goes, that was my bad memory - the manual says 10 minutes.

Bob
    ------------------
    It was the service manager that I talked to, not one of the mechanics.
    If anyone should know how the darn car works, it should be him!

I couldn't agree more -
    but time after time - we hear the same type of thing -
    basic ignorance on the part of service managers
    and service advisers at the dealers -

To me, it would have made sense to refer the user to page 5-100,
    when the accessory power outlets were being discussed on page 3-29

I totally agree - it was dumb not to -

The dealer is SUPPOSED to be the expert on the car.
    here is the problem with the dealer mechanics -
    they must "follow the book" - and for the most part -
    they don't FIX anything - they simply replace parts -

a PRIME EXAMPLE - of FIX vs REPLACE -
    read about the Deville window problem -
    affectionately known as the DEVILLE POP-N-DROP WINDOWS -

one of our members came up with a permanent FIX - to the problem -
    compared to the dealer's solution of constantly replacing the regulators -

And I went there BEFORE I ever found this forum
    at least you know where to go for GOOD advise from now on -

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    "Service manager" doesn't mean a thing anymore. It's just a rank, a meaningless title that says "I've been here longer and get paid more". All but one if the service managers I've come across, have had very little knowledge (even general knowledge), and several have made things up while trying to explain something, instead of just saying "I don't know", and finding out. Most dealerships are pretty sad.
    basscatt likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.