An afternoon in the 95 SDV
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, An afternoon in the 95 SDV in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had the day off so I decided to make a trip to Chattanooga, Tenn. It's only about 50 or ...
    ga_caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

An afternoon in the 95 SDV

I had the day off so I decided to make a trip to Chattanooga, Tenn. It's only about 50 or 60 miles north. normally I can make this trip on a little less than 3 gallons of gas. It shows I have 7 gallons, no problem. Well before I headed north I ran some errands around town, maybe 36 miles total. Still have 7 gallons of fuel. I head to Tenn and notice that going up hill she is cutting out a little, like it's missing under load. I figure ok, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. I get to where I'm going and I now have 5 gallons of fuel.

I get back in the car a few hours later and it shows E Well now how in the world did that happen? I stopped at the gas station and filled up. I put 18.75 gallons into the tank, which means I had 1.25 gallons in there already. Driving home I did some quick math and found everything to be correct, except the fuel gage. It seems to be read fine until the level gets to about 1/4 tank. So once again, I guess I need to watch the mileage. Of just fill up when it gets between a half and quarter tank.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on.

Oh yeah, it didn't cut or miss at all on the way home.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: An afternoon in the 95 SDV

IMO, filling the tank when it gets empty is only a good excuse to replace the fuel pump........ When the fuel level gets really low, it will slosh more, so the reading wont be quite right...... And, as it gets lower, the pickup wont be able to suck all the fuel it needs.......

I *always* fill up my car before it gets to 1/4 tank...... Its better on the pump, and its always a little nicer on your wallet.......

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    I've always had bad luck with fuel guages. My old 75 deville the fuel gauge only worked 1/4 the time, and now my 78 FWB's gauge says full at about half, then drops down really quickly from there. It's always a little scary when you drive 10 miles and the fuel gauge drops by 1/4" (analog gauge - 1978).

But I try to avoid letting it go any lower than 1/4 tank on the gauge, which would be 1/8 tank in reality.

ga_caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    I've always had bad luck with fuel guages. My old 75 deville the fuel gauge only worked 1/4 the time, and now my 78 FWB's gauge says full at about half, then drops down really quickly from there. It's always a little scary when you drive 10 miles and the fuel gauge drops by 1/4" (analog gauge - 1978).

But I try to avoid letting it go any lower than 1/4 tank on the gauge, which would be 1/8 tank in reality.
    My 84 SDV had a fuel gauge like that. It worked good until there was a half tank, then it would stay there until a quarter tank. And when the Low Fuel light came on, you need to get gas right away.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Refilling @ 1/4 tank is also a good idea to help avoid sediment and crap getting into the system.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Very true......

Another good thing to do...... NEVER fill up while the tanker is filling their tanks..... There's all sorts of crap that gets stirred during their fill up times.......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.